Author Topic: Alpha Texture Issues On Track Scenery  (Read 1185 times)

The Very End

Great to hear you found a solution :) As you say, the tags are everything. You can do things like #noshadows and #xtree on spectators and "x-trees" to save performance (preventing shadows etc). There also is a tag like #billboard or something which will make an object turn where the camera is heading, making static objects such as flat spectators look more "alive" than what they really are.
STRmods posted a list sometime ago with a big number of tags, but there are still a lot out there to be used.

Mazay

I had issues with the alpha channelling not working because when I originally converted the textures to bmap, they had _c as a filename suffix, and I renamed them to _c5 afterwards. when a texture is converted, if the filename ends in _c, the alpha channel is discarded. If a texture ends in _c5, the alpha channel is kept. So my game was reading from a bmap with no alpha data.

How you came to that conclusion? I did testing, took example car lights_c5.tga > rename lights_c.tga > build_asset.bat > Breckfest, and alpha channel is still there.
I am confused about it. Maybe _c , _c5 affects something else, like shader?

About the Breckfest's poor quality, I wrote it in wiki https://dummiesman.com/wfwiki/index.php/Breckfest Hopefully more modders find it there.

Dalags

I found it strange too, but I double checked it before posting, and I've just checked it again to confirm this is the case.
(Throughout, I used the same .tga file, and deleted the .bmaps before conducting the next test, to ensure a new .bmap was being created)

On my track, in the diffuse slot is: crowd_c5.tga
I converted crowd_c.tga with the Photoshop plugin, to produce crowd_c.bmap. I then renamed it to crowd_c5.bmap - The alpha channel did not work ingame.
I renamed crowd_c.tga to crowd_c5.tga, and converted with the Photoshop plugin to produce crowd_c5.bmap - The alpha channel worked ingame.

I changed the diffuse slot to have: crowd_c.tga
I converted crowd_c5.tga with the Photoshop plugin to produce crowd_c5.bmap. I then renamed it to crowd_c.bmap - The alpha channel worked ingame.
I renamed crowd_c5.tga to crowd_c.tga, and converted with the Photoshop plugin to produce crowd_c.bmap - The alpha channel did not work ingame.

If a .tga is converted with the _c5 suffix, alpha is kept in the resulting .bmap.
If a .tga is conerted with the _c suffix, alpha is discarded in the resulting .bmap.
I did the same tests with having crowd.tga in the diffuse slot, converting crowd_c5.tga, renaming the .bmap to crowd.bmap, and the alpha worked ingame.
The _c5 only seems to matter during the texture conversion process.

Mazay

On my track, in the diffuse slot is: crowd_c5.tga
I converted crowd_c.tga with the Photoshop plugin, to produce crowd_c.bmap. I then renamed it to crowd_c5.bmap - The alpha channel did not work ingame.
I renamed crowd_c.tga to crowd_c5.tga, and converted with the Photoshop plugin to produce crowd_c5.bmap - The alpha channel worked ingame.

Thanks for answer. That clears it a bit. And you must be on something as most of example files with transparency have the _c5.tga at the end.

I did my testing and I am more confused again. On my track I am originally using wire grid derby1_fence2_c1.bmap for walls which I tried to replace with other textures.
I renamed car part lights_c5.tga and windows_c5.tga with different extensions, converted with build asset and renamed at the end to grid derby1_fence2_c1.bmap again.

_c.tga:
_c5.tga:
_c1.tga:

With lights_c5.tga, _c and _c5 are differently buggy but clearly have some transparency, _c1 does not have transparency at all probably because partial transparency is not allowed in that file.
With windows_c5.tga, _c seems be broken, but others work as I would expect them to.

Edit: Now it seems more clear. Probably _c1.tga should be used when there is not need for partial transparency and _c5 for rest of transparent surfaces, even tho it's bit buggy(?)

Edit2: All bugs with _c.tga seems to appear only at backside of #twosided material. Front side works ok, but without transparency.
_c5.tga keeps bugging whatever I do, but it's way less visible with the more transparent texture.

Edit3: The real difference between _c.bmap or _c5.bmap seems to be only in file path inside the file.
 _c.bmap with disabled transparency can be fixed just by adding c5 in bagedit:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:40:35 PM by Mazay »