Author Topic: Working on blue smoke mod - but problem with car coordinates  (Read 593 times)

FalconXY

I have tried to work on a mod for blue engine smoke coming from the exhaust when the engine gets damaged.

Several hours I have tried with trial and error to find out what each setting will change in the smoke effect.
I have tweaked the /effects/car/health/.../damagedX_smoke_slow for each engine damage state (X=1 to 3).

It's working but I ran into a severe problem. Because there is no exhaust fume in the game I have to use the "Local Position" setting to get smoke to be displayed at the rear of the car (orange Volvo).

But on some cars the X,Y,Z positions seem to be mixed up or other way around.
See screenshots.
The smoke is coming out in front and higher than it should be for these cars:

HotShot, Rammer and Starbeast.
On the Warwagon the smoke is under the middle of the car.

Is there a way to fix this please ?

Why don't all cars have matching coordinates ?
Where can I correct the coordinates ?
Where is the 0 coordinate on each car model (X=0,Y=0,Z=0)?

Maybe a dev or car modder can give me a hint please.  :)
Thank you very much.
Intel i7-3770, 8GB RAM, ATI R9 390X 8GB, Win10 64bit, G27 wheel

FalconXY

Settings

FalconXY

Well, no huge progress on here.  ::)

On the mod/example folder I have found the developer hint on the exhaust fire in blue.  :) Maybe it was there since ever.

I had fiddled around with these fire1 to fire4 before I found it in mod/example but that gave me not such a good result than my first attempt with modifying the engine smoke/fire effect.

The second problem with that is, the blue smoke pops up even if the car is 100%. OK, it does not pop up often.
And a lot more often when the engine gets damaged.

I could live with that but the AI cars don't pop up smoke from the exhaust position. Only sometimes on a big crash and when they are really damaged. Overall not the same behavior than my car. I don't know why.

And I prefer not to have a local position for the emitter because then the smoke can freely move around behind the car.
With a fixed position it's bound to the cars direction changes and that looks strange sometimes. Especially on Fig8 with jumps.

The easiest would be that the devs would correct the dummy orientation for the engine on all cars so they would be all in the same XYZ direction and not mixed up or upside down.
I think the effect dummys in the body.vhcl were just placed there without care of it's orientation.

Thank you very much.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:23:00 PM by FalconXY »

sam223

Gotta have a local position for the emitter as every car is a different length/width/height and the difference between exhaust position in relation to the center (origin) of the car model. If you want just a global position,then every single car in game would have to have identical exhaust system (not possible).
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

FalconXY

Yes ok local position is needed. But you can turn on/off the flags on top for it and it will have different apperance.

One time it moved with the car (so it will move along one axis). The other way it's appearing more natural when smoke leaves a moving car.

I think I have to do some videos to explain that. :)

sam223

Yes ok local position is needed. But you can turn on/off the flags on top for it and it will have different apperance.

One time it moved with the car (so it will move along one axis). The other way it's appearing more natural when smoke leaves a moving car.

I think I have to do some videos to explain that. :)

Talk in discord,it is easier :)
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

FalconXY

Here is a video showing the different engine fail states (yellow, orange, red) that produces blue smoke (correct on the Bulldog).
First it's off, then it gets denser with each state. The amount is just a test and can be adjusted.

This is only engine smoke exchanged. Not the exhaust fire mod.