Author Topic: Should losing parts increase PP? Weight as a game mechanic?  (Read 478 times)

RickyB

When customizing our cars with bumpers and protectors for better strength we increase the weight of the car. That reduces speed / acceleration / cornering etc. Performace Points (PP) decrease. What once was a A320 is now a A295 for example.

Here's an idea, but I don't know if the game-code allows a change of PP on the fly during the race. It allows for mechanical damage, so it probably should be possible? Does the game take weight change during the race into account?

What if by losing parts during the race, the Performance Points would increase again so that you would have slightly better acceleration / top speed?

For example - we lost our bumper, so we lost weight. Less weight would normally result in better speed/acceleration, right?. Would we not have put on that weight before the race we would have startet with a A300 instead of a A295. But the race results say A295, as if we still had that bumper. Same would apply to losing doors or hood.

In formula 1 for example, I think the cars race faster laps after they lost some weight by using their fuel. (not only ofc, but also)

On the other hand of course, during a crash you also get a disadvantage because of mechanical damage which would probably decrease the PP again? So does the mechanical damage completely balance out or counter any theoretical speed/acceleration advantage from weight loss? Idk, sounds almost a bit too convenient ;)

I can imagine it could be an interesting game-mechanic to gain PP (=better acceleration / top speed) by losing parts / weight during the race. 8) When you crash you lose time and positions, but if you lost a heavy part like a door or a protector in the crash you would maybe be able to accelerate better or gain better top speed(?)

Or does the game already do that and I just didn't notice?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:56:07 PM by RickyB »

Tonza

I honestly don't think we need this sort complicated stuff in wreckfest

RickyB

Not sure what's complicated about it, but let's simplify it then. Let's get rid of the "loosing PP by mechanical damage" aspect; was more like thinking out loud anyway.

What's left is what we already have in the game, but only in the garage. Put on weight > lose PP. (slower top speed, less acceleration). Lose weight > gain PP.
Isn't it only logical to gain back the PP when you lose the weight again even during the race? Why is it happening only in the garage, but not during the race?
Wouldn't it be a more consistent gameplay mechanic if it was not only happening in the garage? It would actually make more sense to me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:51:00 PM by RickyB »

sam223

Sounds like a headache for server to manage. Checking weight of cars constantly to determine whether or not someone is cheating the maximum potential speed, 50 ish or more parts per player to check.

Currently visual part loss is client side only, you lose a door, only you might see it lost so that would need changing also. Otherwise you'd have complaints about someone being faster than others,because on their screen all the .panl's had fallen off in a laggy crash.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:07:03 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

RickyB

Checking weight of cars constantly to determine whether or not someone is cheating the maximum potential speed

I'm no server expert, but why would the server have to do that? You lose a part, server gets new weight (you send it once). No need for server to constantly check. How could you cheat when we have the anti-cheat system already implemented?

Maybe reducing it to only a few parts that would actually influence your PP as it is in the garage could work. Not every single screw :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:35:38 PM by RickyB »

Tonza

That what I meant by complicated what sam said. No need to have servers work extra for such vanity thing when already server often spikes when people join and leave

RickyB

That's just speculation, there's no proof that it would be problematic with servers. Mechanical damage and health work fine online, but a few weight changes would cause trouble? That seems very unlikely. But even it did, at least a gamemode for singleplayer should be no problem.

sam223

For sure is speculation,but with so many variables (of what can and cannot be lost) i don't think it would be safe to just let client update server on current status of weight. As you'd have inconsistencies between laggers (who will lose parts faster) and those with good ping who will see car as untouched.

Other things to consider are protection sectors. These are in the parts file,affect the whole car and are not tied to .panl (where you control how things fall off).  Currently you fit a bumper which adds strength along 1 axis,it also adds weight. Lets say you lose that bumper on turn 1 visually. Do you then lose you sector protection also? how would that work when the files are separated.

You can add sector protection/weight without adding anything visually currently.

Would be good addition for maybe next bugbear game,lots of details like this could be expanded imo, but maybe time is not on their side now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:58:04 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

LordBhorak

I would let the experts (ie. Bugbear coders) decide what is hard and what is not for the server and not use that as an argument to "shun" an idea. The idea sounds great imo...

So it's not up to us to decide what can and cannot be done.
CPU: Intel i5-6600k 3,5GHz @ 4,5GHz - CPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980Ti 6Gb Windforce - RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2333MHz DDR4 2x8Gb - Mobo: ASUS Z170-a