Author Topic: FlatOut Modding - Where should I start?  (Read 743 times)

VajkLaszlo

Hey! I'm new to modding and new to this forum, also, my english is bad... I'm from Hungary, just about to learn english... :D

I want to make some mods to the game, but I don't really know where to start... Maybe want to add a new car to the game, which I will make in 3DSMax, but what is the format of the cars in-game? What should I do with my model? In what to convert?

So yeah, I don't really know where should I start... Also, I want to translate the game. Which files do I need to edit?

And maybe later make a new track, new textures, new skins or so...

I don't really know what programmes should I use... 3DSMax, I got a .bfs packer & unpacker, but what else (also got Notepad ofc)?

The Very End

Hello! It is a bit hard saying exactly what you need and should have, as most things have alternatives and depends on what you are creating.

For general moding I would check the modding section for information and study the example mod folder within Wreckfest main folder. As for program to use both Blender and 3Ds Max works, and depends what you like. The good thing with max is easier xref/linking scenes together than Blender, men when starting xref'ing is  not something you should start with.

Which brings me to next part, maybe start smaller? Cars are really a lot of nitty gritty details and data work, which is much easier when you have some modding experience with Wreckfest. Not to discouraged you, I'm just trying to save you for a lot of frustration.

So where to start then? Maybe try making some objects, small tracks/arenas or something? The learning curve is pretty hard, and again, depending on what you do you can utilize and must utilize a range of programs.

Best of luck with the projects :)

VajkLaszlo

Hello! It is a bit hard saying exactly what you need and should have, as most things have alternatives and depends on what you are creating.

For general moding I would check the modding section for information and study the example mod folder within Wreckfest main folder. As for program to use both Blender and 3Ds Max works, and depends what you like. The good thing with max is easier xref/linking scenes together than Blender, men when starting xref'ing is  not something you should start with.

Which brings me to next part, maybe start smaller? Cars are really a lot of nitty gritty details and data work, which is much easier when you have some modding experience with Wreckfest. Not to discouraged you, I'm just trying to save you for a lot of frustration.

So where to start then? Maybe try making some objects, small tracks/arenas or something? The learning curve is pretty hard, and again, depending on what you do you can utilize and must utilize a range of programs.

Best of luck with the projects :)

Ahh man... You're just awesome! :D Thanks for those informations, really appreciate every words! :)

I knew I have to start small, but then I'm going to learn modelling (as you said, making small things like objects etc...) with 3DSMax and Blender too, and later I'm going to create bigger things (like cars, tracks etc...).

Once again, thanks for the tips, really appreciated! :)

The Very End

No worries :) If your stucked on something, just ask here in forums, as a lot of the modding is a bit cryptic at times. Oh, and prepare to see errors, a lot of then :D

TT

Hello. There are a few programs that you need.

zmodeler2 is a 3d modeling program that can export 3d models to the format used by many games.

Things may or may not have changed recently but the free version could export to Flatout format.

The pay version could also import.

I don't remember if the free version can import 3ds model files or not. If it can't, I think the first old zmodeler program can.

There is now a new version zmodeler3. I don't know if it can handle Flatout or not.

There is also another program that can unpack and repack the Flatout game files. I think it was called bfsunpack or something like that. Many games keep files bundled together sort of like a big zip file.
Edited: I see you have that already.

You can run the game unpacked if you want to.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:38:24 PM by TT »

TT

If you are using the free versions of zmodeler then you will also need an example file for a car so you can see what it should be like.

One of the modders also made a huge mod called FOV3 that had a lot of stuff in it and also used a slightly different format. People could add more files to it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:29:29 PM by TT »

TT

If you are going to make new skins, you might want to make sure that your painting program will let you adjust the alpha channel easily. If it doesn't, there are some very easy free programs out there that can do it.

The alpha layer controls how shiny skins are (or for some files like windows, how transparent things are).

For skins, darker alpha is flat and lighter alpha is shiny. The default is very shiny.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:30:19 PM by TT »

TT

If you can't find any example Flatout format car files in 3ds or zmodeler format. I think that I have some simple ones.

TT

The Steam version of Flatout isn't patched to the final patch version.

Mods should still work but it is worth knowing.

If your monitor has a wide screen, there is a also a file that somebody made that fixes Flatout so it isn't stretched.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:47:22 PM by TT »

VajkLaszlo

No worries :) If your stucked on something, just ask here in forums, as a lot of the modding is a bit cryptic at times. Oh, and prepare to see errors, a lot of then :D

Aye, I'm prepared to errors since Call of Duty 4 Modding, I suffered a lot in that game... :D

Hello. There are a few programs that you need.

zmodeler2 is a 3d modeling program that can export 3d models to the format used by many games.

Things may or may not have changed recently but the free version could export to Flatout format.

The pay version could also import.

I don't remember if the free version can import 3ds model files or not. If it can't, I think the first old zmodeler program can.

There is now a new version zmodeler3. I don't know if it can handle Flatout or not.

There is also another program that can unpack and repack the Flatout game files. I think it was called bfsunpack or something like that. Many games keep files bundled together sort of like a big zip file.

You can run the game unpacked if you want to.

Thanks buddy! I knew about ZModeler, but I heard 3DSMax and Blender are better programs, even they can't handle that much file format. I'm gonna' try ZModeler out of course, maybe 2 and 3 too. And yeah, I already have that .bfs packer & unpacker, later I'm gonna' see what files does those .bfs's contains.  ;)

If you are using the free versions of zmodeler then you will also need an example file for a car so you can see what it should be like.

One of the modders also made a huge mod called FOV3 that had a lot of stuff in it and also used a slightly different format. People could add more files to it.

Hm... Interesting! Going to search on it!

If you are going to make new skins, you might want to make sure that your painting program will let you adjust the alpha channel easily. If it doesn't, there are some very easy free programs out there that can do it.

The alpha layer controls how shiny skins are (or for some files like windows, how transparent things are).

For skins, darker alpha is flat and lighter alpha is shiny. The default is very shiny.

I'm having Photoshop, hopefully that's going to be good for me... If not, then my 2nd best friend Gimp is here... :D

If you can't find any example Flatout format car files in 3ds or zmodeler format. I think that I have some simple ones.

I'm going to PM you if I'm having troubles with it. :)

The Steam version of Flatout isn't patched to the final patch version.

Mods should still work but it is worth knowing.

Where can I find the final patch? :) Is it some community stuff?

Thanks for this HUUUUGE help guys, if I ever going to create something good, definetly write your name up to the credits! :) ;)

TT

I don't know if the last official patch works with the Steam version. Probably not.

If it did work, it would probably complain about not seeing a CD disk in the drive.

TT

I forget what that Flatout widescreen fix is called. That was a custom file that somebody made.

I noticed in the Steam version Flatout directory that there is a new file called testapp.exe that is the exact same size as Flatout.exe. I have been meaning to experiment with it and see what it is.

Zmodeler has an easier interface than 3dsmax but it doesn't have as many features.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:00:38 PM by TT »

VajkLaszlo

I don't know if the last official patch works with the Steam version. Probably not.

If it did work, it would probably complain about not seeing a CD disk in the drive.

I'm not going to try it now, don't wanna' ruin my game... :D Maybe later... :)

I forget what that Flatout widescreen fix is called. That was a custom file that somebody made.

I noticed in the Steam version Flatout directory that there is a new file called testapp.exe that is the exact same size as Flatout.exe. I have been meaning to experiment with it and see what it is.

Zmodeler has an easier interface than 3dsmax but it doesn't have as many features.

News: I downloaded ZModeler 2 and 3 too, 2 doesn't want to start, but actually 3 did. I downloaded a "temp" car in the format .z3d for FlatOut too. And then, I exported it to .3ds just for a test. What now? Do I need to do something in 3DSMax/Blender, or this is a good way to go on? :D

Purple44

Hey! I'm new to modding and new to this forum, also, my english is bad... I'm from Hungary, just about to learn english... :D
?

Hi VajkLaszlo, welcome to Bugbear forum. I take it you are interested in modding Flatout 1? There different things and tools to know about modding Flatout 1 or Flatout 2 or Wreckfest. The modding section here at Bugbear forum is pretty much just about how to mod Wreckfest and won't be much help in trying to mod Flatout 1.

The place go to learn about modding Flatout 1 would of been to go to Flatout Joint, but Flatout Joint doors where closed back in Nov 2014.  :(  Flatout Joint got started by a couple of modders Muratus and Pavcules back in Dec 2005 to give us Flatout modders a place to hangout and talk about modding Flatout 1 and then Flatout 2 ( modding for Flatout 1 had been going on for around a year already, Euro version of Flatout 1 had come out in late 2004 ). A lot of great stuff got done there!!  :D

But thanks to Waybackmahcine website archiving Flatout Joint, you can go back and checkout a lot the threads at FOJ. But not all the pages to a thread have been backup, so there a lot missing history. I would be checking the backup points of 2006-2007 when most modding for Flatout 1 got done. Also none of the download links where back up, so no download of mods from the download section of Flatout Joint, but can give you an idea of the mods done for Flatout 1.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051101000000*/http://www.flatoutjoint.com

About Flatout unpacker, there a bfs2pack that used to unpack and pack FO 2 and UC bfs files. For Flatout 1, you need two programs: Flatout 1 - bfs unpacker?

This how I got my start in modding custom tracks in Flatout 1:

Man, you've got screenshots for everything Purple! lol :P I never noticed Frosty before.

On a side note I've noticed most of your custom skins are appropriately purple. In that case my username should be "Pink_02" lol :P

I have purple skins thanks to the skinners at Flatout Joint. I very much appreciate all the purple skins that have been done for Flatout 1 and 2.  :) :) :) :)

A good share of them have been done by Heddly. :)

My first purple custom skin I got was for the Fast Hammer in Flatout 1 back in Jan 2006. My favorite silver car to race online.  :)  My memory fuzzy on who did the skin, was either mud or reaper.

I look once into trying to make a custom skin, Bent Rim was giving me a helping hand, but I did not get far. So I went back to playing with startpoints and spline points and drawing new minimaps in FO1. I'm more of a numbers kind of guy.

When I work on my first FO1 derby pit ( Pav's Barn & Grill ), I did not have a track editor to use at first. So I had to use trial and error method. I use the same startpoint for all 8 cars, started up FO1, saw where the stack of cars where, adjusted my startpoints again, kept doing this until the cars landed on top of the barn. After I got my spacing for the cars on top of the roof, then adjust height number to lower the cars into the barn.

Startpoints = {
   [1] = {
      Position = { -25.863125, 0.643875, 165.262680 },
      Orientation = {
         ["x"]={-0.003201,0.000000,-0.999995},
         ["y"]={0.000000,1.000000,0.000000},
         ["z"]={0.999995,0.000000,-0.003201},

Then Pavcules made a track editor for Flatout 1 that made things a lot easier than using my trial and error method.  :P

The modders at Flatout Joint use ZModeler to make custom cars. Heddly be the guy here at Bugbear forum to contact about making custom cars for Flatout. He done a lot of them.   :D

If you got your Flatout 1 from Steam, I highly recommend you patch the Steam v1.0 to the Euro v1.1 version of Flatout 1. Can make copy of of your current Flatout 1 folder if worry the patch might break your FO1.

Here link to the official v1.1 patch I uploaded:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzjfwz1g0ji/Flatout1.0to1.1.enUL2.rar

Here a link to Pavcules track editor:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oir5kzmyjoy/FlatOutTrackEditor.zip
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

TT

Can Zmodeler3 export to Flatout format? I never tried it.

The last Zmodeler2 patch killed it for many people. The problem seemed to be the version of Visual C used. I didn't update so I was ok. It might still work if you use Windows compatibility mode for WinXP for Zmodeler2 and then go to Microsoft and/or download the right version of Visual C.

Here is a summary of what to do to get a new car in Flatout.

To put a new car in Flatout, you need to either import a 3d model of a car from the internet or mod from some other game or else build one from scratch yourself. Then save-as often.

Then you open up the example car file. Then you also import the new car model into the same program with the example car. They should be overlapping.

Then you line up the new car so that it is the same size and in the same position as the model car.

The new car can have lots of movable parts like doors but it doesn't have to have them.

After the 2 cars are line up, you need to make sure that the dots that they both rotate around are in the same place.

For some special parts, the example car has pointer dots without any polygons (dummy parts). They show things like where the doors open at, where the exhaust smoke should come out etc.

For you new car, you need to make sure that the model is mapped to some skin file for textures.

If you want damage dents, you need to copy your car parts and then damage on copy by grabbing some polygons and moving them. Don't add or delete any polygons to the damaged part.

When you are done, delete the example car parts, save-as and then export in some format that Zmodeler can open (unless you are already working in Zmodeler).

Open in Zmodeler and then export in the Flatout format.

Then you can either replace an existing car or else you can use FMOD3 and put it in there, or you can mess with regular Flatout and increase the number of cars that it has.

If any of this doesn't make sense, just ask.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:11:54 PM by TT »