Author Topic: Flatout 2 Cars Take 2  (Read 1657 times)

Halal Meats

Hey everyone,

This is my second attempt to port over cars from Flatout 2 to Wreckfest. The first time I got stuck with issues from this "solidbody" error, and I didn't have a clue how to texture anything. Since it seemed like progress on the game was slow anyway I sort of took a hiatus and gave up.

But wow! Loving the new stuff Bugbear!

Anyways, so far I have all of the files and all of the textures, though I will likely need to convert the textures to the right format. The models are already in the right format, though a few of them are being fussy and not exporting properly. I've gotten a few to work by deleting some unnecessary bits and attempting to export them again, so I am assuming it is a fixable issue for now.

I have the sounds too but I am debating whether I should use them or not, considering NCG has better sounds anyways.

Another issue is that I have no idea what wheels correspond to what cars, since they re-used them in the original game. I hope the textures are numbered the same as the wheels because that would make it a lot easier.

Its probably going to take a very long time to finish this because all of the models import with the parts weirdly inverted, so I have to essentially reassemble the entire model. Take a look at the photo I attached if you are curious. I'm hoping the process speeds up once I have a better idea of what I am doing.

I'll post some updates in here once things are under way!

Purple44

Hi, I'm curious what program you using to model the cars? 3d Max or Blender?

Another issue is that I have no idea what wheels correspond to what cars, since they re-used them in the original game. I hope the textures are numbered the same as the wheels because that would make it a lot easier.

"original game", are you referring to Flatout 2? If so, Heddly might be able help. He done a lot custom cars for Flatout 1 and 2. Has a good understanding of the Flatout cars.

It sure be nice to take some Flatout cars for a spin in Wreckfest. I think you've taken on a big project, wishing you success Halal Meats.  :D

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Halal Meats

I'm using 3Ds Max, but I had to use a different editor to export the cars.

:D

sam223

Take a look at the example car bugbear included in /mods. Itll give you an idea of objects (named correctly) that are required to get any car working in game. Solidbody,collision_spheres,collison_top,brakedisc_fr etc etc
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

guest100380

I have all 45 cars and trucks from FlatOut2 in Z-Modeler format if that will help you out any. From Z-Modeler you can export the cars in 3ds or many other formats. You can get the Z-Mod files here:
http://simracingdepot.us
guest100380, February 12, 2018, 04:46:11 PM Logged

• TT

Hi. Before you spend too much time, you should know that Bugbear doesn't own the rights to the old Flatout cars any more so we probably can't publish Workshop mods with them on Steam.

If you just want to do it for yourself, that's a different story.
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:46:55 PM by TT »

TT

With any car, if parts are backwards, you don't have to re-rotate all of the parts. Just rotate the axes for the parts before you export them into your Wreckfest project. That happens a lot. Zmodeler lets you rotate in 15 degree increments so you don't have to eyeball things perfectly. It just snaps to 15 degree (or some other amount) steps as you turn it. You can see the little colored arrows pointing out from the axis. They show which orientation it is in.

The example car in Wreckfest is the way to go. However, I'm not sure that all of the files for it have been updated for it lately.
    « Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:05:44 PM by TT »

Halal Meats

I find it is easiest to just merge the example car with the original one, at least that is what I did the first time. Maybe that causes issues. I would create it all myself but I don't know how to make the little markers they use for body connections.
    Also remaking all of those collision spheres sounds like a lot of work. I think I just moved them on my first attempt.

I found that just mirroring the parts works find in max, no rotations are really needed. I just have to move them a bit.

I heard they don't own the rights to the cars anymore but I sort of assumed there wouldn't be a big issue with it. I mean, the game was released in 2006. I don't think anyone is making big sums off that game anytime soon. But who knows, maybe I am wrong and they don't want people using those assets.
    I'm going to post the mod in parts anyways so if I notice they are being taken down I'll make a decision from there.

Heddly

Hi, I'm curious what program you using to model the cars? 3d Max or Blender?

"original game", are you referring to Flatout 2? If so, Heddly might be able help. He done a lot custom cars for Flatout 1 and 2. Has a good understanding of the Flatout cars.

It sure be nice to take some Flatout cars for a spin in Wreckfest. I think you've taken on a big project, wishing you success Halal Meats.  :D

Hello Halal Meats, The only program I know of to import thr FlatOut .BGM files is Zmodeler2, It does not do a very good job of exporting .3DS files with all parts with their proper orientation. Your photo is a good example. A better format to export with is .OBJ or rFactor .GMT. 3DSimED may help with exporting to .3DS. I had good results with importing .OBJ into Blender. This link might help explain what I am trying to say.

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,9031.msg87228.html#msg87228

Also I have attached the FO2 rim and tire list to sort out the what car uses what rim and tire number combination that each car uses. Hop this helps.  :)

Rim  Tire class  name
    car 1= 8    ,   4   ,   R   CTR      
    car 2=  1   ,   1   ,   D   Chilli
    car 3=  3   ,   5   ,   R   Boxer
    car 4=  4   ,   5   ,   R   Lancea
    car 5=  2   ,   7   ,   R   Mad Rash
    car 6=  3   ,   2   ,   D   Malice   
    car 7=  3   ,   4   ,   R   Fortune
    car 8=  3   ,   1   ,   D   Banger
    car 9=  19   ,   9   ,   S   SparrowHawk
    car10=  4   ,   8   ,   R   Insetta      
    car11=  12   ,   10   ,   S   Sunray
    car12=  13   ,   8   ,   S   Vexter XS
    car13=  2   ,   2   ,   D   Shaker
    car14=  2   ,   2   ,   D   Splitter
    car15=  13   ,   8   ,   S   Terrator
    car16=  3   ,   4   ,   R   Bullet   
    car17=  7   ,   2   ,   D   SwitchBlade
    car18=  7   ,   2   ,   D   Venom
    car19=  9   ,   6   ,   R   Nevada
    car20=  18   ,   3   ,   D   Blaster XL
    car21=  15   ,   11   ,   S   Crusader
    car22=  5   ,   11   ,   S   Canyon
    car23=  5   ,   3   ,   D   Roamer
    car24=  10   ,   6   ,   R   Lentus
    car25=  12   ,   10   ,   S   Road King
    car26=  2   ,   7   ,   R   Ventura
    car27=  1   ,   8   ,   S   CTR Sport
    car28=  1   ,   8   ,   S   Chili Pepper
    car29=  2   ,   7   ,   S   Bullet GT
    car30=  2   ,   7   ,   S   Scorpion
    car31=  13   ,   8   ,   S   Insetta Sport
    car32=  2   ,   7   ,   S   Speedshifter
    car33=  2   ,   7   ,   R   Daytana
    car34=  7   ,   9   ,   S   SpeedDevil
    car35=  3   ,   4   ,   ST   TrailBlazer
    car36=  10   ,   6   ,   ST   Afterburner
    car37=  2   ,   7   ,   ST   Rocket
    car38=  12   ,   10   ,   ST   StarFlight
    car39=  12   ,   10   ,   ST   Nucleon
    car40=  17   ,   16   ,   B   Pimpster
    car41=  4   ,   16   ,   B   Flatmobile
    car42=  15   ,   11   ,   B   Mobcar
    car43=  6   ,   7   ,   B   SchoolBus
    car44=  12   ,   10   ,   B   Rocket
    car45=  16   ,   16   ,   B   Truck

Halal Meats

Thanks so much for that list!

I used zmodeler2 to import the cars and export them. When I tried to export them as a .OBJ they imported into Max as a single mesh (this is also an import option on Max but even with it unchecked this still happened) so I exported them as a .3DS . Last time I tried this with the CTR this didn't happen but I don't remember what I did the first time. It's easy enough to adjust the parts so I'll just stick to that for now. I'm not really familiar with the other formats you listed but I can check if Max can import them. 

Heddly

Thanks so much for that list!

I used zmodeler2 to import the cars and export them. When I tried to export them as a .OBJ they imported into Max as a single mesh (this is also an import option on Max but even with it unchecked this still happened) so I exported them as a .3DS . Last time I tried this with the CTR this didn't happen but I don't remember what I did the first time. It's easy enough to adjust the parts so I'll just stick to that for now. I'm not really familiar with the other formats you listed but I can check if Max can import them.

The .OBJ exporter has options, one of which is "Split by materials", that is what I used.

Halal Meats

I've run into a weird issue with build_asset now, it keeps telling me it "can't find the surface physics file". I don't remember running into this last time. Its not the model that's the issue, it wont do anything with the example either.

I moved the mod folder (not the entire "mods" folder) to the tools folder so I could use the tool. I have no idea if that is the right way to use this.

I attached an image of the error. If you know anything about this error, I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Halal Meats

I just moved the tools into the mods folder and it worked.

Halal Meats

Here is an update on my progress so far...

I have the model of the Flatmobile sort-of in without any textures. I'm still finding out what the game needs from the model and what it doesn't. If anyone has a list of what is linked that would be great, I've been having some bad crashes because the game "Could not find parent object X to object Y". bgeometry doesn't seem to pick up missing parts. So I have found that parts of the exhaust are linked and from what I can tell parts of the windows are linked too. Also, the trunklid is mandatory, but I can just hide that in the body.

sam223

The minimum object requirements are;
    body (origin at 0,0,0) ("body#car_body" material)
    solidbody (origin at center of mass)
    brakedisc_fr/fl/rr/rl ("#car_metal_nodeform" material) (origin at center of mass)
    collision_top (CollisionModel = true) (origin at center of mass)
    collision_bottom (CollisionModel = true) (origin at center of mass)

Make sure you xform reset everything.
    All texture must be assigned as .tga in max/blender and located within chassis/art and converted to game format from within /chassis/art.

Optional model details;
    Proxy deform zones plus corresponding deform files
    Lods
    Dummy joints plus addition parts added to corresponding .panl
    Damage sectors
    Emitters
    Collision spheres (CollisionModel = true)
    tire_fl/fr/rr/rl ("#car_rim" "#car_tire" materials)
    steering_wheel_hi
    driver

The minimum game requirements are;
    Chassis root file
    Camera file
    Art folder (containing model/textures)
    Deform folder
    Menu Folder
    Parts folder including all the parts bugear has in /shared (containing at least 1 of every part linked to either chassis or engine(engine parts))
    Panel folder (containing a .panl file named after every object on the model).Attach grille to hood etc,control hinges (you need joint dummy on model for these) and drop off here
    Career folder (containing chassis assembly from all you parts files)

Optional requirement;
    Audio folder containing sound banks and sound reference files
    AI folder
    light.clgs
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:34:16 AM by sam223 »
    Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
    Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2