Author Topic: Dev Blog: Paint customization  (Read 5402 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Paint customization is one of the features that has been high on everyone's wish list for Wreckfest, and it's not surprising since it's likely one of the most important features with which you can trick out your ride to stand apart from the crowd. Due to this, it's also been something that we've been really keen to add at some point, and finally, we're happy to let you know that it's going to be included in the upcoming major update!

Here it is in action:

Sophisticated decal painters are fine and dandy if you're into that sort of thing, but they can be difficult and time-consuming to master for the average player who just wants to pick a rocking design and race. Since we really wanted to make sure that as many players as possible will have a chance to race with their own battle colours we opted for a painter that will allow you to choose from a variety of designs, ranging from plain paint to folk-racing and banger racing themed varieties, and then customize the colours to their liking. With this approach, it's a breeze to make your car look completely different

You can, for example, go from this...

...to this, in a matter of minutes:

Imagine the possibilities when combined with visual customization parts – even if you have the same car as your buddy, it can look completely different! Needless to say, paint customization is fully supported in multiplayer as well so your dear rival will be able to instantly know it's you when you crash into them. Also, if you're a content creator it will be easy to add support for paint customization for your vehicles, opening up cool new possibilities.

What do you think? Any specific type of liveries you think would be a perfect match for any of our cars? Let us know!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:39:18 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »

The Very End

Looks great! Simple but sufficient feature.
As the Red Volvo with Black Stripe covering it; More of this kind of lively please. Not too complex paint jobs makes more sense when changing the base / lively colors IMO. More specified, stripes from back to front are mandatory, "splash" lively's and so on. Maybe country-flag lively's, much like what Trackmania games offer?

Purple44

Looking good Janne!!  :D

Do have question, can you add custom number, 1-999? like 44?

Also, will skinners have to learn some new tricks to make skins that are customize-able  or will game take care of changing color of a custom skin?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:30:52 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Weymire

So, as far as I'm understand there will be a possibility to upload/download custom decals to Steam Workshop, right?
WF Russian community:
http://vk.com/wreckfest

Intel Core i5-2500k @4.3GHz, MSI GTX 970, 12 GB RAM, SSD Plextor 256 GB, HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB, Windows 10 Pro

Janne Suur-Näkki

Sorry Purple, nope. At least not at this point ;)

Janne Suur-Näkki

@Weymire Sure, that's always possible, and if you add the masks there can be 1-2 colors that user can customize.

The Very End

Forgot to mention; Make sure the AI's actually chose different skins and variations too. With this much flexibility it would be a shame if any of the 23 cars looks identically on the start grid.

Frisker

Looks good! Sure I would love the option to manually place numbers and/or flags and stuff on the car, where ever I'd like to like in older Need For Speed games with the vinyl editor. But this too is sufficient enough.

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

TheEngiGuy

This will be fun!

Forgot to mention; Make sure the AI's actually chose different skins and variations too. With this much flexibility it would be a shame if any of the 23 cars looks identically on the start grid.

Agreed, same goes for car parts.

Tonza

This is honestly the best way to go. You know what kind of sick stuff trolls would come up with if there was complete freedom with custom paints. It's simple enough for everyone to use and it let's you get personalised look, I like it.

As for paint jobs you can never go wrong with some stripes or flames.

Janne Suur-Näkki

That too, and also the fact that most people don't care to spend many hours painstakingly placing decals and stuff like that, so to really go that route we would have also probably needed a way to share custom creations online, in-game, which in turn would have been a pretty resource intensive task for us and would have meant less time for something else.

AI is already using customized paints, so every car is different. Visual part support is there too, but not used yet.

Rupe Wilson

hi all, Great stuff really liking it so far..
for me you cant go wrong with keeping it simple but
Don't forget the good old camouflage paint schemes they always look good
flower power hippy stuff i love bright colours.

keep up the great work

Rupe.

sam223

Sounds good Janne. Just another alpha channel on the texture for 'base colour #2'?

Any news if you were going to unlock more than 64 parts?

Looking good Janne!!  :D

Do have question, can you add custom number, 1-999? like 44?

Also, will skinners have to learn some new tricks to make skins that are customize-able  or will game take care of changing color of a custom skin?

I have an idea of how i could add support for this^ if there were more visual parts available.

As for colour suggestions. Different colour roof,diagonal stripe,2 diagonal stripes etc like The very end said will allow a lot of players to race as their favorite team colours/drivers
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:31:28 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks, those will be very easy to add (some of them we actually already have) by us as well as modders.

RickyB

Awesooome ! :D You make me happy bugbear... and it is so good to see these regular dev_blogs now.

There's the zebra pattern already, maybe.. leopard? Or how about some classics like the 'gulf camaro', or more modern ones... stripes in all variants... simple ones as you already have, I guess some would like tribal / tattoo patterns? ...too many ideas :)

Choosing your own number would be the icing on the cake of course. :)