Author Topic: Dev Blog: Paint customization  (Read 5018 times)

Hi!

And checkered and/or national flag to roof/hood/trunk.

Finnish folk racing skins (Nokian UA) (auto 30).

https://dl.kuvat.fi/?token=dl5a2ad1208dd917.44302000&mode=show#linkki_vanhenee-%C3%A4l%C3%A4_jaa
Nothing Beats Cubic Inches --- Bigger Is Better

Corsair Carbide Spec-03, AsRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer, Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz 6 Mb Cache, 2 x Asus Radeon R9 270X 4 Gb, Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz 16 Gb, Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 Gb, Acer G276HL, Logitech G25, Win 7 Pro

xStizzy

I'm not really interested in fancy stripes, decals and numbers , but I really like simpler, rough designs like some of the derby class cars in FO2/UC that just have some mismatched parts , like the Shaker or Switchblade.
I want it to look like it came straight from the junkyard, basically. :P
Is that kind of thing possible with this?

RickyB

I really like simpler, rough designs like some of the derby class cars in FO2/UC that just have some mismatched parts , like the Shaker or Switchblade. I want it to look like it came straight from the junkyard, basically. :P Is that kind of thing possible with this?
That would be great as well, but with just 2 different colours, there's only so much you can do. Maybe with a whole door or hood as a decal there could be 3 different colours... would really fit well into this game and is pretty much what I thought some time ago, painting skins :)

Janne Suur-Näkki

That's definitely doable, the color of the scrap yard parts just cannot be changed (which, in a way, even makes sense from a stylistic point of view).

crashkid3000

Can anyone tell me if we get to choose the number displayed on each paint job? Also, can we freely select which sponsor decals are applied to the car? Looks like paintjob customization will be as ample as Need for Speed: Most Wanted's (2005) if both questions can be answered with a "yes":
  • Base paint
  • One vinyl layer, freely tintable
  • Some sponsor decals
  • A number on the car
  • Customizable speedometer
  • ...just kidding with the last one
  • Tintable rims?

Lastly, is the danger sign on the back of the wagon in the first design constrained to it? Or can we put it on any design, maybe even any car we want to?
... enjoys wrecking other cars

CPU: Intel i5 4460 (4 cores @ 3.2 GHz)
GPU: Gígabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 2 * 8GB DDR3-1600

Dalags

This is an awesome looking feature! The simple stripes, diagonal lines and painted roofs are what most Banger paintjobs are like.
An onscreen Hex colour code would be helpful when using the colour slider, so team mates can get exact matching colours.
A decal for different countries flags would be nice, especially for online.
Different coloured wheels to match the paint would be great too.
Coloured boxes and circles on the doors is something a lot of Bangers used to have, so numbers would stand out.

Another good way to make cars unique, would be to have an easy way to make cars have the appearance of being pre-raced.
Adding slight dents/scratches for damage, and different tiers of dirt/dust/mud, paint peeling/cracking or even rust patches on the cars would be amazing.

CFodder

I might have missed this earlier in the thread but are we able to add a custom decal to the car ... was thinking mainly along the lines of our clan logo on the car somehweres :).

Janne Suur-Näkki

Well - not really, not in-game anyway. That would require a dedicated decal editor in which you could compose your logo from elements + sharing system.

Callahan420

Another great update. I like the simplicity of changing the paint jobs and like others would like to be able to display a custom number.

CrashsTestsFr

The system looks good =)
+1 for custom numbers (May I ask the possibility to choose from different fonts ?)
https://www.crashs-tests.fr
Windows 10 / i7-4790K 4Ghz / nVidia 1080 GTX / 16GB  Xbox One pad / G27 / T500RS
Oculus DK2 & CV1

CFodder

Well - not really, not in-game anyway. That would require a dedicated decal editor in which you could compose your logo from elements + sharing system.
Not any point to it if not in-game lol, but thanks for replying and clarifying it :).

Caley19

Another good way to make cars unique, would be to have an easy way to make cars have the appearance of being pre-raced.
Adding slight dents/scratches for damage, and different tiers of dirt/dust/mud, paint peeling/cracking or even rust patches on the cars would be amazing.

That's a good idea not just as a paint customization but also as a visual effect on the track and maybe in garage after race. Simple example - you start with a clean car and after so many laps your car gets muddy and dusty from the road. Great way to show that you are racing for a long time and your car survived a lot. And if you will be able to see the effect in garage you can say to yourself "this car did a great job surviving the whole race!"  :D
Also known as John Blackhills.

sam223

Did you manage to increase the limit of visual parts variants? I was thinking i could use that to allow people to add numbers to their cars in game,but it will use up 30 parts.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

RickyB

Did you manage to increase the limit of visual parts variants? I was thinking i could use that to allow people to add numbers to their cars in game,but it will use up 30 parts.

Not a bad idea to use visual customization for numbers. Would just need 10 parts for each number spot... like those flip numbers. If they go ahead and increase the number of visual parts, BB could do it themselves... in vanilla game :)

sam223

Not a bad idea to use visual customization for numbers. Would just need 10 parts for each number spot... like those flip numbers. If they go ahead and increase the number of visual parts, BB could do it themselves... in vanilla game :)

Yea i was thinking just re-purpose 3 assembly parts which don't do anything. Ignition,exhaust and manifold maybe. First number 0-9 options,Second number 0-9 options,Third number 0-9 options. 30 planes added to the model,mapped to 1 sheet of numbers with transparent background.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2