Author Topic: Weird dark textures, weather dependent - what's going on?  (Read 3155 times)

RickyB

Noticing wierd dark textures after december update and saw TVE post about it in the december update thread, so I thought this deserved it's own thread. Here's TVE's post:
There is something fishy going on the with weather settings..
Some of my custom tracks looks black and strange when at certain weather settings, while other looks alright. Sometimes it even looks like the road looses it's specular and normal map textures when chosing certain weathers..   Intentional?

Another example with all 5 weather settings. Notice how the white lines from old speedway 1 behave strange, but also old objects and custom textures do the same.
- Bright Day -

- Clear Day -

- Sunset - (During sunsets it looks like the normal map is reversed or something, as if the line goes into the ground and is not on top of it.)

- Sunset 2 -

- Sunset 3 -

So is this intentional, is it a bug, did Bugbear change something about how the game uses _n or _s maps? Any help how to fix it would be appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:41:54 PM by RickyB »

STRmods

I'm also getting horrible dark mess on my car mods that looks like an AO bug

here's what ive got...

This is how the car was at first...

Then I reexported all the textures and it cleared most of the darkness but it still has some problems shown here...

Here rotating to a different angle on the light made the whole car go dark, again seeming like an AO bug

I got a similar issue as well & I can't work it out. ???

RickyB

Hope you're right and it's just a bug. Saw the same dark lines thing on Sandpit 1.(vanilla track) And re-exporting every texture could also be necessary ofc...  :/

sam223

I also have the same problem with cars with what seems to be _ao_c. But removing that file did not help. Some track makers have reported issues with normals on tracks. Maybe that is the same issue with cars?

Pre December patch with same textures.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:10:57 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

STRmods

Yeah I noticed my tracks seem generally worse lit than before too, and yeah I think it is ambient occlusion messing up some how. Hopefully something unintended that the devs can fix

The Very End

Thanks for creating the topic :)
Tried re exporting some of my tracks and change textures, no change.

The Very End

Ok, something is not right here.. the tree textures aparently opens a rift to an alternative dimmension...

Bobby Koticks

No worries.

That's just Bugbear's paradigm shift in art direction. It will revolutionize racing game genre. Banger racer simulation with art direction slightly borrowed from Nitronic Rush / Distance and pushed to absolute 11  8)

my opinions are facts

The Very End

While at it, old weather settings don't work well either. Tried using Picards mod with weather, but it's a bit of a gamble. Some looks almost ok while some weathers mess everything up.
Hopefully this will be able to get a hotfix on the upcoming week.

STRmods

Yeah or at least some dev info, because at the moment I'm not sure if I should bother trying to fix any mods if it's something in the game that needs fixing

Janne Suur-Näkki

Since there has been some changes and improvements, old legacy weathers need to be updated before they can be used.

As for the issues with _n maps, have those textures been re-converted? The only change really has been a transition to a more higher quality BC5 compression, meaning that all textures need to be converted again.

In case you're having issues with a texture that has been converted again, could you please share it with us so that we can take a closer look?

Daystar

Since there has been some changes and improvements, old legacy weathers need to be updated before they can be used.

As for the issues with _n maps, have those textures been re-converted? The only change really has been a transition to a more higher quality BC5 compression, meaning that all textures need to be converted again.

In case you're having issues with a texture that has been converted again, could you please share it with us so that we can take a closer look?

Oh pray tell Janne!  what needs to be corrected in weather settings? I have 5 weather mods out there that probably need to be fixed!!!! let me know what bagedit settings need to be tweaked. thx bud

The Very End

So using the old BB texture won't work either then? Even textures without a normal map seems to be really all over the place :s Just take a look how the tracks in TVTP looks lol....
Also: Sometimes it seems like it's only part of the model / models that get's all messed up, then other parts looks fine and some weathers are almost OK while other triggers everything to go horrid hehe!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:34:49 PM by The Very End »