Author Topic: With Dec Build, some mods in Mods list crashing game when I scroll to them!  (Read 427 times)

Purple44

First to set the stage. Game updated and I rebooted computer to make sure I have fresh computer to give Wreckfest a go. Before update, my game was set to load The Very TrackPack. The Rock Bottom Derby still run, but after derby ends, when I click on continue, game crashes.

When I went to Mods list to get my game back to stock, scrolling down the list to uncheck The Very TrackPack, came crash twice. My third try scrolling the list I made it to The Very TrackPack and was able to uncheck The Very TrackPack and game restarted. Checking online, game says I'm still modded, still had my "safe mods" enabled. Do the Clear All option and that get me back to stock online. I re-enable my safe mods: custom cams, skins and my purple smoke and game says I'm still stock online. :)

So now I'm curious why game crashing when I scroll the mods list. In my testing I found if my mouse marker is on a certain mod, it would crash the game. Here the 4 Workshop mods in my list that crash the game:

RATFIX
  -  Created by  P R I T C H A R D - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1098705286&searchtext=

European 1 Custom
  -  Created by   STRmods - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=934898578&searchtext=

Bugbear Bug  -  Created by   STRmods - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=918072801&searchtext=

TrackFest
  -  Created by   Ricky - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=838223262&searchtext=

So here 4 different mods, done by 3 different modders, what they have in common that crashing Wreckfest?

When you move the mouse marker to each mod, would seem game pulling up the preview pic and description from each mod's folder in Workshop.  So what in that folder ( like the preview pic ) or the modinfo.modi file that game not liking now?

Can anybody verify that these mods crash your game when scroll to them in your Mod list?

Has anybody found other mods that trigger this crash in the Mods list?

Here pics of my many mods to give idea of the "safe" mods that are not crashing my game when I scroll the Mods list:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:32:51 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

repost:

So here 4 different mods, done by 3 different modders, what they have in common that crashing Wreckfest?

So I have figured out it is the preview images causing the crashing in game, non standard previews in workshop being pulled to be used in the in game mod list menu. In my case animated previews, others may have an unsupported format.

Fix is simple, new preview image... Standard JPG or PNG nothing special and it should be fine, ofcourse with the usual 1mb limit restriction.

Fixed  the mod list crash with both the Bugbear Bug and Euro 1 custom so you can remove those from the "unsafe" list :) Fixed all of my others that were effected too.

This mod also causes the problem for me

Figure 8 Track Pack - P44
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1183229009

Now what is wrong with car mods that cause the fatal disk error?

Thanks for posting fix STRmods.

Figure 8 Track Pack - P44 mod in Mods listing crashing your came when scroll to it STR?  Does not crash my game when scroll to it and it using your basic jpg file.

MarcellusW

Having same problem, though at 3rd computer restart I was able to activate 2 of my mods.

Since the updata I have another issue, I can no longer convert .BGO3 to .scne, when I drop my .bgo3 onto the build_asset I get a message in the cmd.exe saying:
"bgeometry.exe is no longer recognized as an internal or external task, program of batchfile". WTF

Have not tested yet if 3ds Max still be able to produce .scne file.

Purple44

I can report all 4 the mods I listed do not crash my game now when I scroll to them in the mods list. :)

STRmods

Thanks for posting fix STRmods.

Figure 8 Track Pack - P44 mod in Mods listing crashing your came when scroll to it STR?  Does not crash my game when scroll to it and it using your basic jpg file.

Yeah for me it freezes as soon as I hover over it just like mine did, its the only mod on my list that does it now

Proof
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:33:15 PM by STRmods »

Purple44

STRmods, I change preview pic a bit and then resave it and then did an update. Please test Fig8 mod in Mods list again, see if it still crashing your game.

Janne Suur-Näkki

If you want to you can fix the preview images yourself, but we'll of course patch the crash in the hotfix next week since not all mods are being updated.

STRmods

STRmods, I change preview pic a bit and then resave it and then did an update. Please test Fig8 mod in Mods list again, see if it still crashing your game.

Yeah the problem is fixed now, thanks :)

STRmods

If you want to you can fix the preview images yourself, but we'll of course patch the crash in the hotfix next week since not all mods are being updated.

Possible to have the ability to set a specific image for ingame? So you can have the regular steam workshop preview then a totally seperate preview for ingame if you so choose. Would be nice to be able to make previews for both places specifically.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Is this issue still happening for any mods?

EDIT: Got it, no need anymore.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:54:06 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »

STRmods

Is this issue still happening for any mods?

EDIT: Got it, no need anymore.

There's still a few that will be effected but I don't have them installed. My suggested option above would be best, either have an editable file to determine the path or that reads from preview.jpg/png in the root where the .modi file is so for people who just use a simple jpg or png it shows in both workshop and in game, then for people who want to use animated or any other format for steam workshop (or simply just a different image for each purpose) can specify a different image using the path option in the .modi to set a different image to the one used in game.