Author Topic: WreckFest crashes when using Logitech Wingman Formula Force  (Read 274 times)

The Glender

ISSUE

This game is awesome! However, I have run across one bug. Everytime I launch the game with my steering wheel, the game crashes as soon as a race starts. I was able to go into the settings, and set my steering and pedal axis, buttons, etc. It just crashes as soon as a race starts.

DESCRIPTION

I have an old Logitech Wingman Formula Force steering wheel. Logitech no longer supports it with Windows 10 x64 drivers, but there is a community of folks that still love this wheel and wrote new drivers based on the Saitek R440 Force Wheel (USB) which can be found here: http://users.on.net/~rardill/blogshare/Logitech_FormulaForce_E-UA2_Windows7-8-10_64bits-signed.zip

Windows 10 shows the device as a Wingman Formula Force, but the game displays it as a Saitek R440 Force Wheel (USB). I understand if you cannot support this setup, however if there is anything I can provide in the way of crash log to help fix this bug, I would be appreciative of the effort.

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO

N/A
CPU: AMD FX 8120 | RAM: 16GB | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Steering Wheel: Logitech Wingman Formula Force

Purple44

I had this same problem with my DFGT wheel and Win10.  GRRR

2. As I mention early, I go and do some benchmarking for this post and I find out my DFGT wheel pedals do not work any more under Win 10!!!  >:(

My pedals were working fine earlier in the day when I had Win 7 loaded, but now the pedals not working under Win 10. I thought it might be the driver Microsoft loaded, so I delete them and go to Logitech web site and download Logitech Gaming Software Win 10, 64bit version and install and still have the same problem.

I go and do the calibration and the steering and buttons work, but when go to part for the pedals, nothing happens. I also notice that it says Driving Force Wheel, not Driving Force GT Wheel. I'm thinking this might be the problem. Windows not seeing my Wheel as a DFGT with pedals.

Lucky for me I got the old Logitech Gaming Software that date 4\2012 that I used for Win 7 and this file has the same name as the one I download from Logitech, just a different date. So I uninstall the new Logitech Gaming Software and install the old Logitech Gaming Software from 2012 and now my DFGT wheel works again!

Here link to the 2012 Logitech Gaming Software I used if anybody need it. Be warned it a compress exe file, so may trigger your anti-virus:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jnvu02qisqrc9po/logitech-gs510_x64+-+2012.exe

Is this Microsoft fault or Logitech?

Also Win10 for some reason come along and updates my gs510 software, screw up my wheel and have to uninstall and reinstall the old gs510 software again.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

The Glender

Unfortunately, that is not the same problem that I am seeing.  My wheel is the Logitech Wingman Formula Force, which is a very old controller.  Logitech refuses to support this device by writing 64bit drivers and as an IT professional, I do not blame them for ending support on a 20 year old device.  However the wheel is very robust and uses a cable drive instead of gears and is a very smooth controller.

There are a few of us "olds" which still love this wheel and therefore modified a Saitek R440 wheel driver to work with the Logitech Wingman Formula Force.  I did try installing the Logitech Forceware that you linked to, however it doesn't work for as it doesn't see any Logitech controllers.
CPU: AMD FX 8120 | RAM: 16GB | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Steering Wheel: Logitech Wingman Formula Force

Purple44

Glender, suggest you give this thread a read, might help you out:

Drive shaft gone?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

The Glender

That link does not apply to my situation.  That link covers the issue with the Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP wheel which looks like this:

My wheel is the older but much better Logitech Wingman Formula Force which looks like this:

With the special Window64bit driver the device shows up as a Wingman Formula Force

However, when you open the settings it displays as the Saitek R440 Force Wheel (USB)

The Glender

I can calibrate the wheel and all the axis works and they show up like this:

I can then set up the controls in the game and they display like this:

I start the game however, and as soon as I touch the wheel, the game crashes as below:

What is interesting however, if I run the 32bit version of Wreckfest, then I see the controls and the game does not crash but the settings revert back to keyboard.  I cannot get them to stay with the wheel.  If I try to remap the configuration of the wheel, in the 32bit bit mode of the game, none of the axis or buttons work.  Weird...

Janne Suur-Näkki

Apparently the 64-bit driver somehow works since the controller is detected but it's buggy (not surprising if it was modified), hence the crash.

I'm afraid there's probably not much we can do to help, for any rate we should have the controller for testing and even so, it's doubtful.