Author Topic: SeEnCreaTive's Oct.2 thoughts...  (Read 285 times)

SeEnCreaTive

I haven't played in awhile, it was a nice surprise to come back to a new handling model. This will be a bit of a wall of text

Handling:
    It was awesome to it the throttle, shred tires, and get spun around. Big grin on my face. Something I would more or less expect with the ridiculous power of American 4. But the more and more I drove the more it felt off. At first I loved the challenge of being right on the edge of spinning, it was fun and rewarding, but I soon realized it spun FAR too easily. Now I know what most of you are thinking, "Well, 560hp will do that". Which obviously to some degree your right. But I will use the same argument as I used for the Bolide over on BeamNG that was having the exact same problem, and people were saying the same thing. Take off the throttle, and it still spins around too easily. It is near impossible to recover after over extending, if you do manage to recover it just goes the other way in an endless pendulum that only stops when you are doing under 30km/h. I have to basically stop just to go down the straightaway. Not something I would expect from a Trans-Am style fully prepped race car. I moved onto American 1, classic NCG car. Its light body, and less power should make handling much easier to manage. I quickly found out it was much much more difficult even still.

So I decided to try the newest of the bunch, American 5. Looked light. Weight, as it turns out, is right in the middle of American 1 and 4. Tall suspension, and big wide sticky looking tires. Looked VERY auto-cross like. Should handle great, but given the last 2 cars I drove I didn't have high hopes. I was wrong. Very wrong. In short, I traction rolled after hitting a small bump in a corner on Gravel 1. Gravel. Going from barely breathing on the throttle, and absolutely dreading getting into a swing back and forth, to just mashing the throttle when ever. Never got out of line, but when it did, I just lifted off, came back. No fear of over correcting. After upgrading the power, (which most cars have almost the exact same power to weight), I very quickly obliterated even the best lap times I managed to do, even with American 4. Easily winning all races by a massive margin. Maybe it had to do with the more balanced weight distribution combined with the silly tyraction. Either way it was a rather stark contrast. It had hilariously high traction. This car was too easy to drive

Now, that doesn't mean I hate spinning when I mash the throttle in a 500hp+ muscle car. I absolutely LOVED that challenge like I said above. Extremely rewarding. But it was frustrating when I was even afraid to go down a straight. I think we are close. I would like to see the spinning out to still be a main part of handling. So many racing games ignore throttle control. I like the idea of being penalized for just carelessly mashing the throttle. But when even off throttle spin outs are impossible to control, we start to have an issue. I think we still need a point of no return, IE: an angle too great to recover from. It would be nice to see almost an "exponential curve" in angle vs losing control. Rewarding players who can dance that fine line of traction without being too difficult. But penalizing ones that go just a bit too far. But once the car does get straightened out, less fear of losing the rear end the other way in a pendulum. 

TL;DR: Most cars spin WAY too easy even off throttle, whereas some seem to have a vacuum force sticking them to the ground.

Quick note on suspension. I loved seeing the different cars acting differently over bumps. American 5 was awesome when it landed off big jumps, literally bounced with its tall bouncy suspension.

EDIT: Sidenote: why does the lawn mower weigh 1587 lbs? Im guessing the physics engine can't handle vehicles that light? Same reason we haven't seen FWD?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:46:28 AM by SeEnCreaTive »
Ryzen 1600x @ 4ghz. Noctua U14
Msi 670 PE OC (Overclocked even farther)
16gb Corsair LPX 3000mhz ddr4
2TB WD Black + 120gb Samsung 850 Pro

K95 RGB Brown
Logitech G100s
Logitech G13
Blue Snowball Ice

Schiit Audio Mangi 2U and Modi 2U

Purple44

Hi SeEnCreaTive, hey could you tell us what controller you using and your advance settings and if you are using any assists?

AM 5 the car I prefer to use these days, but the A class AM 5 still a little to tail happy for me online with my DFGT wheel and no assists.

Having troubles with A class cars and no assists? Found a fix for me.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

SeEnCreaTive

Hi SeEnCreaTive, hey could you tell us what controller you using and your advance settings and if you are using any assists?

AM 5 the car I prefer to use these days, but the A class AM 5 still a little to tail happy for me online with my DFGT wheel and no assists.

Having troubles with A class cars and no assists? Found a fix for me.

Steam Controller. Almost exact settings, just a tad more steering speed sensitivity. No assists of course. Regardless of settings, I feel with how significant the contrast is between American 1 and 5 is too large. Objectively American 5 is faster. It really does have way more grip in corners. The long sweeper near the end of Tarmac 1, American 4 does about 125-130, American 5 is about 145. 11% more corner speed is massive.

I find the American 5 almost difficult to slide even max out engine upgrades. I mean it can obviously, but I don't even have to think to control it if it does manage to get sideways. Even on dirt, I'm almost fighting traction roll as much as too much angle. Especially compared to the other cars. I'd imagine most players use American 5.

EDIT: You don't even have to take my word for it, watch the AI. I love seeing some lose control, but it does happen often, specifically even you just give them the SMALLEST of nudges.

I actually don't think its all about how easily it will slide, it is a bit too much, but its close. I love controlling angle with throttle. The main problem is how difficult it is to recover, and once you do, how freaking instant it jumps the other way. Its literally waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting. BAM THE OTHER WAY, to start the cycle over again. I'm not sure how realistic it is having the inability to control your back end at 40km/h while coasting.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:51:55 AM by SeEnCreaTive »
Ryzen 1600x @ 4ghz. Noctua U14
Msi 670 PE OC (Overclocked even farther)
16gb Corsair LPX 3000mhz ddr4
2TB WD Black + 120gb Samsung 850 Pro

K95 RGB Brown
Logitech G100s
Logitech G13
Blue Snowball Ice

Schiit Audio Mangi 2U and Modi 2U