Author Topic: Making of Flatout 2  (Read 29823 times)

Jukka Merikanto

Here comes the sequel to Making of Flatout 1 thread I posted earlier. So once again I will write random things about the process of making Flatout 2 and you're free to ask questions and I'll try to answer them :)

Let's start off with a video showing what our in-game editing tools looked like in 2005:
(also in HD)
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

err

I have a question.
If flatout2 should be successor to flatout1, then why the whole experience are much more primitive.  >:(
example physics (what is the most important thing in racing game in my opinion) are a joke compared to flatout 1.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:48:54 PM by err »

John Burning

Let's start off with a video showing what our in-game editing tools looked like in 2005:
(also in HD)
THIS EDITOR IS REALLY COOL!!! It's so easy to understand how to work with it!
I think if you'll make it free for players who can make another cool configurations of the tracks it could be incredible but I know that you won't do this because it's really hard and you haven't got any FlatOut's rights to mod it  :'(
When I'm looking on it I'm ready to squeal like a girl  ;D More videos like that! Pleaaase!!!!

psychicparrot

AWESOME! Yes! Please let the editor out into the wild for us to play with XD

KSFR

AWESOME! Yes! Please let the editor out into the wild for us to play with XD
+1
Pretty pls!!
Bunnybear Says - Yappy happy whatever

Purple44

Was that video made back in 2005 or did you just make that video?

If video was made back in 2005, what computer\video card did you guys use back then?

We use Blender to edit Flatout 2 tracks and I used a computer with a duo core CPU and 8800 video card, had to use black and white with Blender, color ran to slow. When I upgraded computer to quad CPU and 4870 video card, I was able to use color with Blender.

Would of been nice to do spline points right on the track in 3D.  :P
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

I got question about Flatout 2 tracks. In Flatout 1, all the track maps had solid ground, even away from the track. In Flatout 1 we could free roam no problem. Do Cops and Robbers derbys. But in Flatout 2, things change. Some the track maps ( like city and forest ) had sink holes ( cars fall through the ground ). Made it harder to free roam and make new tracks in flatout 2. :(

Why did this happen in Flatout 2?

Jukka Merikanto

Was that video made back in 2005 or did you just make that video?

If video was made back in 2005, what computer\video card did you guys use back then?

I captured the video just  few days ago with i7-2600k 3.4Ghz / GeForce GTX 570. Can't remember our hardware specs from 2005 but it didn't run quite as smoothly as now :)

I got question about Flatout 2 tracks. In Flatout 1, all the track maps had solid ground, even away from the track. In Flatout 1 we could free roam no problem. Do Cops and Robbers derbys. But in Flatout 2, things change. Some the track maps ( like city and forest ) had sink holes ( cars fall through the ground ). Made it harder to free roam and make new tracks in flatout 2. :(

Why did this happen in Flatout 2?

Those holes were results of heavy optimization we did at the end to maximize framerate on slower machines. Removing visual and collision geometry from places players wouldn't normally (without modding) be able to drive.
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

Purple44

Thanks for answering that question. Hopefully you will not have to do that with your next racing tittle.  :P

Heddly

This would be like the Fountain of Youth for FlatOut 2 modders.

What program was used to edit the cars? I use Zmodeler2. Just wondering if there was a plugin for an available 3d editor. I have worked with the FlatOut and FlatOut 2 cars.

A big wish would be to have the ability to edit FlatOut Ultimate Carnage vehicles. I love the game and would more than love to be able to create new content.

Thanks for all of the helpful information.

wert

Hello all! It`s very cool that you guys open Bugbear Game Community and allowed the fans closer to communicate with you and get more information about their favorite games!

Video impressed at that time editor of a very perfect!  :)

What do you think will be an opportunity for activists to create new tracks and use your editor? This is possible in the future? 8)

Best regards wert (666hp command)
Est in media verum

KSFR

Welcome wert, i got here before you ;)
Bunnybear Says - Yappy happy whatever

wert

thx  :) that nice man!
Est in media verum

Heddly

Hi wert, glad to see a FlatOut 2 modder   ;D

wert

Hi wert, glad to see a FlatOut 2 modder   ;D

colleague, the amount of time no see you :) glad too 8)
Est in media verum