Author Topic: A fitting game mode idea.  (Read 3453 times)

WolfSkyline

This sounds awesome great idea
R.I.P Mathilde <3

Mopower

I love this idea!!

I hope this can be taken into consideration for the game. I assume it wouldn't be difficult to implement considering it's only game mode options and doesn't alter any major part of the game.

If they couldn't implement this in the initial release then maybe it could be added as part of a DLC.

The tricky part would be you need two sets of checkpoints. One set for players going right at start of race and a set of checkpoints for players going left and game would have to figure out who won the race between the to sets of checkpoints.

I'm not so sure you'd need checkpoints. You could win via two outcomes from this race: either be the first to cross the finish line after a certain number of laps, or if it looks like no-one will be able to survive long enough to complete the prescribed number of laps, then be the last to survive.

Need checkpoints so ya have a start and a end to race and checkpoints keep players from cheating the track.

But ya got me thinking and I think ya could do this mode with 2 checkpoints. One at start of race and one at halfway point. The checkpoint at halfway point would force players to go that far before crossing finish line.

Also with only using only 2 checkpoints, you would not need a second set. If halfway the players cars are facing opposite direction at start line.

The trick for this to work is you would need a track that you could not cheat. The track I posted in other post would be easy to cheat with only 2 checkpoints, unless you enclose track with a solid barrier to keep players on the track.

Some you may be thinking, well use the reset map to keep player from cheating the track. If you remember in Flatout 1, you could cheat the track and have red arrow and lap would count if you did not cheat a checkpoint.

The restmap in FO2 would be better, it an automatic reset if get to far of the track. But this would be easy to cheat by swapping out reset file with a free roam reset file that does not reset your car any more.

I'm not against this mode if we get at least 12 players online, just saying it not an easy mode for Bugbear to setup and may not work on any old track.

And offline, still would have to deal with the spline points for the AI in both directions.

But it been pointed out, this game mode been done before, so it do able.  :)
Eh, doesn't bugbear use multiple checkpoints on most of their tracks anyway?

Purple44

Eh, doesn't bugbear use multiple checkpoints on most of their tracks anyway?

The checkpoints not the problem, problem is having one group of players use the checkpoints in forward order and other group of players use checkpoints in reverse order. Code in Flatout 1 and 2 would not let you do this.

Bugbear would have to rework their code a bit. This mode could be done, but won't be "simple" for Bugbear to do.

I hope this can be taken into consideration for the game. I assume it wouldn't be difficult to implement considering it's only game mode options and doesn't alter any major part of the game.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel