Author Topic: Flatout 2 Cars Take 2  (Read 1133 times)

Halal Meats

Thanks for the list, that is very useful!

Halal Meats

How are you supposed to deal with solidbody and the collision spheres? I tried to make my own solidbody and it said the solidbody is supposed to be a "single batch". I have no clue what that means. Then I tried to make the solidbody a square and it didn't say there was a solidbody at all.
I set the material to the same as the one on the original solidbody both times.

So then I tried to just move their collision spheres and change the shape of the solidbody but I got some pretty wacky results from that. Everything bent into very sharp shapes, and the textures started to have some crazy shadow.

Do I need more collision spheres? Less? Is there something special you need to do make a 'solidbody'?

Thanks!

Heddly

Topic: How to adjust deformation?

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php?topic=9213.0

Ive found that the solid body has to cover the body. Anything outside will deform weirdly. The collision spheres control the actual vert movement so you need them covering most of the collision points (front/rear/doors/roof).But you can have smaller ones in places like the bonnet back/A pillars so the bonnet folds up rather than whole front end rising.

The amount of movement allowed per hit is controlled by deformscales.dfsc (global settings). Ive found each curve in this file just needs increasing (so the maximum is 10) to remove the 'maximum potential damage'.
Mechanical i.e steering/tire damage is caused by the position of the damage sectors on the model,damage_sectors.dmsd,settings.vsbd,tire_damaged.vstd.

sam223

Topic: How to adjust deformation?

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php?topic=9213.0

Ive found that the solid body has to cover the body. Anything outside will deform weirdly. The collision spheres control the actual vert movement so you need them covering most of the collision points (front/rear/doors/roof).But you can have smaller ones in places like the bonnet back/A pillars so the bonnet folds up rather than whole front end rising.

The amount of movement allowed per hit is controlled by deformscales.dfsc (global settings). Ive found each curve in this file just needs increasing (so the maximum is 10) to remove the 'maximum potential damage'.
Mechanical i.e steering/tire damage is caused by the position of the damage sectors on the model,damage_sectors.dmsd,settings.vsbd,tire_damaged.vstd.

Wow that was some time ago heddly. If its deforming like a sea anemone then this, 'the solid body has to cover the body. Anything outside will deform weirdly' is the problem most likely. Also check position,make sure origin is set correctly (pivot point in 3dsm i think)
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Halal Meats

I think the deform might be weird because of where I put the collision spheres, I edited the solidbody to cover the body and it seems to have made the body deform better, but things like the fenders and the engine are still deforming pretty poorly.

I think I either have too many collision spheres or they are not in the right places. Either way, deforming for this car will be hard because I have been trying to get it to break 300 mph (it is the flatmobile, after all), so I have to get the deform pretty good otherwise it will be weird. Right now it tops out at 243 but I stopped messing with those files because I thought it would be better to focus on getting the model fully in the game first.

Right now I have 3 other problems I am trying to solve.

1. Sometimes the steering locks up above 175 mph.
I noticed this on one of the tracks in The Very Track Pack (The biggest oval one, I don't remember the name). There are some collision noises that I thought might be the body hitting the ground but I never really figured it out. I don't get fast enough on the other tracks to see if it still happens there.

2. The ride height wont change anymore.
If I change the ride height in the suspension part file it doesn't change anything. The car is sitting higher than it should be. I think this happened after I changed the solidbody but I am not completely sure.

3. Flappy wheels after collisions... (again)
Same problem I had with the CTR's wheels before. It wasn't as bad with low speed collisions but with high speed collisions the wheels start rotating around an invisible axis. I reset Xform and reset the pivot to the center but nothing changed. My only guess is that the tire size in "tires/stock_(front/rear).vtif" is not correct (I haven't changed it). Also, I renamed the wheel hubs from the original model to be the brake discs, but they float outside the car for some reason. I had this problem before but I don't remember what I did to fix it.

I'll but troubleshooting these but if you know about these issues and could offer some help that would be great!

Halal Meats

I messed with the collision spheres a bit and the deform is much better, but the driver still deforms more then they should...

I fixed the wheelhub issue by just removing them, I never could figure out why they wouldn't stay in place. I tried to fix the flapping wheels by deleting the tire_#dam1 objects thinking it was some issue related to what the car does with the wheels when it deforms but no luck.

sam223

Wow lots of questions.
1) i dunno if you are going to be able to get the cars upto those sorts of speeds without lots of physics editing including global physics for surfaces etc
2)press \ in game to bring up dev tools. Turn visibility on for everything. Probably solid body (clusters) is dragging on the floor and not aligned with the actual model because you have pivot points (origin) of objects setup wrong.
3).vtif physics will need to match your wheel model size or youll get floating/sinking wheels. Not sure what causes flappy wheels though.

What do you mean driver deforms more than they should? The whole car deforms the same unless you setup proxy boxes (which dont always work),set #no_deform (material) or setup a 'part' with sector protection.
tire_#dam1 objects are models which are swapped with normal wheels models after 'x' amount of damage (there are options for how much also). Visual only (optional).

Post screenshots,sometimes easier to understand a problem that way
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:46:30 AM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Halal Meats

Based on this deformation I think I might lower the speed a bit... The attached images were after a 160 mph-ish dragging collision with the side wall. The front is deforming more than I want at the moment, and the panels are deforming like crazy (particularly the fenders and the hood). I do have proxy boxes, I'll trying messing with them or removing them and see how that affects the deform.

I'll try changing the size in the .vtif and see if that fixes my wheels.

sam223

There are a few different ways you could fix the deformations. Depends how you want it to play really.

Do you want car to be stiffer? so 100mph causes small dent and 300mph causes big wreck - adjust impact max movement curve in deform/settings_normal and settings_real
Do you want car to bend less on front than rear? so 150mph into wall causes small dent but 150mph into rear destroys car - pick any /part,under sector protection change sector to front and adjust damage scale
Do you want car to bend same as vanilla game but not turn into tin can? - set proxy boxes in max to cover collisions_spheres of the 'zone' you want to protect, then locate /deform/.vsbp for corresponding proxy model object and adjust setting 1=solid (wont deform)

Check you in game positioning with '\' dev tools first as if one thing in wrong place can mess up all calculations.

Halal Meats

Just as a quick update...

I got busy so I had to stop working on any of this for a while, but I am back to working on it now.

The deform is working a lot better. Its a bit stiff right now but I'd rather it be stiff than what it was before... I was able to minimize the wheel flapping by changing all of the wheel deform mins&maxes to zero. If you fly into the wall sideways at 130-ish it still happens but it isn't nearly as bad. I also decreased the speed a bunch but it is still by far the fastest car in the game.

I tried some texturing but wow they have a complicated system here. My texture shows up every now and again at certain angles but keeps flashing back to pink. Not really sure where to start with all of those different files but I am sure there is a post somewhere here on it.