Author Topic: Hope I made a good decision! just ordered a new GFX card  (Read 3128 times)

Daystar

Yep time to upgrade my graphics card a bit. noticed lower frame rates with this December build. so just purchased me a new NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 4GB GDDR5 128Bit PCI-Express Video Game Graphics Card
for pretty cheap!

Should be much better than my Radeon R7 200 series card I hope! uhm anyone getting great performance with the GTX960 in here?

let me know pls... oh and seller has 4 left... so get it cheap while supply lasts!

Daystar

Bought that card on an impulse I should say... I know by reviews it's a good card.                                                                                                           _
but...

Can my system handle the card?

My pc specs.

Operating System
   Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
   Intel Core i5 3450 @ 3.10GHz   47 °C
   Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
   8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-S1 (Intel Core i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz)   28 °C
Graphics
   227E4LH (1920x1080@60Hz)
   2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Gigabyte)   30 °C
Storage
   931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EFRX-68PJCN0 ATA Device (SATA)   36 °C
   931GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA)   42 °C
Optical Drives
   ASUS DRW-24F1ST a ATA Device
Audio
   Realtek High Definition Audio

But only a 450watt power supply....

Will my system be good enough for the GTX 960?

The Very End

On my phone so cannot check that much sorry, but my initial thought is that there are two things to worry about;

1: The power supply. 450 might not be enough here. Double check how much the card itself demands, usually this is found in detailed specs of the card on sale sites.
2: The pci slot on your main card. If I know right the card uses PCI express, but not all main / mother cards have that. This informationis usually also hidden under more info / details / advanced if you want to look it up on sake sites.

DD-Indeed

Quick search on Google gave the information, that GTX 960 requires at least 400w power supply, the one you have is just and just enough. CPU is fine, shouldn't be a bottleneck.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Also keep in mind that not all power supplies are made equal - depending on the quality of the components, some might be rated @ 450W but are only capable of putting out 60% constantly.

Daystar

We'll just have to wait and find out I guess. thanks a lot for all the feedback guys! it really is appreciated. been watching youtube vids on this card, and I am impressed! much better than my crappy 27 - 30 fps indeed! and looks great at 1080p them games!

St. Jimmy

I'd say the power supply is enough.
960 doesn't require much power because 970 was also very power efficient. Your CPU won't also require much because you can't overclock that and turbo boost won't go too high with that one.

If I remember right Purple upgraded from 660 -> 960 so he can give you some information what to expect from your new card.
Official Wreckfest Discord
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,6GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Daystar

Great St. Jimmy! sounds more reassuring than what I previously read in the comments!  :D thx for letting me know.

Paul_B

Just upgrade from a GTX 960 2gb the game played okay with it, mostly medium settings got 60+ fps. Now with a GTX 1060 running smooth med/high.
Intel Xeon quad v3-1220@3.1ghz/ASUS Z97-A
Nvida GTX 1060 6gb/16gb HyperX ram/Windows 10/ Thrustmaster TX Leather Wheel/ Thrustmaster  T3PA Pedals / Logitech G27 Shift

Callahan420

I have the same card and it works fine for me. 750W power supply though so no help there although you should be ok.

Operating System
   Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
   Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz   
   Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
   8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (9-10-9-28)
Motherboard
   ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (CPUSocket)   34 °C
Graphics
   Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
   FullHD TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
   Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASRock)
   4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA)
Hard Drives
   224GB PNY CS1311 240GB SSD ATA Device (SSD)
   2795GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 ATA Device (SATA)   
   60GB Crucial C300-CTFDDAC064MAG ATA Device (SSD)
   1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 ATA Device (SATA)

Daystar

Well what do you know... when somethings seems to good to be true! got a pm from one of the users here in the forums, showing me a youtube video about the Graphics Card scammers out there.
and  sure enough, card depicted is a fake GTX 960, and in reality according to numerous comments it is a damn GTX 550 Ti!!! Damn it!!!

Well I compared that card to mine at this awesome graphics card comparison site
it has my infos already in the bookmark http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-240-vs-GeForce-GTX-550-Ti

I come to realize that it out performs my shitty radeon r7 card. so hmmmm I might just keep it and call it even,.. granted it was not that much money to buy.
I will report it to ebay ofc since scammers need to be stopped! I will hopefully get my money back, but but if my WF runs faster than 30fps I might not complain... ughh do not know what to do yet.
just effin pissed. one give away about the depicted picture of the alleged GTX960, is that it has a vga port. and in comments people are saying that the GTX960 does not have vga.

I was just so excited to see a great card at such a low price. considering I do not have much money, I jumped on that deal, stupid stupid Stupid me!!!!

I learn now, not to trust ebay. 
when will I ever learn haha!

The Very End

Sad to hear :( If the money was not that much, you might be better of (as you say), just taking it and report the seller. You might even be able to persuate the seller to return a bit of the money by saying you won't take drastic measures against him. Find the normal price for a GTX550 and demand the price to be the same as that. If not and the price was a bit step I would try to get the order refunded somehow, and then save for a real card from a manufacture / shop.

Hope you'll get it solved, but if stucked feel free to ask here - I'm sure people have had similar experience sometime in their life. For me it was a car I once bought which just caused me a lot of trouble...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:40:25 PM by The Very End »

St. Jimmy

Oh you bought it from foreign country, which might not be a bad thing, but China/Hong Kong/Taiwan aren't reliable places... Better browse your local country's tech forums sale areas so you can make f2f buys or at least can travel and knock the seller's door if things didn't go well.

960 used price is likely around 100€ because 970 goes for 150€ here.

Though I almost had a very bad experience even when buying from Finnish tech forums. I bought my current motherboard but the Finnish seller was living in Germany. The price was ok with the postage and it wasn't anything like a super deal. When I got the motherboard and I was going to drop the CPU in I noticed one of the pins was bend... Luckily after 30mins I got it bend back and the MB is still working well. The experience had a very high risk ending bad and I'm not ever again going to buy tech even from Finnish seller if he is sending stuff from other country. Usually I buy f2f.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:54:46 PM by St. Jimmy »
Official Wreckfest Discord
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,6GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Adenru

Weird, december build runs even smoother for me and some of my computer components date 2010.

Daystar

Sad to hear :( If the money was not that much, you might be better of (as you say), just taking it and report the seller. You might even be able to persuate the seller to return a bit of the money by saying you won't take drastic measures against him. Find the normal price for a GTX550 and demand the price to be the same as that. If not and the price was a bit step I would try to get the order refunded somehow, and then save for a real card from a manufacture / shop.

Hope you'll get it solved, but if stucked feel free to ask here - I'm sure people have had similar experience sometime in their life. For me it was a car I once bought which just caused me a lot of trouble...

Thanks Bud... yeah the product was shipped yesterday. just going to wait till it shows up, if it does! and when it gets here, I will analyze it. I bet the bios have been altered and shows incorrect info in my device manager. and I do not want to melt the heat sink away, to look at the gpu. might really mess something up. but like I said, if it performs better than my gfx card, I will just bite the bullet and keep it. and will learn from my mistake of ordering out of asia without researching the seller first. lear from mistakes right? lol but yeah i'm pissed off.

for sure will be bench marking it as well.