Author Topic: Custom appearance in multiplayer?  (Read 3846 times)

Teho

Everyone wants to be a little special don't they? Stand out, be different than others.
At least I do and I love the possibility to modify my multiplayer character to express myself.

I don't want everyone to ride same rides, so I was thinking of perhaps some way for car appearance customization? Of course in reasonable limits and the some of the ideas I'm about the throw are too much - but I'll just leave you to think about it ;D

NCG Multiplayer appearance modifiers:

-roof shape / height / decals
-hood shape / height / decals
-headlights / lights in general
-doors / handles
-custom mirror position / model
-window size / position / model
-custom front masks
-custom bumbers
-tire color /  shape / position (width?)
-rims / hubcaps
-custom exhaust model / position
-stickers / paintjobs / templates
-achievement "medals"

Not all of the ideas aren't mine originally - some are gathered from the forums.

Edit:

And to point out how little can make so much of a difference  :P

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:26:39 AM by Teho »

crazychris4124

agreed it would be nice to change the appearance of your multiplayer cars, early access members should receive a special appearance accessory so people know we have been supporting you guys from the start

AntiAir543

i absolutely love this idea and i hope Bugbear will agree with it as i wouldn't want my ride to be the same as others. I like to be creative and make something people like to look at and know its mine :). For example in NASCAR the game you can customize the decals etc. on your car and it will appear in multiplayer when your racing. I also think that there should be stats to these add-ons like strength, aero-dynamics etc. so that if some one rams you in the back it can absorb some of the damage. These customization options should also be bought with money you can earn from placing in the top 3 or 10 depending on the number of players in the race (this would add a big sense of competition which would make players want to do well so they can upgrade their cars and such, this money type feature may already have been implemented but i am not sure as i haven't read all of the forum)

Anyways i love the idea and the drawings that you made for it represent it very well :) and i just wish i had enough money to be able to buy the Team Bugbear Member pack.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:13:04 AM by AntiAir543 »

dbs213

I'd rather have visual customization in both SP and MP. I completely hate MP exclusive features like this so much that I could write an essay about it.

It sucked that you couldn't get those cool bodykits in Grid Online mode in the WSR mode of GRID 2. I could've stood out from every AI car that used stock bodykits.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:36:08 PM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

NeatNit

Do you guys realize that the $1000 tier allows you to make a skin? It's unlikely that bugbear would allow anyone else to make a custom skin as well, as it wouldn't be fair to whoever buys that tier, and otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Besides, a moment spent making a skin is a moment spent not wrecking cars. ;)

I say don't do it.

Teho

Thank you for your comments all!

Do you guys realize that the $1000 tier allows you to make a skin? It's unlikely that bugbear would allow anyone else to make a custom skin as well, as it wouldn't be fair to whoever buys that tier, and otherwise it doesn't make sense.

I see your point ~ but as I see it, it's totally different to unlock cars than customize them. What I mean is, that I think that 1000$ car design would go for AI computer cars or unlockable ride in singleplayer - Or if we ride same cars in single- and multiplayer; then the modifications could be so little that you can still recognize the car you've modified. Nevertheless I'd still want to see some kind of appearance modding in the game.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:31:11 AM by Teho »

NeatNit

Actually, the second part of my post was the most important:
Besides, a moment spent making a skin is a moment spent not wrecking cars. ;)

I say don't do it.
I really don't think it fits with what bugbear is going for with this game. It's not trackmania or one of those types of games - it's a game all about the cars. Not the players. I now there isn't really any downside to adding this (except development time), but I think it should be left out.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:12:47 PM by NeatNit »

Teho

it's a game all about the cars.
moment spent making a skin is a moment spent not wrecking cars.

I agree with you, but I don't want to smash generic cars which I necessarily can't recognize from one anothe - that said - I want to able to crash your beautiful creation. "God how cool looking car! ... I wanna smash it first before anyone else does!"  8)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:51:15 PM by Teho »

KazzyMac

it's a game all about the cars.
moment spent making a skin is a moment spent not wrecking cars.

I agree with you, but I don't want to smash generic cars which I necessarily can't recognize from one anothe - that said - I want to able to crash your beautiful creation. "God how cool looking car! ... I wanna smash it first before anyone else does!"  8)
Pretty confident that if Bugbear includes any sort of livery editor a-la Grid/Grid 2 then we'll all be wrecking each others' shiny individual cars.

Setting up a livery editor is easier in terms of online than custom car models. I'd be having a rather simple white and red one anyway. Maybe I'd try to mimic some of the old destruction derby/DD2 car liveries. Heh.
My Lam0r Rig:

Corsair Graphite 780T & Corsair H100i liquid cooler
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
MSI GTX980 4G OC, 4GB GDDR5
256GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD & 2TB Samsung SATA HDD
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Purple44

I'd rather have visual customization in both SP and MP. I completely hate MP exclusive features like this so much that I could write an essay about it.

It sucked that you couldn't get those cool bodykits in Grid Online mode in the WSR mode of GRID 2. I could've stood out from every AI car that used stock bodykits.

I'm OK with visual customization online be it livery or body parts, but I'm not OK with customization that can make a car better ( stronger, faster ) like AntiAir543 suggested.

Online players need to race cars with the same setup. Let your skill win the race or derby, not you having a better car than the other players win the race for you, like we are seeing in GRID 2.

Bugbear, look at what Codemasters did to online with GRID 2 to get an idea of what not to do if you want longevity online for the NCG!! Codemasters did so many things wrong with online!! Codies did not listen to the GRID 1 community.  :(

There a fine line to getting online right or getting it wrong. Flatout 2 and GRID 1 got it right ( after a patch or 2 ), GRID 2 got it wrong big time. 
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

AntiAir543

all i did was put out an idea to just have it out on the table... after posting that comment i was going to edit it and say something about how the visual is much more important to me than the actual car changing stats (as these do not matter and can make the game not very fun if someone else has a jacked up car with max "stats"). In the long run i would like to be able to change the visuals on the car so we can all have a different ride.

I am basically agreeing with what Purple44 said

KazzyMac

Bugbear, look at what Codemasters did to online with GRID 2 to get an idea of what not to do if you want longevity online for the NCG!! Codemasters did so many things wrong with online!! Codies did not listen to the GRID 1 community.  :(

There a fine line to getting online right or getting it wrong. Flatout 2 and GRID 1 got it right ( after a patch or 2 ), GRID 2 got it wrong big time.
What? I didn't think there was really anything inherently wrong with Grid 2's online, I don't understand why people are complaining so bad. The only thing that could probably be improved is that collisions are so aggressive, but I never judged it as a game-breaking move especially since I've had plenty of closely-fought 3-4-man races.

... and have codemasters gotten round to enabling VAC yet?
My Lam0r Rig:

Corsair Graphite 780T & Corsair H100i liquid cooler
Intel i7-3930K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
MSI GTX980 4G OC, 4GB GDDR5
256GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD & 2TB Samsung SATA HDD
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
27" Asus VS278Q (1ms)
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

WildStyle

Custom character would be nice aswell, you know the same one that will fly trough the window?

Purple44

What? I didn't think there was really anything inherently wrong with Grid 2's online, I don't understand why people are complaining so bad. The only thing that could probably be improved is that collisions are so aggressive, but I never judged it as a game-breaking move especially since I've had plenty of closely-fought 3-4-man races.

How about missing features from GRID 1, no text chat, no best lap times for all players in results screen ( got kinda adding in last patch ), no spectating when join lobby ( hope NCG has it ), no knowing when race will be over - no lap counter in lobby ).

Other issues, the racing online is unbalance, putting low level players up front with slower cars, just asking for chaos at start of race. Took me 2 months to level up enough to buy good T4 cars and upgrade them. Was stuck with crappy loaner car in T4 races - GRRRRRR.

Having Flashbacks online, allow griefers to have a heyday online causing trouble.

GRID 2 being region lock by Steam, unless you know how to change Steam settings. Good luck finding hosts online at 6:00pm pacific time with Seattle region setting. Bugbear please do not make this mistake!!

Only 30 sec to finish 4-5 lap playlist races, a lot players end up DNF. Especial when you are stuck with a slower car against 20-30 level players with upgraded faster cars.

There no bumper to bumper racing like what we had in GRID 1 with touring cars. No same as host, got around 10 cars to pick from in each of the 4 tiers.

Those that never race GIRD 1 online, a lot them are OK with what Codemasters deliver online. But a lot us GRID 1 online fans are not.

If it was not for Codies releasing derby DLC and adding new Hardcore Playlist ( no flashback, damage on ) a couple weeks ago, PC GRID 2 online be about dead now.

Lucky for us, Bugbear been making good choices about online so far, like giving us text chat.  :)

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel