Author Topic: Track design philosophy  (Read 836 times)

Don Carnage

While Wreckfest is by no means boring, I gotta say it doesnt stack up to my favorite racing game, which is Flatout 2. The main difference for me is track design. Flatout 2 had a lot more crazy stuff in it, leading the race across building sites, factories, backyards, rickety bridges and so on full of stuff to crash - and strategically crashing stuff was actually a huge part of winning because it gave you boost power.
While I came to terms with the lack of boost mechanic in Wreckfest, I´m still disappointed by the racing tracks. It seems so much potential of the engine goes to waste because the tracks don´t have any strategic destruction elements on them. All the stuff you actually wreck is just decoration and the side and doesnt change how the map is played. If you had lots of big structures you could collapse, even without the boost mechanic, you could reap various benefits from this risky behavior, such as unlocking shortcuts or littering the track behind you for your opponents, It would also prevent races from becoming stale after you got the lead, as all the clutter on the track forces you to keep on your toes. We know the engine is easily capable of this, the tech demo proved that point years ago. Now we only need some creative tracks that crumble around you as you go to actually honor the name "Wreckfest".

And the thing is, you don´t have to take the traditional racing tracks out for that. They could easily coexist, so if you´re more into folk racing, there´s your sand pit inverted nr. 2, while for others like me, there is that race track through a construction site and over a football field and the backyard of a church.

I´m still not 100% where this game is headed, but when I backed it way back in the day, what I hoped for was all around car-based destruction - and I think the game can still reach this vision without compromising what it already offers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:02:46 PM by Don Carnage »
Mit viel Oktan und frei von Blei

Heddly

I still miss the FlatOut Series of game and still have them installed for a late night booty call, LOL

vveyro

Well I wouldn't mind a bit crazier tracks, as long as no "Drive through a barn, to earn power-ups". That's too far, doesn't fit the more realistic style of this game. As long as it looks like a somewhat logical track that doesn't have buildings directly on track, some future tracks (that I hope will happen) could be a bit crazier.

Like some more severe ramps structures like those on derby arenas, or sections like Crash Canyon has but in normal tracks. Also "free" routes are OK way to create more chaos. Or a ramp before fig-8 style crossing, so that for example left side of road has ramp, right doesn't. So you could make a risky jump over the sideways traffic, or use the other side to go through the traditional way. Or two side-by-side lanes in the style of Crash Canyon (that go in the same way, on a normal track), but the other one being so much lower, that you can make a risky drop down to the lower one, but not climb back up to the higher one.

But no stuff like FO3, driving through someones greenhouses etc... No track would be built to go through someones greenhouses. That's just nonsense, doesn't fit the more realistic tone of Wreckfest
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:39:13 PM by vveyro »

TheEngiGuy

And the thing is, you don´t have to take the traditional racing tracks out for that. They could easily coexist, so if you´re more into folk racing, there´s your sand pit inverted nr. 2, while for others like me, there is that race track through a construction site and over a football field and the backyard of a church.

To be frank, having such different things in a single game could mess with the identity and general direction of the title (the Yakuza series is a perfect example of what I'm saying). While most games like Flatout 2 are focused on the crash'em up element set in different areas of the world, Wreckfest is focused on real motorsport with strategical gameplay in mind. Only thing they share in common is vehicular combat.

For all the craziness I'd rather let the devs leave it for Stuntfest, expanding it even more with their creativity turned to max level without restrictions from real-world references. I just hope it will not be overlooked because it could become the perfect playground for arcade crash'em up fans since that's its main focus.

Purple44

But no stuff like FO3, driving through someones greenhouses etc... No track would be built to go through someones greenhouses. That's just nonsense, doesn't fit the more realistic tone of Wreckfest

Then you did not play Flatout 2? There were greenhouses to crash through in Flatout 2 on the Farmlands 3 track.

If going to have a racing game with nitro, got have all kinds stuff to race through. :P

Because Wreckfest has no nitro, then there was not much need have destructible stuff off to side of track.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:25:28 AM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

vveyro

Well, seems I'm mixing Flatout games now. But anyway, Wreckfest has a quite realistic tone, so the tracks can be a bit crazier than current... but there's imo limit.

Anyway, really really really hope we see some new tracks further down the line. Free DLC would be better so it doesn't split the (already not largest) online community. Or so that paid DLC tracks can be played online without buying them, but you can't host a server or play against AI with them, unless you buy it. Kind of similarly what Payday 2 does.

Same can be applied to DLC cars. Can join servers with DLC cars without owning it, but not drive it. As long as the DLC cars aren't overpowered (pay to win), it works
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:01:58 PM by vveyro »

Speedevil

Something they could do is add more tracks for the console release and release them on PC for free.
I don't think the game is 100% complete now, the Beetle (well, without another car underneath it) is still missing.

Purple44

Ya, we still waiting for Mixed 6 track to get release. I thought we see track in final release, but seem Bugbear was to busy getting Wreckfest ready for final release, to add this track. 

Zebulon55

Maybe Bugbear could come up with some kind of track that has a shortcut through some interesting, risky area, but more likely it'll be up to modders to make tracks like that.

Strategic destruction would be great, but not with this game. Solid objects that fall onto the track would not be seen by the AI, and with up to 24 players to track, other objects are not tracked by the server, so the object you push into the traffic area might not be in the same place for other online players.
In earlier builds, I used to move trackside pickup trucks into traffic, but it wouldn't be in the same place for others online, so they might hit something invisible on track. I used to like to set off explosives also, but Bugbear removed the explosives because the debris created invisible obstacles on track, and people thought it was a bug in the game.  :'(

Personally, I'd like a game that includes something like the old Whiplash/Fatal Racing game's tracks, what I call "stunt racing", with corkscrew jumps, opening bascule bridges,
rising and falling sections of track, loops and risky shortcuts as part of the race circuit.
Actually, a game with tracks like Flatout2, Whiplash, and Demolition Racer would be great. Maybe such a game will come along one day soon.
Gas Guzzlers Extreme had some fun tracks too, and it seems Gas Guzzlers Extreme 2 is in early planning stages. That should be a fun game.  8)

I think Stuntfest is going to be more like timed events - like the mini games from Flatout. We'll have to wait to see what they come up with for that game.

Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

vveyro

Ya, we still waiting for Mixed 6 track to get release.
Interesting. Is there any teaser material of this, like image or have devs mentioned it is still in the works? Mixed tracks are some of most interesting imo. Really hyped for any and all new content, Wreckfest has quickly become one of my fav driving games of all time (and we're speaking 3 decades here :P)

Purple44

First clue, we went from Mixed 5 track to Mixed 7 track. What happen to Mixed 6?

Second, there a text file that mention Mixed 6.   ;)

The Very End

It might just a case of them having a test track with is Mixed 6 or not wanting to restructure things. Renaming and restructuring everything just so that the game files tells there are 6 instead of 7 mixed tracks might not be the top priority as most people won't notice it.

That said, could be a track - who knows ;)