Author Topic: Things to avoid for a GOOD launch  (Read 485 times)

dave3d

Hello.
Long time, no here.
:)

I just updated and played the game for a little bit, but I couldnt play very long, as the game makes me naseous. I tell you why it makes me very sic, almost an instant migraine, below.
I also wanted to tell a few other things, that may end up making people not stay to play the game past the steam 2 hour limit.
I say all this, because I finally see some of the old BugBear in this game, and I want it to do well.

I have pics of some of the stuff outlined below if you want them for reference, and sorry for the FO4 ref, but it seriously applies here to this game, in tthat 1 certain aspect.

So, without further talk:

1. Starting players with the crappiest cars at the beginning of a game makes people mad. At least make a 1/2 way decent choice for people to play at 1st. Give people a choice of some maybe starting midrange cars. Leave the crappy cars for when people get to a certain point iin the game, or when they finish the game, they can 'mess around' with the crappy cars. PLEASE dont make people start with them. I hate this, and LOTS of people hate this. It can make a racing game sink fast. (I get that its a progressive system, but still. If you make people race crap cars, for a LONG time until they can get a new one (I see the money is VERY short per race), then it will make people leave the game for something more fun, up front, at the  start of the race.

2. NOT so much side to side damage, more front end to back end ratio, otherwise it ends up looking like FO4 damage ( all squished in from the foors and fenders, instead of more all around the car, makes it look accordian folder like ). You seriously dont want anyone to make any threads stating that this looks like FO 3 or FO 4 damage (which, the little tiny car you start with DOES look like, with only a couple hits to its sides, it damages in side too much, especially when you see the roll cage and and upped undercarriage on it). Not a good look (I have pics of both FO4 and NCG looking similar like this if you want to see), and also blends in to number 3:

3. The accordian look, smashed in from the sides, gives me a migraine after 4-5 maps. I think (98% sure) its because when 15 different lines are going past (4-6 'lines' from the sides of the road if there are concrete slabs on the side plus paint, plus the dirt lines 2 per road, plus the concrete barriers 2/8 per side (lines going from bottom of barrier up to top of mesh on top of barrier), and 4-12 of them are the car (2 sides of car, 2 sides of roof, plus any fender lines, plus any racing stripes, all wrecked and wrinkled up making those lines go down the road sideways, or slanted, with the car swerving side to side or even going straight but looking very crooked, make people VERY nauseuos. I could only take 5 maps of this before I HAD to stop, or I was going to throw up. Not kidding. Andm, I am playing at 2560x1440 @ 120 FPS, and no other racing game, beside FO 4, makes me this sic. And neither game makes me sick UNTIL the wrinkle/accordian look shows up. Until then, I am fine, I can race fine, the game is super fun, then 2 crashes and I almost have to quite. 5 maps later and I HAVE to quit. Its a shame, as I dont see any way around this, unless you put in a 'No Damage To Vehicles' option for people that may get sic from this. I will try later with no sticker/decals, and a flat/single color car, this might solve the pronlem. If it doesnt, then I will have to find out what else it might be.

4. AI comes on way too much last lap. WAY too much. Can be in 1st place way way way ahead, then ai comes from nowhere tearing it up making me in last place. Its worse than rubberbanding. It REALLY made me angry at the game, lol. But, this will also make noobs angry, and again they might just shut the game off and play something else.

Other than those issues, it is both looking good and finally starting to play good (although I still have an issue with how 'heavy' the vehicle feels in the turns, even when you are playing the mini car, and how it slides me 10x more than the ai does and they are going faster, so not really fair, both ai and me on Easy and vehicle on Automatic, on Keyboard).

Looking forward to seeing more from this game.
It has come a long way since I last played it.

U hope you take these into consideration, as SOME darn game needs to make it. Carmageddon? Dead before it hit shelves. FO4? Dead after that update that made the car damage accordian like (although it was bad after a couple hours playing anyway, that damage sealed it for me). Trackmania Turbo? What a joke. The Crew 2? Looking like 1 is going to be much better than 2 will be, so I dont think it will live as long as 1 did, but I could be wrong, although it plays like Trackmania Turbo with different vehicles, sigh).
I would LOVE for ONE racing game to make it, and make it big!
And, seeing the changes in KB driving, I hope its NCG that makes it, and I hope this helps you guys make it past the 2 hour play mark, and we have a game as good as FO2 and FO:UC were.

Thanks.
Dave3d

Lombra

1. Starting players with the crappiest cars at the beginning of a game makes people mad. At least make a 1/2 way decent choice for people to play at 1st. Give people a choice of some maybe starting midrange cars. Leave the crappy cars for when people get to a certain point iin the game, or when they finish the game, they can 'mess around' with the crappy cars. PLEASE dont make people start with them. I hate this, and LOTS of people hate this. It can make a racing game sink fast. (I get that its a progressive system, but still. If you make people race crap cars, for a LONG time until they can get a new one (I see the money is VERY short per race), then it will make people leave the game for something more fun, up front, at the  start of the race.

Do not agree, but I think rewards should be looked into instead, if it's really that bad. Or possibly making even the slow cars fun to race. I haven't actually played the game enough to determine whether that's the case, but I generally don't mind starting out with slow cars.

I think all cars should be available for quick races, however.

simosimo

I do wish we could pick a starting position (back, middle, front) as even though I chose a crap car I can still often get ahead.

The physics feel a bit quicker in the corners this update, even though there are no changes in the logs. I like it, the game needs to be more racey and less sim. Although why not have both!

Again, I dunno what BB did, but the game is fast, i'm seeing more damage and the ai are now smashing eachother and there's rolls and bit hits. It's shaping up to be a great game.

dave3d

I think if they give the 3 crappiest cars, its going to piss people off.
Maybe 1-2 crappy cars to choose from, and 1 mid-range crappy cars?
Or better yeat, 1 starting crappy, 2 mid-low crappies?

I have played enough I am sic and tired of playing the same crappy car over and over every time there is an update and I lose everything.
Then, I get the next car, and guess what? Its JUST as crappy as the 1st car! I only got up to 3 cars, and the 3rd car was just low-end crappy car, that was miniscully better than the other 2 crappy cars.

And I dont think giving more money for an upgrade has any appreciable effect either, unless the upgrades make the crappy car turn into a higher end mid  range car. How do I know this? I played Flatout 4. They throw more money at you, and you can buy upgrades, but at the end of the day, you get to buy more ... you guessed  it! Crappy cars!
So, although FO4 isnt BB game, the theme is the same, and so is getting so bored and pissed off with this scheme, that I wanted to point it out as something NOT to do!

;)

KingOfTheCakes

I can see where you're coming from, but all cars can be rented right out of the box in multiplayer at least, so it's not like you can't drive better cars. I'll say however they should also be rent-able in custom races too. In career mode I say the progression is pretty good overall, and honestly it doesn't take that long to unlock things if you have some patience. Took me a few days to get most of the cars i wanted, so it's not like it's the worst grind in the world.

Idk why you keep losing progress after every update though, I think you might want to check up on that in the support forum.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:09:46 AM by KingOfTheCakes »
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

dave3d

... In career mode I say the progression is pretty good overall, and honestly it doesn't take that long to unlock things if you have some patience....

Like 'sort of pregnant' ?
:(

I still stand by assertion that the easier it is to 'get into' the game, the longer people will stick around, nopt the other way around.
There are just TOO MANY good games, and shoot even bad games (but how do you know until you try it?) in gaming today, and devs still take a 'play our way or dont play at all' approach to gaming, when they should be taking a 'get as many gamers to buy the game as possible so they might stick around and tell their friends about it' way of gaming.
Shoot, with Steams 2 hour limit, and the setup taking so long for games nowadays, players get about 40 minutes of REAL gaming before they decide to refund or not.
Does no one get that nowadays?
Players are more likely to refund a game than take a chance on a game.