Author Topic: Game refuses to launch after January 2018 patch  (Read 849 times)

Nitronik

EDIT

Judging by the Steam reviews, I am not the only one having this issue after this update

Hello everyone  :-[

As of the january 2018 update, whenever I launch Wreckfest 64bit and 32bit on Steam,  nothing happens after the "Preparing to launch Wreckfest (January 2018)" steam dialog appears.

My Steam name turns green for a few seconds - as if the game was actually running - but after that nothing happens, and my name goes back to blue.

I am not getting any error messages. The game process never starts up - instead I only instantly get a Windows Error Reporter process, the prompt for which never appears on my desktop

Things I've tried so far :

-Good old PC reboot
-Verifying Cache (all files validated)
-disable_mods startup option
-Launched both 32bit and 64bit Wreckfest
-Deleting save data

No hardware changes on my system. Every build up to this one worked perfectly fine.
Recent software changes include installing C++ Redist 2005

Please help!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:10:04 PM by Nitronik »
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB - i5 4440 - 16GB RAM

Heddly

EDIT

Judging by the Steam reviews, I am not the only one having this issue after this update

Hello everyone  :-[

As of the january 2018 update, whenever I launch Wreckfest 64bit and 32bit on Steam,  nothing happens after the "Preparing to launch Wreckfest (January 2018)" steam dialog appears.

My Steam name turns green for a few seconds - as if the game was actually running - but after that nothing happens, and my name goes back to blue.

I am not getting any error messages. The game process never starts up - instead I only instantly get a Windows Error Reporter process, the prompt for which never appears on my desktop

Things I've tried so far :

-Good old PC reboot
-Verifying Cache (all files validated)
-disable_mods startup option
-Launched both 32bit and 64bit Wreckfest
-Deleting save data

No hardware changes on my system. Every build up to this one worked perfectly fine.
Recent software changes include installing C++ Redist 2005

Please help!

Just a thought before I forget, sometimes defragmenting your hard drive would improve game performance.

Zebulon55

i had a similar issue in December, and just set the startup options to always show the setup (-setup in launch options) window and also checked windowed mode.

Mine may have been a driver issue with full screen, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I left it this way, but I have to click play one additional time and alt-enter to toggle full screen. Haven't had further issues.

I toggle out and into fullscreen occasionally while dnf or in the lobby waiting anyway.

it's simple, and maybe worth a try. :)
Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

Nitronik

i had a similar issue in December, and just set the startup options to always show the setup (-setup in launch options) window and also checked windowed mode.

Mine may have been a driver issue with full screen, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I left it this way, but I have to click play one additional time and alt-enter to toggle full screen. Haven't had further issues.

I toggle out and into fullscreen occasionally while dnf or in the lobby waiting anyway.

it's simple, and maybe worth a try. :)

Thanks, I'll give that a try

EDIT

That did not work. I get the same start-up behavior as described in the OP (Nothing pops up, only new process in the Task manager is the windows error reporter, which then shuts down)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:18:40 PM by Nitronik »

Purple44

Hi Nitronik, did you change refresh rate in startup window? Changing it from default can cause game to crash.

Maybe time to try a fresh install?

Quote from: Purple44;355043117530027775
Quote from: treadiculous;355043117529338135
3 recent updates and I still can't play!

I used to have no problems...

now I can get to the garage but when I click 'go race' I get the little 'windows 64 has stopped working' box.

running in 32 has the same issue.

all mods are disabled.

I've uninstalled and re-installed.

I'm running:
i5 ivybridge @310ghz (350ghz)
8gb Ram
Geforce GTX 970

help?

But have you done a true fresh install of Wreckfest?

Do the Steam uninstall of Wreckfest.

Then go to Wreckfest install folder ( make a shortcut to it before doing the uninstall ), Steam\steamapps\common\Bugbear Entertainment and delete the whole \Bugbear Entertainment  folder to make sure there no files left behind. It been posted that the Steam uninstall does not delete everything and these left over files can cause a problem.

Then need to remove the user data generated by the previous game versions by navigating to [STEAM INSTALLATION FOLDER]/userdata/[USER ID]/228380/local and removing or renaming the folder labeled 'wreckfest early access'. The default Steam installation folder is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam'. This get rid of config, career and modlist files.

If rename 'wreckfest early access' folder, then you can copy over your car5.ccrs file and career.cres files once you sure new fresh install working.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Nitronik

I have never changed my refresh rate after the initial setup of the game - which I've done back in July 2017 almost.

My download speed sadly is pretty low, so I was trying to delay a fresh reinstall as much as possible.

The game does not start up at all. I cannot even get to the garage, or any menus for that matter.

Removing the wreckfest early access folder from userdata did not help
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:36:52 PM by Nitronik »

Nitronik

Any more ideas or suggestions? Still stranded here...

The Very End

Well, I had the exact same problem, but turned out something in the OS was the cause, as after I had reset my OS it started working again.

Nitronik

Well, I had the exact same problem, but turned out something in the OS was the cause, as after I had reset my OS it started working again.

Hello there, are you on Windows 10?

Trying to delay a windows reinstall as much as possible due to the amount of sensible data / access to software that could be lost

The Very End

Yeah, I have W10. I used the "reset computer" function. Selected the soft reset, meaning I would have to reinstall Steam and Wreckfest, but things in document folders and so on was kept. It whent pretty fast as well.
Think W7 also has this feature.

If you have programs that are entierly installed on a other partition than the Windows partition (C), then you might not have to re-install them.

Janne Suur-Näkki

You wouldn't happen to have any antivirus running that could block the game?

Nitronik

Disabled both Avira and Defender. So no.

St. Jimmy

We have pretty much came to a conclusion that it's some kind of a Windows issue. The Sneak Peek/Throw a Santa doesn't launch either for him. One thing that's common for them is the start-up launcher so maybe some redist/library isn't anymore working right in his computer anymore? So if you've Janne any idea what it maybe could be, Nitronik would likely be happy to test that out before Windows reset :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:54:51 PM by St. Jimmy »
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Nitronik

I'm afraid it was the same issue The Very End was experiencing.

The game is now starting up after a Windows reset. Huzzah!

Janne Suur-Näkki

Now we will never know what was wrong :) But that's great news!

Impossible to say what was the issue, but sometimes in cases like these a Windows reset is indeed an easier and usually much quicker way to sort it out.