Author Topic: Dev Blog: Hello, rough surfaces  (Read 3084 times)

Adenru

Rough terrain matters.

sam223

Nice news. Anymore info about performance affecting damage?
I assume something to do with this which isn't used yet?

Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Janne Suur-Näkki

There will be another blog post covering mechanical damage but nope, it's completely newly written and uses dummies instead.

Scott

nice to see this added to add more handling characteristics to it. whilst talking about handling, will we see the damage start to effect the driving ability of the cars like in your sneak peek tech demo? like the suspension to give out and wheels coming off, that's what I feel is missing and a bit of a throwback to the Flatout series. also thought about if you had a pit lane feature like in Destruction Derby 2 where you could repair the car once in a race? (for doing a high number of laps) you'd bash x as much as you can, circling the car to repair parts in time limit. (5 seconds I think it was) but anyways loving it!

sam223

There will be another blog post covering mechanical damage but nope, it's completely newly written and uses dummies instead.
Nice,looking forward to hearing about that. Anymore info on things we need to change/add regarding mods?
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

KingOfTheCakes

Really great stuff! Also, it's just nice to see an update :D
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

TT

Looks great!

I'm also curious how this will work out on some intentionally bumpy dirt/mud ovals and the very bumpy beach sand of a Daytona beach track mod if I ever finish them.

That wagon that was shown also looks like a blast! Thanks for showing us.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks!

This contraption will add high and medium frequency bumps on the surface and while it has quite a lot of randomness to it, large scale bumps and depressions on the track should be created with actual geometry. This way you can also keep the polycount low.

Sam, since you should already have the dummies for the engine and the tires in the vehicle models, no changes to the model are needed. There are a number of new parameters for setting up the thresholds for the damage but the vehicle will work even without setting them up, so nothing game breaking.

Kompressor

BUGBEAR, guys, you knew! Just thanks. It was needed. :)
i7 4790k; G1 Sniper Z97; R9 290; RAM 16Gb; Seasonic 850 Gold; Xonar Essence ST; Win10; Game on HDD.

Rowdy Burns

Loving the attention to detail... Can`t wait for the next blog post covering mechanical damage!

Purple44

Engi, are you referring to something specific about rolls and landing physics?

Well, this gif I found is an example http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/843713288760318992/5AEFA2CEE820F39064C7E1B68653687187F72847/

It's when the car goes crazy when landing and hitting the ground and then "tries" to get back on its four wheels. That break-dance  :D
Depending on the intensity of the crash and rolls, it happens like half of the time.

I'm not sure if Bugbear should be tweaking things much more to effect what seen in gif. I like going for a good tumble run and it create some WOW moments online when other players get see it happen.  :o

Tumbling runs like this give Wreckfest some arcade feel a lot of players want.

Watching basti4655 latest crash compilation video with the current June Build, the crashing looking pretty good to me.  :D
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Daystar

Thanks for keeping us in the Know what's going on loop Bugbear! it is much appreciated really. And I like this latest development

Tonza

Engi, are you referring to something specific about rolls and landing physics?

Well, this gif I found is an example http://cloud-3.steamusercontent.com/ugc/843713288760318992/5AEFA2CEE820F39064C7E1B68653687187F72847/

It's when the car goes crazy when landing and hitting the ground and then "tries" to get back on its four wheels. That break-dance  :D
Depending on the intensity of the crash and rolls, it happens like half of the time.

I'm not sure if Bugbear should be tweaking things much more to effect what seen in gif. I like going for a good tumble run and it create some WOW moments online when other players get see it happen.  :o

Tumbling runs like this give Wreckfest some arcade feel a lot of players want.

Watching basti4655 latest crash compilation video with the current June Build, the crashing looking pretty good to me.  :D

Agreed, I love me a good ol' tumble, and I don't really care whether it looks realistic or not if it's WILD like in the current build :D
It's one of the things that define wreckfest for me

Caley19

This is exactly what gravel tracks and around the track surface needed! Can't wait to see it in game, great work BugBear  :) Also I hope for improved cameras especialy chase near, chase far and cockpit cameras, because sometimes it just feel so smooth for a game where you're driving on bumpy roads, crashing and fighting with others for the best position. In my opinion those smooth cameras are one of the reasons why the game is boring sometimes especialy when driving in first place... sometimes it just feels like you don't even need that car in front of your camera  :D it's just smooth camera circling around the track like you can see in lobby when starting the race. Also when speeding up or changing gear could get some effects in camera movement. Looking forward for more dev blogs  :)
Also known as John Blackhills.

Purple44

This is exactly what gravel tracks and around the track surface needed! Can't wait to see it in game, great work BugBear  :) Also I hope for improved cameras especialy chase near, chase far and cockpit cameras, because sometimes it just feel so smooth for a game where you're driving on bumpy roads, crashing and fighting with others for the best position. In my opinion those smooth cameras are one of the reasons why the game is boring sometimes especialy when driving in first place... sometimes it just feels like you don't even need that car in front of your camera  :D it's just smooth camera circling around the track like you can see in lobby when starting the race. Also when speeding up or changing gear could get some effects in camera movement. Looking forward for more dev blogs  :)

John, have you played with the Settings> Gameplay> Camera Shake setting?

I use 39% for my far cam.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel