Author Topic: Dev Blog: Asset drop  (Read 1675 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

By now, you've probably gotten used to many of our tracks currently being at <em>proxy</em> stage – a technical, slightly euphemistic way of a game developer saying that they are pretty unfinished and only have the most crucial features dialed in to make them more or less playable. Well, fear not! That's not how they will look in the final game.

During the last few months we've been working at overhauling and polishing the track environments, and for that purpose we have a varied selection of different assets and props that we are using to decorate the tracks according to real life references. So yes, while some of our tracks are fictional, to make them feel more authentic we're still using real-world references that we think match the environment and the style we're looking for. During this phase we've also put in new details and fixed the remaining issues with our older, more polished tracks, so almost every kind of track has received some kind of a treatment.

These assets we have range from large, such as different kinds of buildings for track facilities, to smaller like speakers and transformer boxes, even small plastic garden chairs. Now, the latter might not sound overly important or even interesting, but they're equally important at breathing life to the scene and giving it a sense of credibility. Also, with clever planning different looking buildings around the starting area can be used to give each track a bit of a unique trait, something that the player can use to distinguish the track from others. Furthermore, different conditions and materials of props (old, new, wood, metal, etc.) play a significant role in making some tracks appear more run-down and some more high-end, important for the career progression.

It's not going to be long before you can see it all yourself in-game and OF COURSE experience some Wreckfest style extreme racing in our shiny new environments, but meanwhile check out some teaser images below with more to come as we push forward.

Thanks for reading! We'd love to hear what you think so make sure to comment!

TheEngiGuy

Interesting! That's exactly what I'd expect from a Bugbear game.
Mixed 2 has been sitting under construction way too long, very curious to see how that turned out.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Well, I can already tell that it looks like a proper race track now :)

Daystar

Looking really detailed Janne! great stuff indeed!!!  Thanks for keeping us updated with progress  :)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks! What was not mentioned in the blog post is that we've also tried to improve the materials, as you can probably see.

Tonza

even small plastic garden chairs. Now, the latter might not sound overly important or even interesting, but they're equally important at breathing life to the scene and giving it a sense of credibility.
Who doesn't love smashing through garden stuff haha  :D. I wonder if you guys planning to add just tad more destructible stuff on tracks, like those little shipping container huts in the sneak peek. Would fit right in for example to the gravel 1 track

crashkid3000

I was wondering if we can blast through (some) objects just as we could in the sneak peek version... four years ago? Also, I hope one can recreate these rockets from the sneak peek in a mod. It literally was a blast!
... enjoys wrecking other cars

CPU: Intel i5 4460 (4 cores @ 3.2 GHz)
GPU: Gígabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 2 * 8GB DDR3-1600

Adenru

I hope more assets will incline for more accidents.

Purple44

It's not going to be long before you can see it all yourself in-game and OF COURSE experience some Wreckfest style extreme racing in our shiny new environments, but meanwhile check out some teaser images below with more to come as we push forward.

Hmm, does that mean we may see a new Build release before Christmas??  :D

Janne, did the gas bottle get a redesign ( red gas bottle in pic above ) or is that a second gas bottle for us modders to play with?

Thank Janne for doing these blog posts to give us an idea where Wreckfest is headed as you guys get game ready for final release version.  :D :D

Interesting! That's exactly what I'd expect from a Bugbear game.
Mixed 2 has been sitting under construction way too long, very curious to see how that turned out.

Well, I can already tell that it looks like a proper race track now :)

What about the second track on Mixed 2, did this track get finish Janne? The second track be a real good track to race small cars on.  :)

Jump to 7:55 to see the Mixed 2 track:

I was wondering if we can blast through (some) objects just as we could in the sneak peek version... four years ago? Also, I hope one can recreate these rockets from the sneak peek in a mod. It literally was a blast!

Would love to see the rockets from Sneak Peek v2 make it into a derby mode someday!!!  :D :D

Would love see the coppers in in Cops and Robbers mod get to use rockets to hunt the robbers, but game would have to be able track the rockets online for all players. That might be hard to do.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:26:40 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Callahan420

Thanks for the update and keeping us in the loop. Hopefully we get to view these new assets in an update. They look nice and a welcome addition as well.

Finsku

Why I got an image from BB texts that we'll get full release before New Year.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking good! I've seen you're working hard from steamdb, I hope you get your beta out as soon as possible  :)

sam223

Looking good,should definitely help flesh out the empty tracks
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Rowdy Burns

Looks fantastic... I don`t think I`ll be stopped long enough when the game is released to admire all the hard work lol I will try and crash test other players into things to see how they react though!  :)

Purple44

Why I got an image from BB texts that we'll get full release before New Year.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking good! I've seen you're working hard from steamdb, I hope you get your beta out as soon as possible  :)

Bugbear sends out texts? I don't have a cellphone. Got a link to the pic Finsku?

Did check my emails and last email from Bugbear was Oct 10 2016 about Stuntfest being available.   :P

I think it be a bad move by Bugbear\ THQ to release a final version without the community getting to test a beta first!!   :o

If Wreckfest is close to final version and ready to be release this month, you would think the hype train would be starting up to get the word out about Wreckfest??
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Tonza

Purple I think we should wait until confirmed release date before spreading too much word about it... I hope bugbear or thq nordic will release a trailer once the game is out.

Its a damn shame the steam reviews are very biased, might turn away potential players if they take steam "reviews" seriously. thats what we need a trailer for, to show people that there is a complete game ther