Author Topic: Announcer  (Read 721 times)

jtrank

Hi! I think a cool addition to add some immersion effect into the game would be to have an announcer that yells throughout the race giving progress on who's in the lead, when there's a big crash, something like that would be cool i think!

sam223

Might be good but you'd have to be really careful imo. E.g Dirt 2/3 and showdown had the worst commentary ive ever heard. Id rather they didn't bother in those games.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Adenru

Will be hard making commentary which won't become dull considering huw much stuff happans around.

Mopower

I think it would be neat if Bugbear did special events once a month where they code in a special announcer for those events just to give a minute or two long intro, and maybe during the results or at the end of the event itself, they have the announcer announcing that, but most of the time, announcers are too bloody  annoying to F with.

Caley19

Might be good but you'd have to be really careful imo. E.g Dirt 2/3 and showdown had the worst commentary ive ever heard. Id rather they didn't bother in those games.

No need for commentary maybe just text on the screen like "Final lap" should do the work.
Example: "YourName is a new leader!" "YourName was wrecked by AnotherName!" "ThisGuy wrecked you!" or "You've been wrecked by ThisGuy!"
I think it shouldn't need a lot of code to add them to the game
Also known as John Blackhills.

sam223

No need for commentary maybe just text on the screen like "Final lap" should do the work.
Example: "YourName is a new leader!" "YourName was wrecked by AnotherName!" "ThisGuy wrecked you!" or "You've been wrecked by ThisGuy!"
Yea that might be more appropriate than repetitive voice recordings. Personally id rather not have the clutter on screen though. Would rather visual clues i.e start marshall gets ready to start waving checkered flag when leader goes onto last lap.Crowd go wild when someone gets DNF near by. Encourage more personal car customization with players. So you can tell whose hitting you/who you're hitting without screen text.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Caley19

Yea that might be more appropriate than repetitive voice recordings. Personally id rather not have the clutter on screen though. Would rather visual clues i.e start marshall gets ready to start waving checkered flag when leader goes onto last lap.Crowd go wild when someone gets DNF near by. Encourage more personal car customization with players. So you can tell whose hitting you/who you're hitting without screen text.

That's actualy a very great idea. It could make track feel more alive and player would be more focussed on what's going on around him.
Also known as John Blackhills.

TheEngiGuy

"You've been wrecked by TIME TO reconsider life choices!"

Speedevil

DiRT 3 (and I guess DiRT 2 too but I didn't play that one) didn't have commentary during the races, just some guy who spoke to you before and after each race, which they had since Grid. I think the announcer in Showdown is so bad he becomes kinda funny.

sam223

DiRT 3 (and I guess DiRT 2 too but I didn't play that one) didn't have commentary during the races, just some guy who spoke to you before and after each race, which they had since Grid. I think the announcer in Showdown is so bad he becomes kinda funny.
Didn't they have really bad voice actors talking to you during the racing in dirt 2? or maybe im thinking of dirt 3? whiny voices saying 'stop ramming me' etc
I remember dirt 2 had the awful menu commentator? and showdown had a commentator you couldn't turn off?

I remember turning it off immediately (or muting volume) in the older one anyway, as the game kept calling me 'bro' every 30 seconds
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:31:52 AM by sam223 »

jtrank

I had in mind something similar to the announcer in Test Drive Eve of Destruction, if anyone's played it before, one of my favorite childhood games, and i always liked the goofy announcer that game used