Author Topic: Go behind the scenes for a car damage test drive  (Read 21818 times)

Joonas Laakso

Another busy week! We’ve been hard at work on destroying cars. Specifically, how to make them break down in a more spectacular fashion.

We really enjoy the work and put together this behind the scenes video of damage testing in progress to show you what it’s like. We hope you’ll get as big a laugh out of it as we do!

Bear in mind it’s still all work in progress and in no way final. (And yes, it’s soft-body deformation.)

Steam Greenlight update

We went on Steam Greenlight just last week and we’re already voted number 25 most wanted game out of 1390 games. Thank you! Let’s break into the top 20 next!

Go vote here.

Kalashnik

Looks really nice but, in head on collision the car looks very light bouncing back and all.. does not behave as i think it should..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:04:13 PM by Kalashnik »

GladoSC

Looks really nice but, in head on collision the car looks very light bouncing back and all.. does not behave as i think it should..

Agreed. Everything looks fine except that frontal collision.

Joonas Laakso

We agree. It's work in progress. The whole bounce/mass transition/crumpling thing is really only a problem in head-on collisions, but needs something done about it.

stoogah

Agreed. Everything looks FANTASTIC except that frontal collision.

Indy

It seems the front of the car is set to be more durable than the rest. I think that it is needed for gameplay reasons (u use it for crashing into other cars) even though it means less realism. Those side collisions looked absolutely reallistic though.

sam223

Damage looks good but way to much particle effects and detachable parts,makes the cars look like they are made from fiberglass held together with tape.More bending less shattering please

you see,no parts fully detached even on very rotten car :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:49:47 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

NeatNit

I agree with the above - I am assuming (and hoping) that the damage is greatly exaggerated in all pre-launch material and will not actually be that bad in the final game.

dave3d

Fun little video!

Personally, I didnt like this part of the email though:
And don’t think that’s all. Not only the technology has been completely overhauled and brought up-to-date, but we’ve also gone to the source and figured out what a game like NEXT CAR GAME is really all about: taking your rust bucket, building it into a formidable track weapon and then battling it out on the track. To that end there’s now a lot of focus on car building and maintenance, with hunting for rare, sought-after parts and replacing damaged components, all that brings an added tactical element to the gameplay.

I hope that the option to cause realistic damage or not to the car will influence this part of the game?
IE: If I turn off the damage to car (make it so that the damage is visual only), I WONT have to buy new parts for the old crumpled parts (bumpers, hood, fender, etc)? Rare parts?
Because otherwise, it turns the game into an rpg, and thats not what I want to play.
I loved the FO2 way of getting parts. They were upgrades only, and if you had the money, then you could buy them. If you didnt, you had to make the money. Both Borderlands 2 and Defiance (granted, not racing games at all, but the point is still relevant) make 'rare' items so hard to get, it is seriously ridiculous to even try to get them, unless you have 4,000 hours to burn every month.

Also, it really sounds like Burnout. I didnt like the Burnout games.
:(

Just my opinion though.
I hope it doesnt turn out like the above.

EDIT:
Sorry, what I was SLEEPILY trying to get at is this (I have had a coca-cola and a shower, and can type coherently now, lol):

We shouldnt be spending more time in menu's than on the track.

Less Football/Baseball/Soccer management, and more FO racing.
:)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:41:48 PM by dave3d »

ninjaman999

Ill be honest, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the crazy exaggerated crashes and stuff from the trailers because not only do they look beautiful, but I'm sure from the cockpit view, the particles and car pieces bouncing off the windshield would looks INSANEEE <333
Plus the front of the car SHOULD be a little bouncy for 2 reasons
A: Bouncing back a little bit from a crash gives the player a little time to re-adjust and get back into the race quickly (Unlike the head on collisions of Flatout UC <3)
B: The front is one of your main weapons so it needs to be durable to make slamming in to folks much less of a risk (Unlike getting hit from the rear or sides) :D

dave3d

Plus the front of the car SHOULD be a little bouncy for 2 reasons
A: Bouncing back a little bit from a crash gives the player a little time to re-adjust and get back into the race quickly (Unlike the head on collisions of Flatout UC <3)
B: The front is one of your main weapons so it needs to be durable to make slamming in to folks much less of a risk (Unlike getting hit from the rear or sides) :D

I disagree.
Try playing FO3 (I know its not a Bugbear game). Every time you hit something, you bounce back. It is very frustrating, especially if you dont have a 'reset' button.

RacerBest

Fun little video!

Personally, I didnt like this part of the email though:
And don’t think that’s all. Not only the technology has been completely overhauled and brought up-to-date, but we’ve also gone to the source and figured out what a game like NEXT CAR GAME is really all about: taking your rust bucket, building it into a formidable track weapon and then battling it out on the track. To that end there’s now a lot of focus on car building and maintenance, with hunting for rare, sought-after parts and replacing damaged components, all that brings an added tactical element to the gameplay.

I hope that the option to cause realistic damage or not to the car will influence this part of the game?
IE: If I turn off the damage to car (make it so that the damage is visual only), I WONT have to buy new parts for the old crumpled parts (bumpers, hood, fender, etc)? Rare parts?
Because otherwise, it turns the game into an rpg, and thats not what I want to play.
I loved the FO2 way of getting parts. They were upgrades only, and if you had the money, then you could buy them. If you didnt, you had to make the money. Both Borderlands 2 and Defiance (granted, not racing games at all, but the point is still relevant) make 'rare' items so hard to get, it is seriously ridiculous to even try to get them, unless you have 4,000 hours to burn every month.

Also, it really sounds like Burnout. I didnt like the Burnout games.
:(

Just my opinion though.
I hope it doesnt turn out like the above.
I think this part sounded awesome! It will be fun building a car and getting rare parts.

FlatOut 3 doesn't deserve the name FlatOut. It's total crap.

PiPe

Damage looks good but way to much particle effects and detachable parts,makes the cars look like they are made from fiberglass held together with tape.More bending less shattering please

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Damage looked very good and realistic (except that head-on collision needs to be adjusted little bit in my opinion) but there was too much unnecessary little parts flying around when the car got totally crushed.

Looking good though  ;)

dave3d

Sorry, what I was SLEEPILY trying to get at is this (I have had a coca-cola and a shower, and can type coherently now, lol):

We shouldnt be spending more time in menu's than on the track.

Less Football/Baseball/Soccer management, and more FO racing.
:)