Author Topic: Alt+Tab crashes the game  (Read 465 times)

Gugus

ISSUE

Since January 2018 update, Alt+Tab crashes the game.

DESCRIPTION

It's all in the title.
The screen goes full black during some seconds (around 3~5 seconds), then I can see windows desktop with a window telling me the game crashed.

It's very annoying since I cannot go to my dedicated server console anymore from within the game :(

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO

Imagine a black screen. Full black. Close your eyes. You have spotted it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:22:31 AM by Gugus »
W10 - Intel Core i5
nVidia 2x GTX-770 SLI
Triple screen setup @5720x1080
G25 wheel + AP electrix brake mod

St. Jimmy

Happens everytime everywhere for you? Or just in multiplayer only or something like that?
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Janne Suur-Näkki

Please use the windowed mode (there's also borderless) if you need to switch tasks.

DD-Indeed

Please use the windowed mode (there's also borderless) if you need to switch tasks.

You should put it to the borderless mode by default, since if the game freezes, you can't get the task manager up to kill it off, as the game ''steals'' the screen on fullscreen mode and keeps itself on top of everything. Had to boot the whole computer multiple times because of that, if I forgot to change to the borderless mode.

The Very End

Pro tip: Always have a notepad open with some random text in it, then you can just chose to log off (as you allways get the windows bar open even if game is freezed). When logging off the notepad will trigger a "will you save this" message, that somehow does go on top of the Wreckfest window. You then push cancel to stop the log-out, and your game is now closed :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:19:06 AM by The Very End »

DD-Indeed

Pro tip: Always have a notepad open with some random text in it, then you can just chose to log off (as you allways get the windows bar open even if game is freezed). When logging off the notepad will trigger a "will you save this" message, that somehow does go on top of the Wreckfest window. You then push cancel to stop the log-out, and your game is now closed :)

Never thought of that, thanks. :) But of course, having the game working well is more important obviosly.  ;)

Tonza

dont crash for me from alt-tabbing. playing on fullscreen. am on win7
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:16:09 PM by Tonza »

Gugus

Hi all !

Happens everytime everywhere for you? Or just in multiplayer only or something like that?

This doesn’t matter, it happens either from title menu, or from multiplayer game, or anywhere in the game.

dont crash for me from alt-tabbing. playing on fullscreen. am on win7

Under w10, it worked perfectly prior the january update.
I’m hosting a dedicated server on the same machine, so I often alt-tab-switched to it from within the game to manage my server,
then going back to the game without problems.

Ok, thanks for the tip !
However, do we agree this is not a solution, just a workaround ? almost all other games I have manage perfectly well alt+tab without going to windowed mode.
anyway, it seems that windowed mode works without any drop in my FPS, that’s good for me. Thank you very much for your reactivity, and long live to bugbear :)
W10 - Intel Core i5
nVidia 2x GTX-770 SLI
Triple screen setup @5720x1080
G25 wheel + AP electrix brake mod