Author Topic: Go behind the scenes for a car damage test drive  (Read 22896 times)

05HemiMagnum

I think it would be awesome if you put something on the race tracks where if they have shortcuts, if you overshoot a corner or something then you drive right into a crusher like that.  Gotta implement that into the tracks somehow.

crazychris4124

I think it would be awesome if you put something on the race tracks where if they have shortcuts, if you overshoot a corner or something then you drive right into a crusher like that.  Gotta implement that into the tracks somehow.

^THIS^

Purple44

Hmm, In Flatout 1 there was a shortcut through a junk yard and there were tracks through a construction area. This would of been good places for a "crusher".

I believe Bugbear hinted that NCG will have some quarry tracks and if they put in a junkyard somewhere, there would be some good places to have a "crusher" or 2 to bump another player\AI into.  :)

What if you had to jump over a crusher for a shortcut and if you came up short, your car got crush?  :o
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Joonas Laakso

We do have a lot of stuff coming off the cars in crashes. That is very much intentional, much like we know that real derby cars do not have windows for obvious reasons, but we like the glass shattering and flying through the air in a crash too much to leave it out.

We are not in the business of simulating car crashes. We are in the business of having fun with car crashes. Our inspiration comes from games with high-speed crashes as well as Hollywood crashes, not so much real-life crash tests, which tend to leave your car undriveable on a single hit.

The point with all the effects (dust, sparks, bits of metal and glass) and loose parts is to have satisfying, informative visual feedback to all the crashes. We want you to know that you've hit something and we want to make it feel as good as possible. Just like a shooter would have a splash of blood on a hit and a cloud hanging in the air at the point of impact, we do the same with debris.

RacerBest

Haha, the crusher in race sounds fun idea.
Imagine in online race two guys take the shortcut at same time, the shortcut would be narrow dangerous path, with no room for two to drive side by side, so the other player would push the other in the crusher.  :)

igoruxa9c1

We are not in the business of simulating car crashes. We are in the business of having fun with car crashes. Our inspiration comes from games with high-speed crashes as well as Hollywood crashes, not so much real-life crash tests, which tend to leave your car undriveable on a single hit.

8) You on the right way, i think. Thank you!

Crazyw0lf

Yeah i would say it looks fine the wayt it is now it makes it more spectacular. If they would make it realistic then most people would not even make corner 2  :P

I like the effect of it appart from some kind of dust effect i saw flying about but i think that was the glass effect?? If not not sure were the dust came from as its a white slab wall? :p

dbs213

A physics playground would be rad! It'd be a perfect place to see the cars you've built getting scrapped (without hurting your career progress assumingly)

Now about the crushers, I feel rather indifferent. It sounds fun but what happens to the driver? :P

(Maybe he magically disappears from his car just to avoid certain death, I mean this isn't a game meant to show gore.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:19:00 PM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

Mopower

There's a "BeamNG" word in every message...
Come on, guys, stop to compare!
We're all know that NCG is better!

Whoa whoa.... The soft body technology of BeamNG is far more realistic. And the weight of the vehicles is good. The cars bend well lol. But John, just relax okay. You will find your dad soon

lastbreath

Holy shit! Poor car! :'(

But I still consider chassis should be more resistant. After each side impact the car became two times thinner. Like it was made with plasticine.

BeamNG team has another problem: their cars don't have low mass center and are very unstable. 

sam223

We do have a lot of stuff coming off the cars in crashes. That is very much intentional, much like we know that real derby cars do not have windows for obvious reasons, but we like the glass shattering and flying through the air in a crash too much to leave it out.

The point with all the effects (dust, sparks, bits of metal and glass) and loose parts is to have satisfying, informative visual feedback to all the crashes. We want you to know that you've hit something and we want to make it feel as good as possible. Just like a shooter would have a splash of blood on a hit and a cloud hanging in the air at the point of impact, we do the same with debris.
I understand your rational but it is disappointing to find out you will be adopting the more OTT=more fun approach. Theres been many games like that before that have died,do we really need another?
If i hit a stationary car at 60-70 mph it would be nice to see it totaled (and possibly myself wrecked) and not just see its panels/inner wings/doors/bonnet fly off in a cloud of particle effects and it then speed away in a cloud of nitrous. See:grid 1/2,burnout series,flatout series and the terrible dirt showdown etc.
Like i said in another thread its all risk vs reward.If i take a big hit risk,i want a big hit reward.Not just another generic arcade racer pretending to replicate real life derby/contact motorsport.There's no crashing satisfaction in that.

This has certainly changed my mind in regards to pre ordering as i was really hoping BB were gonna produce something not available on the current game market (BeamNG isnt a game,yet.Its just a soft body physics demo).

My question is this;Will there by any option to change car damage to be more inline with reality? If not,is it something modders will be realistically be able to reproduce using NCG?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:20:54 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Cat_G3orge

I understand your rational but it is disappointing to find out you will be adopting the more OTT=more fun approach. Theres been many games like that before that have died,do we really need another?
If i hit a stationary car at 60-70 mph it would be nice to see it totaled (and possibly myself wrecked) and not just see its panels/inner wings/doors/bonnet fly off in a cloud of particle effects and it then speed away in a cloud of nitrous. See:grid 1/2,burnout series,flatout series and the terrible dirt showdown etc.
Like i said in another thread its all risk vs reward.If i take a big hit risk,i want a big hit reward.Not just another generic arcade racer pretending to replicate real life derby/contact motorsport.There's no crashing satisfaction in that.

This has certainly changed my mind in regards to pre ordering as i was really hoping BB were gonna produce something not available on the current game market (BeamNG isnt a game,yet.Its just a soft body physics demo).

My question is this;Will there by any option to change car damage to be more inline with reality? If not,is it something modders will be realistically be able to reproduce using NCG?

But... It's not supposed to be a simulator...

Cornkid

There's a "BeamNG" word in every message...
Come on, guys, stop to compare!
We're all know that NCG is better!

Whoa whoa.... The soft body technology of BeamNG is far more realistic. And the weight of the vehicles is good. The cars bend well lol. But John, just relax okay. You will find your dad soon

The way I see it is that BeamNG and BB engine are 2 seperate matters, one implemented in a game, the other just a tech showcase.
Seriously Mopower,  john was just singing praise of NCG,  but just relax, we will find youre long lost manspheres soon ;)

sam223

But... It's not supposed to be a simulator...
This isnt about it being a simulator.But i was under the impression that this would be a game that pushed the boundaries of contact racing since they have full creative freedom i.e not be yet another arcade racer.

Now this is just pessimistic speculation but from experience if a company cannot replicate car damage realistically on the most basic level,how can they produce big crashes/damage on a large scale without glossing over it with post processing effects.
Ive seen it many times before where a company claims to reproduce amazing car damage only to find on release its the same as "insert old racing game with car damage' with more effects.

In the video on the home page it even says they are trying to produce a game that pushes the boundaries and the publishers are uneasy and want to make changes to appeal to the mass market. But from what i see,NCG is exactly like the other OTT games that already appeal to the mass market?

If this is what NCG is going to be,im on the wrong forum following the wrong game i guess....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:06:59 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

lastbreath

If i hit a stationary car at 60-70 mph it would be nice to see it totaled (and possibly myself wrecked)
Man, it's a game! If they implement so realistic crashing - each race will be ended in a minute!