Author Topic: Dev Blog: Hello, rough surfaces  (Read 3083 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

This is really a detail in the greater scheme of things but like they say, the devil is in the details. For a long time, we've been unhappy with how smooth our surfaces feel, both on track and off-road. It's something that you too might have noticed at least subconsciously since it does take away from the immersion quite a bit when racing along a rough looking packed gravel yet the car is almost sliding over it like the surface was perfectly smooth. This is of course due to how tracks are created, for performance reasons the geometry is actually pretty smooth as you can see in the above image.

So how to get around this problem? Initially we experimented with a simple camera shake but that yielded unsatisfactory results since it's a very artificial effect that does not really affect car's suspension so for example when viewing the car from outside you would not notice anything. Not content with giving up, we cooked up a neat little physics feature that enables us to simulate high and medium frequency irregularities often prevalent on these types of surfaces, the results of which you can see in this gif:

Notice how the body vibrates and undulates when going over the small bumps on the road, suspension doing its thing? Since it might be somewhat difficult to see the effect in a small gif, here's another one showcasing it on a bumpier off-road surface:

We're very happy with the outcome since we believe it's really something that does improve the immersion quite a bit. It's also one of those things that will make racing feel even more physical, and like you know that's something that Wreckfest is known for. We're confident that you too will love it but what do you think? Let us know in the comments!

That's it for now but now that we got the ball rolling expect more development updates like this very soon!

The Very End

Oo shiny! And nice of you tackling the rough surface! Makes things easier than having to go mental with the polygons on the road to archive the same effect!

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks, and absolutely easier! It's completely non-destructive, very flexible and different types can be applied to different surfaces in a matter of minutes.

Purple44

Looks nice.  :D

Do you "feel" the roughness in force feedback when using a wheel Janne?

Do you see much difference between soft and stiff suspension when going over "rough" terrain?

Since I use the stock track maps to make my custom tracks, will this break my current tracks when the next Build come out? Or put another way, can I still run an old track file when new Build come out?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Callahan420

I like it and can't wait to try it out.

Janne Suur-Näkki

The effect is fully physical so yes, the suspension and vehicle physics in general will react to it the same way as "actual" geometry.

It won't affect modded tracks adversely, and as a matter of fact if the surface materials are configured properly the effect will be enabled automatically.

Finsku

"That’s it for now but now that we got the ball rolling expect more development updates like this very soon!"

OH BOI! Can't wait!

What happens if you drive with fast speed offroad? Is it easier to spin your car on offroad?
What about if you roll your car over on offroad? Will effect affect only to suspensions and wheels? Or will car handle different way if it moves upside down on offroad?

EDIT: Oh, I found answer

EDIT: Looking good! I'm happy to see more dev blogs!

Tonza

Funnily enough I was just wondering if you guys gonna come up with something since driving on the gravel roads was so smooth. That a biiiiiiiiiiiiig thumbs up from me. Also dev blog? This quickly made this cold dark wet day better.

The Very End

About the tagging, how does that work? In what order? I guess it's something like road#asphalt(physics)#shaderOfSomeSort#Bump? Or will the bumps be "baked" into the allready excisting physics / surface files, removing the need for an additional tag at the end?

In fact, can't you create a simple word document with definition of all the tags? :) Thinks like $part01, thresholds / mass tagging and a range of other are not documentet, and the only way to know about them it to test yourself to death as a modder currently :p

basti4655

Looks very good :) and realistic
I7-6700K, GTX 770, 8Gb Ram, Win 10 64bit

TheEngiGuy

Thanks for these devblogs, the final release is indeed looking good now! Physics improvements like this bring new life to Wreckfest for sure.

Speaking about physics, are rolls and landing physics tweaked to be more natural?

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for your feedback, guys! Can't wait until you have an opportunity to check it out in-game.

Very End, for ease of use surface bump will be available in the surfacelist (srfl) just like the other surface parameters, just select one of the available types and you're good to go. About tag types, to be honest I have no idea whether anyone even from us knows all of them anymore. We prefer to test to death and prefer that fledgling modders do the same to learn the ropes :D But really - of course we can look them up, although some of them are legacy and not working at the moment. I'll make a note about your request.

Engi, are you referring to something specific about rolls and landing physics?

The Very End

Thanks for info, I'll check out the surface file again when the release comes - thanks for looking into the request as well!

I think Engi mean that the car seems to flip forward when rolling, and doing a bit of flip on the forward axis if rolling in slow speeds. Sure, the engine is heavy, but sometimes when you roll the car does these kind of forward rolls like the center of gravity is all at the wrong places.
If Engi meant something else I'm sorry!

TheEngiGuy

Engi, are you referring to something specific about rolls and landing physics?

Well, this gif I found is an example http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/843713288760318992/5AEFA2CEE820F39064C7E1B68653687187F72847/

It's when the car goes crazy when landing and hitting the ground and then "tries" to get back on its four wheels. That break-dance  :D
Depending on the intensity of the crash and rolls, it happens like half of the time.

Thanks for info, I'll check out the surface file again when the release comes - thanks for looking into the request as well!

I think Engi mean that the car seems to flip forward when rolling, and doing a bit of flip on the forward axis if rolling in slow speeds. Sure, the engine is heavy, but sometimes when you roll the car does these kind of forward rolls like the center of gravity is all at the wrong places.
If Engi meant something else I'm sorry!

Got ninja'd, but you're also right. It's like the car suffers from ADHD and can't stand still  :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:34:24 PM by TheEngiGuy »