Author Topic: Making of Flatout 2  (Read 30673 times)

Jukka Merikanto

I've been playing since FO1, and i've always been fascinated by the dynamic props and their physics, & I basically know every single one in FO2/FO:UC.
How many of the SFX did you guys do yourselves, and were any of the dynamic prop vehicles(such as the Acura TL in FO2) owned by developers?
Also, who did the graphics design(billboards/ads)? They deserve a medal.  ;D
I can't wait to get me a GameToy or a burger from BugBurger! LOL.
BTW.....don't know if you noticed this, but on the prop Cadillac....ya left the Cadillac emblem on the vinyl roof by accident.  ;D
We didn't do SFX in-house. It was outsourced to brilliant Greg Hill that is specialized in creating SFX for racing games. You can see list of games he has been working on here: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,68064/

Those billboards on the other hand were made by various environment artists and level designers :)

Hehe, thanks for noticing that Cadillac emblem, didn't know it was there.. Now don't tell General Motors about this, mmmkay?
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

69Imperial

I've been playing since FO1, and i've always been fascinated by the dynamic props and their physics, & I basically know every single one in FO2/FO:UC.
How many of the SFX did you guys do yourselves, and were any of the dynamic prop vehicles(such as the Acura TL in FO2) owned by developers?
Also, who did the graphics design(billboards/ads)? They deserve a medal.  ;D
I can't wait to get me a GameToy or a burger from BugBurger! LOL.
BTW.....don't know if you noticed this, but on the prop Cadillac....ya left the Cadillac emblem on the vinyl roof by accident.  ;D
We didn't do SFX in-house. It was outsourced to brilliant Greg Hill that is specialized in creating SFX for racing games. You can see list of games he has been working on here: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,68064/

Those billboards on the other hand were made by various environment artists and level designers :)

Hehe, thanks for noticing that Cadillac emblem, didn't know it was there.. Now don't tell General Motors about this, mmmkay?
Cool, thanks for the info.
LOL, I sure won't.
I have more questions, lol.
What's your favorite prop, and what was the hardest one to make? How many props didn't make it into the game?
What was the funniest bug you encountered in the developement of Flatout 2?
Also, is that debug menu able to spawn new props? Typing in the internal name for the prop or something like that?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:39:21 AM by 69Imperial »
Playing Flatout online has made me hate people who can't speak English and shove their nationalities in your face.

Jukka Merikanto

What's your favorite prop, and what was the hardest one to make? How many props didn't make it into the game?
Also, is that debug menu able to spawn new props? Typing in the internal name for the prop or something like that?

We had many people doing props so it's hard to say what was the hardest to make and I really don't remember how many props we had to cut.

Funniest bug for me was when creating forest track I accidently filled the whole map with grass and it actually ran on my machine. The grass was growing everywhere and it was about as tall as my vehicle so there I was driving around trying to find my way in this track that was taken over by nature :)

We didn't have tool for spawning new props but we actually had all the props loaded in the track and we would just duplicate those. In fact if you find a mod that let's you use free camera you can find those prop collections in final version of the game. They're hidden below the edges of the map ;)
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

69Imperial

We had many people doing props so it's hard to say what was the hardest to make and I really don't remember how many props we had to cut.

Funniest bug for me was when creating forest track I accidently filled the whole map with grass and it actually ran on my machine. The grass was growing everywhere and it was about as tall as my vehicle so there I was driving around trying to find my way in this track that was taken over by nature :)

We didn't have tool for spawning new props but we actually had all the props loaded in the track and we would just duplicate those. In fact if you find a mod that let's you use free camera you can find those prop collections in final version of the game. They're hidden below the edges of the map ;)
Wow, that's nuts. How low did the FPS drop?  :o
And I gotta try that camera mod, what are some of those prop collections like? :D
Also, who's idea was it for the Acura TL to be one of the wrecked car props? Little too new, don't ya think? :P
Speaking of car props, how many of them were actually owned by devs/friends/family?(such as the red Cadillac, aqua blue Lincoln Continental, and silver Acura TL)
I know this is the FO2 topic, but in FO:UC, why were some props removed from the Desert Airfield track?(propellers, airplane engines, 2 or so sets of airplane wheels), and the small scripted scenerios (such as rocks falling off cliffs/barrels exploding offtrack and flying onto the track) removed as well?
Sorry for all the questions, i'm just hyped to talk to the man behind the tracks in FO.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:26:07 AM by 69Imperial »
Playing Flatout online has made me hate people who can't speak English and shove their nationalities in your face.

Purple44

Like these objects that are off to the side of the track map?

Sorry for the grey scale color, but when I try and set Blender to color, it go pink on me.  :P

I also found a beer buster 3000 object on the fields track.  ;)

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

69Imperial

Cool, that chainsaw isn't used, and it says DEER buster.  ;)
And I already knew of those, I honestly thought they were put there for testing purposes.

Jukka Merikanto

Speaking of car props, how many of them were actually owned by devs/friends/family?(such as the red Cadillac, aqua blue Lincoln Continental, and silver Acura TL)

None. I'm afraid we don't have that fancy cars. If we had put our real life cars to Flatout it would have been mostly wagons with baby seats battling it out ;)

I know this is the FO2 topic, but in FO:UC, why were some props removed from the Desert Airfield track?(propellers, airplane engines, 2 or so sets of airplane wheels)

If I remember correctly they were removed because they were so massive yet light weighted. We couldn't make them heavy enough to look realistic when hit because they ended up blocking the route.
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

Jukka Merikanto

Like these objects that are off to the side of the track map?

Yes, that was our prop "database" at the time :)
Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer

69Imperial

None. I'm afraid we don't have that fancy cars. If we had put our real life cars to Flatout it would have been mostly wagons with baby seats battling it out ;)

I know this is the FO2 topic, but in FO:UC, why were some props removed from the Desert Airfield track?(propellers, airplane engines, 2 or so sets of airplane wheels)

If I remember correctly they were removed because they were so massive yet light weighted. We couldn't make them heavy enough to look realistic when hit because they ended up blocking the route.
Ah, to be honest, I thought that was the reason. It's so bizzare when you plow into them in FO2 and they make those little dingy light metal SFX.
And lol @ the SW comment, maybe they would be good for demo derby.  :D
Weird question, but what OS do you guys over at Bugbear run? Do you still run XP? Do you think your next game will still support XP?

Mopower

Ha, that's pretty cool that you outsource the sound fx. To be honest, the bullet GT sounds awesome. But I want to be able to customize the SOUND of my vehicle in your guys' next game. Like be able to change the headers/exhaust to give it a different sound.

Purple44

Ha, that's pretty cool that you outsource the sound fx. To be honest, the bullet GT sounds awesome. But I want to be able to customize the SOUND of my vehicle in your guys' next game. Like be able to change the headers/exhaust to give it a different sound.

Some the guys at FOJ did a Buick GS 455 for Flatout 1 and FOJ member Stage had this car in real life and recorded the engine sounds for this custom car. One of best made custom cars for Flatout 1.

Do not know of any custom cars done for Flatout 2 that had some custom sounds done for it.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

69Imperial

Jukka-what are the purposes of these tolls? Were they meant to be used in a track at one time?
http://i45.tinypic.com/2uyj9j6.jpg

X

haha yeah, I remember seeing the 'database' of objects just by itself using the 25-nudge mod shadow made. :)
and yeah @69 I'm wondering the same thing. Those tolls.... No idea.

@Purple I think it might be time for a little camera editing.  :P

Nokikana

These drivable monorail tracks in City tracks are accessible with the full-roam mod:

Also, it was fun to find this sing, as my last name is Kekkonen (Nothing to do with our earlier president ;) ). My first name BTW isn't Juha. :)

Also, i have been looking info 'bout the AI drivers and concepts. Could it be possible that you'd post here all you AI driver consept arts? Thanks. :)

Jukka Merikanto

Also, i have been looking info 'bout the AI drivers and concepts. Could it be possible that you'd post here all you AI driver consept arts? Thanks. :)

Not concept art but how about an early design document draft of the drivers we wanted to have in Flatout 2?  ;)

Jukka Merikanto
Senior Level Designer