Author Topic: December update feedback after a week of playing.  (Read 339 times)

mvrersg

Some of my thoughts on the new Wreckfest update after a week of playing. These are my personal opinions and thoughts, so take them with a grain of salt.
I installed it the day it came out and have been trying to get used to it since, but it just doesn't feel right and true to wreckfests form.
There are certain things I've noticed that were always meant to be in the game from the beginning, like mechanical damage, the AI improvements, and rough surfaces.
The cars engines, to me, sound like broken refrigerators. They're missing that guttural, menacing, primal growl the past versions had. I feel like a lot of the new
cars could definitely fit in, but still keep their unique qualities with a little work. Specifically the dominator, the firefly, the panther, and 
maybe the El Matador. The Gatecrasher aleady fits in well. I also have no clue why we need restored versions of cars; they seem very contradictory to the soul of
the game, and look like they belong in BeamNG Drive. The paintjobs of all the cars now remind me of Nascar, with all of their bright colours and tons of little
sponsorship stickers. I dont have any qualms with multiplayer car customization though, because people want to be bright and flashy.
The previous paintjobs only had one or two stickers and had plenty of dirt and rust to make them feel old, which I really liked. The new ones only have a couple
scratches  and thats it. All of the cars handling and collisions now feel a lot lighter, and its really easy for the back end to swing out. The previous version
of Wreckfest felt heavy and like they had real impact. The previous handling mechanics on the rough surfaces would look and feel sooo good. All of the maps and
new assets look great, except I'm bummed out that my favourite map, (mixed 3 reverse) got logged of its lovely trees and now has all these concrete and metal
barriers. I can't fly down the hill through the starting grid, and then go up the jump to the sharp left on the edge of the hill on the other side. Both features of
the track are now separated into different routes. I didn't think the previous version of the map had any problems, so I don't know why you would change it.

Extra little ideas:
- Instead of the little "boop boop beep" as a countdown, I think a single foghorn blast would sound better.
- Bring back the noises of the cheering crowd, and for each race change the size of the crowd according to how many cars are in the race. If it's just you racing,
nobodys going to be there.
- Have the option to turn on depth of field in game.
- When you're starting your own race whether on singleplayer or multiplayer, be able to choose which sections of track to open or to close instead of being
restricted by just short circuit or long circuit. Doing this in sandpit 1 would let you have the hairpin turn that doubles back on itself, and also open the part
where you race through the section of the woods in one big track.
- Be able to separately choose how many cars are on either team for team races. I noticed that bugbear put out a patch to stop the cars piling up on you in demolition derbies, but I actually had a lot of
fun trying to avoid everyone trying to get me and pick off the ones I could. You could have yourself on one team and everyone else on the other.

I'm glad Bugbear is putting so much work into wreckfest and it's starting to look like a full game. I hope I'm not coming off as some uptight game critic trying to
change the face of the earth, It's just what I'm missing from the game and what I think would be cool.
I love you Bugbear!  ;D

P.S. Does anybody else miss the Wreckfest before this update? I feel like I'm the only one.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:19:11 AM by mvrersg »

Purple44

...  except I'm bummed out that my favourite map, (mixed 3 reverse) got logged of its lovely trees and now has all these concrete and metal
barriers. I can't fly down the hill through the starting grid, and then go up the jump to the sharp left on the edge of the hill on the other side. Both features of
the track are now separated into different routes. I didn't think the previous version of the map had any problems, so I don't know why you would change it.

I'm not happy with what Bugbear did to the Mixed 3 track. It was one the top tracks to race online ( like the long version the most, forward and reverse ). Not now. :(
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

mvrersg

Yea, it's really just a downgrade. I'm gonna miss it. I feel like they're changing the maps to look more fancy or more shabby so you can sort of move up the ladder in career mode.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:36:15 AM by mvrersg »

saudius

The graphic downgrade....the game look like a old one now...
The tarmac 1 is really ugly now..
The new grass looks fake...to much repetitive.
The handle is ok but don't feel enoughtr in the wheel
Some tracks look empty...where is the construction machine on sandpit.

Hope BB will improve all of this

mvrersg

The graphics really have changed. I think the new paint jobs on cars and the saturation of colour in the game contribute to that a lot. I remember the days you could just take screenshots
whenever you felt like it, then go and hang them in a museum. Just look at the all-awesome screenshot thread, all of the best looking photos we're taken in the old versions of the game. Some of the changes in the maps definitely weren't needed, but like I said I think they're trying to make some look fancier for the career mode.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:26:20 AM by mvrersg »