Author Topic: Driver San Francisco classic movie muscle car chases.First ok Driver since first  (Read 956 times)

TT

I'd like the handling to be just a shade more sim-like.

The Challenge mode movie classic car chases with the old muscle cars are still pretty decent.

After the first Driver game, the gameplay got pretty bad with the later ones. I think it had to do with the original designer leaving or getting sidelined.

Driver San Francisco is much more like the original. I think the original guy designed it.

I have mixed feelings about the weird dream mode stuff but the game isn't bad.

Those steep jumps and hills in San Francisco are also back. They make for great chases.

Lots of old muscle cars but sometimes modern cars are also mixed in. If you want only old muscle, go into Challenge mode in the Movie section.

I think the game engine got changed again before it got used in The Crew. I never played The Crew so I don't know if that was any good or how similar it was.

I think Driver SF got yanked from Steam for some reason but it is still available elsewhere. It might be because of that obnoxious Ubisoft U-Play that they've been trying to force on people. I avoid buying any game that needs it now.

Destruction missions are also fun if you just want to see how much damage you can do.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:36:45 PM by TT »

Daystar

I have always loved the Driver games  :) Think how fun it would be to have a Driver game, but with Wreckfest damage levels! and being chased in alleys by cops! would be so freakin cool.

timmy76

I really enjoyed San Francisco its just a shame Ubisoft won't make a sequel due to them thinking it was a flop.

While we're on the subject of Driver heres why Driver 3 was so buggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEQOv2g0JA
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:20:02 PM by timmy76 »
PC specs
None of your business.

Tonza

I love the whole Driver series. Even 3 despite it's reception. I just call it attitude lol!
I played through San Francisco, it was awesome. I couldn't stand the Ubisoft's software thing, so I haven't touched the game since.

TheEngiGuy

Driver San Francisco is probably one of the most innovative and entertaining racing games I've ever played. BUT it's not Driver. Or at least, a spin-off of it.

MamieNova

Haven't really played the others, but I really enjoyed SF and its mechanics. "MY head, MY rules!" remains a strong example of great gameplay/level design.

"A race ? How about I destroy you with an 18 wheeler instead ?" =D
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

TheEngiGuy

PSA: a friend of mine asked Ubisoft Support about Driver being removed from Steam and uPlay stores, and their reply was "we are hoping to get the game remastered and when this has been done, the game will be available for sale again".

Remastered? Interesting!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:35:52 PM by TheEngiGuy »

Janne Suur-Näkki

The first Driver game being remastered? I hope that's true, it was an awesome game back in the game.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

TheEngiGuy

The first Driver game being remastered? I hope that's true, it was an awesome game back in the game.

Sorry, I was talking about Driver San Francisco. Probably a re-release for current-gen consoles and, hopefully, the PC port it deserved.

But yes, the first Driver should definitely make it to GoG one way or another since it's still a classic! Right now it's kinda difficult to setup with HD res and original soundtrack. At least it works fine on PS1 emulator.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Oh right, my bad. SF was a fine game too although I didn't care much about the whole thing about changing cars on-fly and stuff.

I should probably give the first game a try again, haven't played it since the release so maybe memories have grown sweet with time... I do remember some of the later missions were insanely difficult.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Tonza

I will get it as long as it won't require the ubisoft's crappy bloatware drm... steam is enough already but what am I dreaming, of course they are going to include it. san francisco was a cool little game, and hell, talk about driver 1, probably the best game of the series. I still have the original for ps1, though my ps1 went kaput  :(

DD-Indeed

First Driver should definitely get a remake someday, since it was groundbreaking title back in the day. But I doubt that Ubisoft is interested aboud doing it, I don't think that they see it as profitable enough brand nowadays anymore. But Janne, maybe you guys could concider about getting the rights to it ? Afterall, now you have a great car game engine, only thing you need to think is that how to build the cities. So far, Bugbear haven't done anything like that in massive scale, definitely a challenge, but you guys propably also loved the original game back in the day. I actually played the game through on emulator a while ago, I still have the PS1 disc in my collection and oh boy it was a joy, still very solid game to play.

Daystar

I do have the first Driver on my PC, and it runs like a charm under my windows 7 pro.

Oh hey I discovered a cool modding site today, which is very interesting! http://drivermadness.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=72

TheEngiGuy

I do have the first Driver on my PC, and it runs like a charm under my windows 7 pro.

Oh hey I discovered a cool modding site today, which is very interesting! http://drivermadness.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=72

Driver Madness is a cool site! Some of their members managed to make the Euro Demo version playable

They also discovered texture files for a Ford Mustang car that was cut from the game before release. So many new discoveries after all these years.

Daystar

Driver Madness is a cool site! Some of their members managed to make the Euro Demo version playable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIcJ2K3vSts

They also discovered texture files for a Ford Mustang car that was cut from the game before release. So many new discoveries after all these years.

Thanks for posting that video. I am checking out some of his "Driver 2" vids now. lots of secrets he is revealing about the game.  I might even attempt to mod my Driver 1 game. first back it up ofc!