Author Topic: Do we got our first case of mod stealing at Steam Workshop?  (Read 1170 times)

Purple44

This was brought to my attention today that this "modder" was using another mod in his mod and did not have permission!

Next Car Game: Original Cars

STRmods 2 hours ago
Thanks for copy and pasting from my Xmas mod without permission to create this!

So lazy that you didn't even check the files properly and you left my name plastered all over it, good job giving yourself away ;D

You might want to ask for permission before copy and pasting other peoples mods into your own... Some people actually take the time to put effort into their mods ;)

Proof...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1109817695
and...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1109819610
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

STRmods

I hope this won't happen to any of us in future, the Wreckfest modding community needs to be friendly and helpful. Not like this, stealing and trying to claim as your own by changing small things to make it less obvious. It's very rude, and as modders we should have respect for each other (as most of us here do). When you want to use someone's work as part or whole, it is nice to ask for permission first, and if they say no you should respect that. Unfortunately they didn't even ask me and clearly had no intention of giving credit for my work they are using. Now for me personally this kind of thing makes me not want to continue making mods if people will just rip them off and use it as their own, it makes the hours of work you put into the mod seem pointless. If this kind of thing continued enough to make me quit then that's one less creator for this game, then if it happens to someone else and they feel the same... Then that's another. I think this could be pretty damaging to the game if it ever got to that level of mod stealing, since ever since modding came to Wreckfest I think it has been a big part of it, with so much creativity from the community. It would be a shame for that to be ruined.

I have tried to add the mod author on steam, as well as the comments I left on his mod page. Hopefully this can be resolved without any problems after talking with them. I will update when I have any news on it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:11:26 AM by STRmods »

RickyB

Do we got our first case of mod stealing at Steam Workshop?

No, it's at least the second time. Well maybe not a complete mod, but someone just copy and pasted something from my old 8-o-Rama mod without asking, a long time ago. I left a comment on the mod page that just got deleted. Doesn't matter, mod isn't around anymore since some game update broke most track mods.

Purple44

This guy Piss Cakehole just deleted the 2 posts by STRmods and Devils Shadow and my post.

I did send a PM to Janne with a link to this thread.

STRmods

Well, it seems they didn't like being caught... They deleted me from friends and blocked me (assuming after they read the pm I sent) and removed  comments on the mod page. So it's pretty obvious they don't care about modder ethics. Apparently deleted Shadow and Purple44's comments (I didn't see their comments but Purple44 told me) So he must have deleted all 3 comments at once as soon as he saw them.

The good news is the mod author has removed the copied content with an update to the mod today, partially atleast...  The art folder remains with my ragdoll file inside still but the main vehicle folders are still there but with no files. So at least the ragdoll isn't being used I guess...

Happier knowing it is solved for now, hopefully nothing else like this happens to me again or anyone else :)

Mod has reduced 400mb in size with the new update (the 2 vehicles that were from my mod)
And I left a new comment to thank him for doing so, while he didn't say sorry I appreciate he at least removed the content.

*edit*
He removed my comment again, can't even accept my thanks when this time it was genuine...  :(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:50:56 PM by STRmods »

St. Jimmy

If some problem occurs I believe BugBear can mark the mod as "not compatible". That way new people will be aware of the mod being fishy.
And naturally if someone steals your art or something like that you can file DMCA and Steam will take the mod down.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

STRmods

The only thing their mod has still remaining that I care about now is the player ragdoll model I created, hopefully they will remove it at a later point since it isn't even being used in their mod now. For this case in particular I didn't want to have to go through Steam to resolve it, but yeah if it had more of my own personal work and requests to remove were ignored I would. If Bugbear are also able to do that, it would be good for other cases since Steam support aren't always the best...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:05:47 PM by STRmods »

Purple44

Post from today over at Steam forum thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228380/discussions/0/1470841715975280246/

Quote from: Purple44;1470842897551208452
Quote from:  ASSASSIN  Devils Shadow;1470842897550199323
Is there any way the devs can remove it?

We had a discussion about Next Car Game: Original Cars mod today thanks to Burns and Burns got to talk to P-iss Cakehole. STR took a look at the mod today and give mod his OK for now. STR stuff been removed.

Read from bottom up, from workshop page:

Purple44 8 hours ago
But a reminder to all Wreckfest modders, if want use other modders content, need to ask them first for their OK first, before adding other modders work to yours. I got my track packs and I make sure I got permission to add another modders track to my pack and give plenty of credit to modder that made the track.

Purple44 8 hours ago
Been talking with STR and for now give mod the OK.

Piss Cakehole  [author] 8 hours ago
im saying this now, and again: i do not steal his content. That content is now removed and replaced with my own

Purple44 9 hours ago
But if you use STR Christmas mod in your mod without asking, that consider stealing another modders work!!!

Piss Cakehole  [author] 9 hours ago
it works for me right now

Purple44 9 hours ago
Piss, you converted the christmas cars to work in Wreckfest and fix them again to work with the June Build?

its not copyright content. Its MY content and NOT his. you have NO reason to complain here

no

Purple44 9 hours ago
Hey, how is it the Christmas cars that STRmods spent time getting the Christmas cars working with the June Build, back in your mod Piss? Did you get STRmods OK to add them back?

STRmods

Yeah for now the mod doesn't include the custom things I made for the Christmas vehicles, I suspect the .vhcl files could be mine still (since I had to reassign textures and do some other little fixes) but there's no real way to be sure of that, so I don't mind to much if it is or not. My custom ragdoll and vehicle parts are removed which is the most important part to me (which made this mod copying so obvious).
The difference now shows with my work on the vehicles removed as they are a broken mess in his mod now haha... No engine sounds in the car and missing performance parts (so it wouldn't work online), and of course he didn't disable the old ragdoll so the game crashes if you fall off the mower as Santa (without my custom ragdoll).
All that could have been avoided if he actually spoke to me, and then made my Christmas mod a required item for his or something, instead of stealing my files and pretending its his and then being caught...

Anyway, thanks to those that helped/supported me!
It shows we have a nice community here that's helpful when others need it  :D

St. Jimmy

For this case in particular I didn't want to have to go through Steam to resolve it, but yeah if it had more of my own personal work and requests to remove were ignored I would. If Bugbear are also able to do that, it would be good for other cases since Steam support aren't always the best...
If I've understood right, when I've been following some mod stealing and copyright cases in other games, the devs can't remove stuff from from Workshop. They can only flag content or item "incompatible" like I said in earlier posts. Some devs have took that direction to flag mod thieves, before the slower DMCA file hits and Steam removes it.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

sam223

For this case in particular I didn't want to have to go through Steam to resolve it, but yeah if it had more of my own personal work and requests to remove were ignored I would. If Bugbear are also able to do that, it would be good for other cases since Steam support aren't always the best...
If I've understood right, when I've been following some mod stealing and copyright cases in other games, the devs can't remove stuff from from Workshop. They can only flag content or item "incompatible" like I said in earlier posts. Some devs have took that direction to flag mod thieves, before the slower DMCA file hits and Steam removes it.
I dunno,the stuff stolen from forza? didnt stay on the workshop very long before getting removed
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Speedevil

Nice witchhunt. STRMods isn't the only one capable to import cars from older builds of the game.

Purple44

Nice witchhunt. STRMods isn't the only one capable to import cars from older builds of the game.

Did you look at STR pics?

Proof...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1109817695
and...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1109819610

The guy's mod had STRMods name in it!!!   :o   And his files!!!   :o

STRmods

The user "Piss Cakehole" admitted to using my files and removed them, so it was no witchhunt. While anyone can port the original files, there were many of my own files, I only pointed out the really obvious ones in the screenshots but there were much more unique to my mod and not original files (that I created from scratch) So it was easy to see it was a copy of mine. If you had read all the posts here you would have seen that, and that it has since been resolved and the user having since ported the cars by themselves instead of using mine.

My mod was more than just a port of the original files, and even more so now after an update since this happened... The only thing original left in my mod now is the textures for the vehicle models, the vehicle models and all other files are altered or none original. New performance parts, full A to D classes, various fixes (to both the vehicles and santa ragdoll) and now visual parts added to the car.

And back to not being the only one capable of porting vehicles... Well Piss Cakehole's Christmas vehicles aren't working too well now without my files ;)

And finally from Piss Cakehole's changelog for his mod, he wrote when he removed my content. Which you will see lines up with the dates of posts in this topic, my second post talks about that update he pushed.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:56:15 PM by STRmods »

Janne Suur-Näkki

For future reference, please contact us (PM me for example) in cases like these and we'll do our best to help resolve the issue quickly.

Please bear in mind that we will obviously need water tight evidence of a possible copyright infringement.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO