Author Topic: Weird dark textures, weather dependent - what's going on?  (Read 3949 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Check out the weather in BagEdit and you'll find Ambient Color Intensity, Ambient Reflection Intensity, Cube Diffuse Intensity and Cube Sky Intensity - mainly those since they have replaced the old ambient parameters.

Feel free to play with Ambient Occlusion parameters as well, and if in doubt look at one of our weathers for reference.

Janne Suur-Näkki

So using the old BB texture won't work either then? Even textures without a normal map seems to be really all over the place :s Just take a look how the tracks in TVTP looks lol....

I'm afraid nope - any texture, whether it's from us or not, will need to be converted again, otherwise the channels will be messed up resulting in all kinds of funky issues.

The Very End

OOooooooo Fuck, that's....that's brutal.. We're talking several houndred textures here...
Is there a way to "fool" the system or let's say have a script that convers the bmap files we have now to the new standard?

Daystar

Thsx for info Janne. but heed this old saying my dear friend. if it aint broken, why fix it! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

lol no worries, I still like you!

Janne Suur-Näkki

In case you have the original assets writing such a script shouldn't be difficult.

The bright side in all this is that the end result will be of far better quality with less compression artifacts.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thsx for info Janne. but heed this old saying my dear friend. if it aint broken, why fix it! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

lol no worries, I still like you!

Phew! :D

Again - the end result will be much better with the new ambient calculation so it's totally worth it.

The Very End

Well, if only the build asset supported / had a function  to update a bmap to new bmap, because using breckfest to get a png/tga and back to bmap can cause issues too.

Will see what to do, been a bit of time since I did a script and never done scripts for converting image types.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Oh yeah, you're still using our old assets... That's pretty hardcore, urgh.

Daystar

Well off to testing my weathers 250 times on our new build. "1 lap / 0 Opponents" to see how my weathers are doing  :D   wish I knew actual settings that are optimal. omg this will take some time haha... s'all good though...

Janne Suur-Näkki

Mike, just take a look at one of our vanilla weathers and ape the settings, should be a good starting point.

STRmods

Here's a video that shows some weird black lines and patches slowly fading in when changing paint, it does this with all my car mods including the euro 1 custom, though smaller black marks than shown on the Bug (which is using its original textures but rexported)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:57:43 PM by STRmods »

Janne Suur-Näkki

That's indeed AO being calculated and applied, but not sure where it pulls the black line from, a bug in the model?

The Very End

Even if I have to re-export all textures, there is some fishy going on. For example, on my track Greenlake Valley, almost half the track is covered in black shroud, while other has perfect lightning. No aperant normal issues. But then if I try a other track with same types of textures I do not get as much black shroud, but normal textures messed up and aligned in wrong direction...

Janne Suur-Näkki

We were discussing that issue with Kev too, he's experiencing it as well. Where is your scene located at, coordinates?

sam223

I have similar strange black marks after re-converting _n,_s and _ao_c. Its like shadow cast from the map,except the garage has no objects

Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2