Author Topic: Nvidia shadowplay.  (Read 1154 times)

plakman

Hi there,

I had family over and wanted to show the game to them as my brother in law loves flatout uc...
so i was like, sure this game might be perfect.

And then there i was,
Booting the game, getting to the bugbear logo. Then, nothing,
PC freezing, or rather, my main screen where the game is running is just locked.
tried to get task manager to my second screen with no succes. (works if you put manager to second screen before booting the game)

So after a few hours of roaming the internet with no results i just had a hunch that nvidia shadow play was the bad thingy.
Cause i bought a new pc a year ago. the only thing that changed between now and then is that i went up from 580 to 1080 wich includes shadowplay.

so i turned it of and the game just booted like it should.
Wich my brother btw loved!

So i let him play a bit,
turned back on shadowplay as he left.
tried again and again it would not start.... with shadowplay activated.

CPU goes to 0 and ram stops at like 400 mb.
screenshot: https://puu.sh/yNFZC/412a02e222.png

as you can see the program just stops doing anything.
and i love to use nvidia shadowplay for the 5 mins it can keep if something nice happens
and for the fps counter.

If this can be looked into please.
16 Gb ddr4 ram,
Asus ROG z270f mobo,
Gtx 1080 asus strix aoc,
7700k intel not overclocked,

Tonza

Hi there,

I had family over and wanted to show the game to them as my brother in law loves flatout uc...
so i was like, sure this game might be perfect.

And then there i was,
Booting the game, getting to the bugbear logo. Then, nothing,
PC freezing, or rather, my main screen where the game is running is just locked.
tried to get task manager to my second screen with no succes. (works if you put manager to second screen before booting the game)

So after a few hours of roaming the internet with no results i just had a hunch that nvidia shadow play was the bad thingy.
Cause i bought a new pc a year ago. the only thing that changed between now and then is that i went up from 580 to 1080 wich includes shadowplay.

so i turned it of and the game just booted like it should.
Wich my brother btw loved!

So i let him play a bit,
turned back on shadowplay as he left.
tried again and again it would not start.... with shadowplay activated.

CPU goes to 0 and ram stops at like 400 mb.
screenshot: https://puu.sh/yNFZC/412a02e222.png

as you can see the program just stops doing anything.
and i love to use nvidia shadowplay for the 5 mins it can keep if something nice happens
and for the fps counter.

If this can be looked into please.
Shadowplay is a piece of garbage software, OBS (open broadcaster software) is better in every way, you should use that.

plakman

Not sure if you can read the topic,
This is about shadowplay,
Not obs.
16 Gb ddr4 ram,
Asus ROG z270f mobo,
Gtx 1080 asus strix aoc,

Tonza

Before witty answers you should double-check your own reading comprehension, I said you shouldn't use that garbage program, but if you willingly choose to do so, be my quest. There's literally no reason to use shadowplay when OBS exists. It has the same features as shadowplay and can use shadowplays crappy codec if you will, + more...

TheEngiGuy

First of all, please refrain from causing flames.

OBS Studio does have replay buffer feature, so it can be a good alternative for now until the Shadowplay issue is sorted out for the OP. Still, let's not make this thread a mess and let's wait for someone who actually has any solution about making Shadowplay work with Wreckfest.

Devin

Did you set Shadowplay to be able to record your desktop? In that mode it shouldn't possibly be able to screw with any games. To comment on the suggestion to use OBS, first of all please don't start flames, and second of all there is indeed a downside to using it which is why I don't use it, and that is CPU usage. Regardless of what you use for encoding, simply rendering out a video in realtime will inevitably eat some performance and since OBS tends to hide in the background so that you don't notice it, it often just causes your videos to stutter for many games or if you are simply unlucky.
Because of that I simply use Shadowplay for recording, as I have literally no problem or downside with that and I don't even notice it running if it weren't for the recording symbol on screen.

Tonza

Did you set Shadowplay to be able to record your desktop? In that mode it shouldn't possibly be able to screw with any games. To comment on the suggestion to use OBS, first of all please don't start flames, and second of all there is indeed a downside to using it which is why I don't use it, and that is CPU usage. Regardless of what you use for encoding, simply rendering out a video in realtime will inevitably eat some performance and since OBS tends to hide in the background so that you don't notice it, it often just causes your videos to stutter for many games or if you are simply unlucky.
Because of that I simply use Shadowplay for recording, as I have literally no problem or downside with that and I don't even notice it running if it weren't for the recording symbol on screen.
As I said, if available, OBS can use NVENC, the exact same encoding that nvidia uses which is built-in in any videocard that can use shadowplay in the first place. NVENC uses gpu to render. OBS's default setting is x264 which is in fact done by the cpu (it has miles better quality). If anything, OBS has less performance effect since it doesnt have any useless overlays. Please.

Devin

As I said, if available, OBS can use NVENC, the exact same encoding that nvidia uses which is built-in in any videocard that can use shadowplay in the first place. NVENC uses gpu to render. OBS's default setting is x264 which is in fact done by the cpu (it has miles better quality). If anything, OBS has less performance effect since it doesnt have any useless overlays. Please.
Then you my friend really don't know the technical details :P I wasn't even on about the ability to use NVENC, that should be the obvious choice anyway. The shadowplay "overlay" has no impact as it is literally just a sprite rendered by the GPU, which is something that can be done since the 80s without a performance impact if done like that.
However, OBS actually grabs the video (copying it from the framebuffer which is already slooooow), then renders it into its own little canvas (which also takes a bit of time, though not much), then grabs the result of that canvas (which, in hardware rendering mode which is probably what OBS does for performance reasons) which also takes time and clogs the GPU and even a thread on the CPU, or in software mode straight up slowly renders it into a canvas in RAM which costs tons of CPU power, then passes that result back to NVENC to encode, which in turn returns the compressed and encoded data for the whole thing to save on the drive.

Meanwhile what NVENC does: It doesn't retrieve the framebuffer from the GPU, skipping pretty much every step of that process, and directly throws the framebuffer at the hardware encoder. Which then gets returned to the software which writes it to the drive. This process isn't only infinitely faster, but also automatically gets triggered on frame render so that you can't possibly have frame skip or performance impact on the recording, and it is virtually impossible to even notice that a recording is running except if you look at your HDD load if you didn't have the sprite on screen indicating it. For OBS oh daaamn you'll notice it. In fact I ditched it on my old laptop because that thing's i5 2500 (not a weak CPU) couldn't handle that part, even with hardware encoding enabled, causing massive framedrops and performance issues in games.

In fact, I still use NVENC with a software solution even nowadays for quick screenshots and screengrabs to send to people. But as it turns out this suffers from so many performance issues that I wouldn't even think about recording clips longer than a few seconds for demonstration with it. For anything I'd want to watch more than once, or even upload to youtube, I immediately go to Shadowplay, as the quality can't even be compared to the garbage that I get out of OBS. Maybe if you're one of those people who are convinced that the human eye can only see 24fps you won't notice the difference. But really, there's a reason for streamers and OBS users generally using multicore CPU beasts and CPU encoding. Because anything else will be too noticeable. And even those for realtime recordings would get better results using shadowplay.

So yeah if you have an alternative that can tell the GPU to directly encode the framebuffer using NVENC like Shadowplay does, let me know. Otherwise shadowplay outperforms every single alternative solution. Simple as that.

Additionally I have to mention, ONCE AGAIN, that this thread is not about OBS. It's about fixing shadowplay. If you feel obliged to constantly tell people how much better OBS is please do it somewhere else. But be told, your general attitude alone will make sure that no one will ever use OBS if you recommend it like this  ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:15:42 PM by Devin »

Tonza

The main performance and quality factor is the encoding. The way the way the program captures is irrelevant unless you are using 7 year old hardware, which you probably shouldn't even be using as shadowplay support is only for the newer nvidia cards (gtx 600 and up or something). I tested with shadowplay (2.11.4.0 version, which is the last version of the program I used as it started to require a login from I think version 3.0 and up) and OBS using nvenc and didn't notice any differences (using gtx 760, i5 4460,8gb ram and windows7). Irrelevant to shadowplay and obs discussion I also tested on a different machine (with amd processor and gpu) amd's own recording software, raptor, and neither did that have any effect on the fps. so yeah I admit if youre using old/weak processor you do benefit from using shadowplay, but if your processor is up to date with your gpu it shouldn't matter. also are you sure your laptop had an i5 2500? don't intel have M and U to represent laptop processors?

Matter of fact is I never would have started using OBS if it wasn't for the damned 3.0 update for shadowplay. I actually had it in version 2.11.4.0 for a long time after 3.0 release. shadowplay was ran upon boot and automatically turned on, so i never updated the useless geforce experience program. my harddrive died last summer and when I tried to install the 2.11.4.0 version (grabbed the installer from the old hdd to a usb stick) it just wouldn't work, the shadowplay couldn't be turned on. during installation it checks for newer version and i had to disconnect from the internet, otherwise it would force upgrade to 3.0. maybe it only lets you use shadowplay if you have the newest version, who knows. I loved shadowplay for the fact that it was running in background on boot. maybe theres a way to get the older version to work, and if there ever is, thats what im going to start using again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:06:34 PM by Tonza »

BenDover

@Plakman sounds wierd you have problem with shadowplay, I use it all the times and I have record with it for years for NCG.

Have you tried to update your GPU drivers and/or reinstalled the game etc?
Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

plakman

yeah,

Drivers are the newest. cause it had a pubg performance increase they said -.-"
reinstalled the game a lot trying to fix this before i knew it was shadowplay.
like totally removed it even the folders after uninstalling it.

i'm using shadowplay just fine on pubg tho.

I just tested it and shadowplay
is working on ncg sneak peak and throw a santa.
but the real game does not load.
16 Gb ddr4 ram,
Asus ROG z270f mobo,
Gtx 1080 asus strix aoc,

BenDover

yeah,

Drivers are the newest. cause it had a pubg performance increase they said -.-"
reinstalled the game a lot trying to fix this before i knew it was shadowplay.
like totally removed it even the folders after uninstalling it.

i'm using shadowplay just fine on pubg tho.

I just tested it and shadowplay
is working on ncg sneak peak and throw a santa.
but the real game does not load.

Dont know what it could be then sorry. It works flawless for me so it should for you :/
You might just need to w8 until devs comes back from the holidays so keep an eye in here until they are back!

Wish you all the luck to get this fixed...
Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

Devin

Like I've asked, does it work if you set shadowplay to be able to record your desktop? In that state it shouldn't be able to affect the game in any way and should no longer crash it in theory.
There were some huge changes to the engine since the tech demo so it is not unlikely that something in there doesn't want to cooperate with Shadowplay, and in non-desktop mode it directly hooks into the game which isn't ideal in some cases

plakman

Like I've asked, does it work if you set shadowplay to be able to record your desktop? In that state it shouldn't be able to affect the game in any way and should no longer crash it in theory.
There were some huge changes to the engine since the tech demo so it is not unlikely that something in there doesn't want to cooperate with Shadowplay, and in non-desktop mode it directly hooks into the game which isn't ideal in some cases

o shit sorry man,

i did test it out right now and yeah you are defenitely right!
while it's recordign desktop the game loads normally, tyvm,

on the other hand!
it's not a good fix for me.
if i put it to record desktop aswell it's fucking up shadowplay for pubg.
it was recording a frozen pubg round in the loby ffs rip good clip lol

now i just have to figure out if it records shit that i don't want it to lol.

thanks!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:55:36 PM by plakman »
16 Gb ddr4 ram,
Asus ROG z270f mobo,
Gtx 1080 asus strix aoc,

plakman

Bump,

This is still an issue. Tested today.
16 Gb ddr4 ram,
Asus ROG z270f mobo,
Gtx 1080 asus strix aoc,