Author Topic: Weird dark textures, weather dependent - what's going on?  (Read 5420 times)

The Very End

No worries ;) I have a bit experience with software projects, to sum it up: it can be an pain in the ass.
But please when the time allows, consider an bmap updater. So do not need the assets in any format, just updating them. In adition, would it not be better if the game read the material and desided what to do with the texture instead of so strict name ruling? For example, _ns textures could be used as before by ignoring the alpha channel (which held the specular info) instead of strictly forcing it to be _n only? When textures is assigned to a blend material the additional specular information would be used :)
Re exporting them all really is a bit of a project.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:49:52 AM by The Very End »

RickyB

Yeah so due to changes in bgeometry, shader id is wrong in some of those old scne-files. If you change it to 90, it might work.
Still, it would be better if you guys could use assets in latest build and not that old legacy stuff :)

Awesome, thanks! I like to keep that old asset because it has just the right size for that location and I'm assuming the new ones are not compatible with Stuntfest Editor which I use for placing objects because Blender exporter does not support xref'ing :/

And as for releasing our own tool to convert bmaps back to TGA, there might be some legal/license issues that prevents us from doing so.

Does that mean breckfest is technically illegal? Or is it because of .tga? If so, I think any format would do. .png for example :)

Purple44

Awesome, thanks! I like to keep that old asset because it has just the right size for that location and I'm assuming the new ones are not compatible with Stuntfest Editor which I use for placing objects because Blender exporter does not support xref'ing :/

I also use Stuntfest to add and move objects on the stock Wreckfest tracks. But some track maps, like the June version of Spandpit 1 not loading in Stuntfest now:

I assume some time next year Stuntfest will get an update and I hope the editor will get update to load current tracks in Wreckfest. Or better yet release a Wreckfest editor along the lines of the Stuntfest editor.  :D

Also Petri. will the Stuntfest objects need be upgraded so they will load without issue into current version of Wreckfest?  I had to delete the light bulbs from the Stuntfest arrow to get arrow to load in the June Build.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

RickyB

yeah, let's pray for a Stuntfest update one day... or a Wreckfest editor of course. would be even better.
Also Petri. will the Stuntfest objects need be upgraded so they will load without issue into current version of Wreckfest? 

I used some of those white concrete blocks from Stuntfest Editor and they had the dark textures after december update. Had to edit the bump map to get rip of it.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Also Petri. will the Stuntfest objects need be upgraded so they will load without issue into current version of Wreckfest?  I had to delete the light bulbs from the Stuntfest arrow to get arrow to load in the June Build.

The answer would be yes.

RickyB,
the issue with licensing is that if we buy models or textures from somewhere else, their licence might say that we can't release them in open format (max, tga, psd etc.)

The Very End,
texture name tells bimage how to compress the texture, for example n is compressed using BC5 and ns using DXT5. Engine also uses that data to do various things. I can check after the holidays if there is a way to make ns-maps work again without too much work. It would propably mean that you would need to build all the textures again anyway :)

The Very End

No, NO, GOD NO NOOOOOO!
Please ignore everything I said, don't make me do it all again after many hours of work to get even half way through all the tracks D:

RickyB

texture name tells bimage how to compress the texture, for example n is compressed using BC5 and ns using DXT5. Engine also uses that data to do various things. I can check after the holidays if there is a way to make ns-maps work again without too much work. It would propably mean that you would need to build all the textures again anyway :)

Hmmm... I think we could need some updated documentation on all that maps/textures/channels/naming stuff. I'm having problems to get specular or reflection maps/slots to work (with _ns maps.) I can't use the #blend tag, because Blender exporter does not support blend maps. (despite the name 'blender'  :o)   Can I make my own _s maps? Is bimage okay with _s as a filename? Where would the specular info have to be in a dedicated _s map... or make my own _s maps from old _ns maps? Damn, so many questions, but no time anymore, sorry - It's almost Christmas. I don't expect an answer this year. :)

Enjoy your holidays everyone, I'd be glad if this stuff gets sorted out maybe next year.

sam223

for the _ns issue cant you just unpack the old texture,rename it _n and then repack it?
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

RickyB

for the _ns issue cant you just unpack the old texture,rename it _n and then repack it?

:o Oh my god, well, of course? *facepalming* - I believe it's working! Thank you so much! You're the man! Halleluja, praise the sam, a Christmas miracle :D

Dalags

Is it possible there's something wrong with Sunset1? It's the only weather causing issues on my track surface.
My track surface has a blend map, and is using textures from exampletrack, and have been reconverted with the new Bimage. The track surface is completley flat.
The mesh has faces going round in an oval, with the infield just being filled with faces (makes no difference with quadfaces).
The infield shares the same blend map and material ID as the outer oval surface.

On Sunset1, the infield appears to be more reflective when in shadow (box placed in front of the sun).

There's also a very obvious transition appears between the outer oval and the infield elsewhere on the track

None of this seems to occurs under different lighting conditions, e.g Sunset2, Sunset3

Had a look at the exampletrack ingame, and the same effects are quite clear on the inner oval.
Sunset1

Sunset2

Rotating the track by 90 only affected shadow reflection slightly because of the sun position, but not the oval to infield transition.
Moving the track up, down, left or right didn't change anything. Having an all Red blend map still triggered the harsh transitions and reflections.

The Very End

I agree with you, something is really messed up with the weather or general light in game now. The devs points to normal maps and how AO maps are handeled, but even with that something is seriously wrong.

Dalags

Okay so I've solved the problems in my post above.
The problems occur when vertices which are next to each other on the mesh, are not mapped as next to each other in UV channel 1.
The game must be calculating some weather lighting over UV channel 1, rather than the actual mesh or UV channel 2?

In the exampletrack, on UV channel 1, the outer ovals UVs run horizontally outside of the 0-1 UV space to tile the texture around in an oval shape.
However the infield is just planar mapped and its UVs are placed randomly within the 0-1 UV space, obviously not lining up with the tiling outer oval UVs.

Remapping everything with a planar map in UV channel 1 so the UVs match the mesh like the image below, solves the lighting problems in my post above.

Something extra to note was that shrinking the existing UVs into the 0-1 space did not solve the problem. Rescaling the remapped planar map is fine, and it can go outside of the 0-1 space, as long as the UVs match the mesh.