Author Topic: March Update 3  (Read 13001 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Howdy Wreckers,

We hope everyone is doing great this fine evening! Even if your evening happens to be all doom and gloom, fret not – it's just about to take a turn for better because we're happy to let you know that the latest update for Wreckfest is now out!

This time we have quite a lot of nice surprises in store for you. First of all, there's the new weather system! Thanks to it, not only each track now has Sunrise, Noon, Afternoon and Sunset weathers but also that they are unique to each track – in other words, a sunset at, say, Mixed 5 will look different to a sunset at Speedway 2. The weathers are still being tweaked but we feel like they already yield a very welcome variation to our environments.

Secondly, and this is something that many have been looking forward, some of the cars now have more customization parts with more coming soon! These mostly include hoods, grilles, spoilers, fender flares and similar parts that you can use to make your car unique. Other than that, we have some new demolition derby and banger racing inspired paintjobs for the cars, and the AI controlled cars now know to dress appropriately for the occasion, meaning that in for example a demolition derby they will use the derby paintjob. Oh, and textured rims are also finally in.

Moving over to the gameplay side of things, as you know we've been tweaking the gameplay damage in the last couple of updates. The response so far has been a mixed bag, with some of you enjoying the thrill of wrecking other cars and possibly getting wrecked yourself, while many have voiced a concern that the relatively high punishment from light nudges ("love taps", as the community affectionately calls them) takes away the fun especially in multiplayer environment. So, in a bid to preserve what was good in the new damage system we went in and did some tweaking: now minor scuffing no longer causes any gameplay damage (the body panels will still visually get damaged, though) while major hits still cause significant one-time damage. Inconsistent damage was also a major frustration to many (the damage received from visually similar looking crashes was all over the place) so we rewrote parts of the damage tracker to make it robust.

Additionally, this update contains a healthy dose of other improvements like Realistic Damage in Career, new Post-Race, Loading and Server Browser screens, improved lawnmower gameplay, more spectacular crashes, custom Demolition Derby and Banger Racing AI Sets and of course a host of bug fixes to a number of minor and major issues. You can read all about those below while the update is downloading, but once it's done, launch the game and take a look at yourself!

Enjoy the update, and don't forget to let us know your thoughts about it!

CONTENT
  • New weather system with environment specific weathers and expanded variation: unique Sunrise, Noon, Afternoon and Sunset TODs for each event.
  • Increased skybox quality.
  • Added a set of new visual customization parts like spoilers, hoods, grilles and fenders for a number of cars.
  • Added textured wheel upgrades for all cars.
  • Added new banger/derby style liveries for both player and AI controlled cars.
  • Added Demolition Derby and Banger Racing AI Sets for Custom Events.
  • Fixed RoadSlayer missing audio in cockpit, bumper and hood cameras.
  • Fixed Rocket AI car assembly so that it now appears correctly in events.
  • Roadcutter window bar upgrades are now named correctly.
  • Killerbee roll cages are now named correctly.
  • Improved environment art and fixed bugs on various tracks.
GAMEPLAY
  • AI cars now automatically use a matching banger/derby or racing style livery in appropriate game modes and career events.
  • AI cars now slide around somewhat more.
  • AI cars are now more aggressive towards each other and the player (work-in-progress).
  • Derby AI now favors the center more to prevent them from packing to the sides.
  • Tweaked collision matrix lightly to make crashes feel more rewarding.
  • Demolition Derby events now yield more credits as a reward.
  • In Last Man Standing, the contact timer is now 30 seconds (shown when 15 seconds left) to prevent sandbagging.
  • Improved lawnmower physics to improve the gameplay.
  • Ragdoll is now ejected correctly when crashing to the static environment hard enough.
  • It's now easier to roll over an opponent by hitting the AI piloted lawnmower to the side.
  • Wrecking an AI lawnmower and ejecting the pilot now works as designed when hitting the AI with higher momentum.
  • Takedowns now register correctly even if the victim hits a static object right after being wrecked, or in the case of lawnmowers, the ground.
  • Improved damage tracker for more consistent gameplay damage and prevent from being penalized from the same hit many times depending on the duration of the collision; in practice this means that for example being pushed sideways by other cars no longer results in massive damage and death. With Normal Damage, minor scuffing no longer causes any gameplay damage (the body panels will still visually get light damage though), while major hits cause significant one-time damage with hitter receiving less damage (but still some); with Realistic Damage, both visual and gameplay damage is increased, mechanical damage kicks in earlier and hitter has no artificial advantage whatsoever (note that hitter will still have a natural advantage in case of a higher mass and speed).
  • Tweaked front-wheel-drive cars to be less overpowering, now more or less match the lap times of RWD cars with similar performance points.
CAREER
  • The career starting car is now Rocket.
  • Embarking on a new series while another one is in progress (not completed) now resets the progress of the in-progress series instead of marking it as completed.
  • Rival challenge is now kept active through the whole event instead of ending with the first successful bump.
  • Realistic Damage is now available in the career in the new Options tab in the Next Race screen, yielding an experience bonus.
  • Rammer RS can now be only obtained as a reward from the career event "Ramming it Down".
  • In multi-heat demolition derby events, player is now disqualified properly according to the series rules.
USER INTERFACE
  • Implemented new Post-Race, Loading and Server Browser screens.
  • Quitting an event now takes the player to the results screen so that replay is available even when quitting.
  • In Settings/Advanced menu, Sensitivity and Speed Sensitivity help texts are no longer reversed.
TECHNICAL
  • MP: Fixed a fatal crash related to the effect system.
  • In Custom Event, AI Set now gets correctly reset after clearing user data.
  • A prospective fix for the car getting rocketed to sky after crossing the finish line.
  • A prospective fix for the car glitching when changing parts or adjusting tuning setup.
  • Various other bug fixes.
LOCALIZATION
  • Updated new and changed strings.
KNOWN ISSUES
  • New weather system is not yet supported by the career.
NOTES FOR CONTENT CREATORS
  • The weather system now uses an event specific weather list configured in the event's evse bag data file so you can have different weathers available for each event.
  • Any custom content modifying gameplay damage is thrown out of whack due to the new damage tracker.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:02:26 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »

The Very End

A lot of goodies! Thanks :D

PsychOXRat

Janne, I've had a look at the FWD "fix" if you can even call it that. You've given FWD cars a specific tyre profile that has exactly 90% of the grip available to RWD cars. Unfortunately, I wasn't surprised by this, more disappointed and annoyed that instead of taking the time to fix the actual issue, being the physics and differentials, I'll reiterate that FWD cars are NOT fastest with a locked diff, you instead done a 20 second botch job that anyone could have done. Did it really take you multiple updates and hotfixes to decide "Hey, take the normal value and multiply it by 0.9, that's a definite fix to our totally not flawed physics". If this is how you address issues with NCG, no wonder the same bugs from years ago are still around today.
At this point I think you've killed the game, you've just shown us you aren't willing to properly address issues.

Hate me for this post if you want, but man have I just gotten too annoyed by this to let you get away with a light "hey, I don't like how you've done this" post.
System Specs: Intel i7-7700K CPU, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX970 from GALAX

The Very End

To be fair, it's an minority of the community that actually is angry about the FWD problematic. Most people play it for the fun aspect of it. That said, it's a problem.
I think most fixes done by companies are whatever "works", it's just that you can see the difference now. Might be a code horror that prevents more delicate solutions, which we will never know unless we dvelve into the code mass.

Edit: And YEEEEEEEEEEEES! Finally! Now the collisions have more fun to them! Playing derby with cars flipping everywhere, spins, and that general fun-factor over it. Thanks for heading into that direction again!! :D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:45:21 PM by The Very End »

Tonza

Bugbear you keeping me up late between weekdays  ;)

Tonza

Janne, I've had a look at the FWD "fix" if you can even call it that. You've given FWD cars a specific tyre profile that has exactly 90% of the grip available to RWD cars. Unfortunately, I wasn't surprised by this, more disappointed and annoyed that instead of taking the time to fix the actual issue, being the physics and differentials, I'll reiterate that FWD cars are NOT fastest with a locked diff, you instead done a 20 second botch job that anyone could have done. Did it really take you multiple updates and hotfixes to decide "Hey, take the normal value and multiply it by 0.9, that's a definite fix to our totally not flawed physics". If this is how you address issues with NCG, no wonder the same bugs from years ago are still around today.
At this point I think you've killed the game, you've just shown us you aren't willing to properly address issues.

Hate me for this post if you want, but man have I just gotten too annoyed by this to let you get away with a light "hey, I don't like how you've done this" post.
ehh it's only really a "problem" in clean racing
both the current fwd cars are weak and they don't exactly handle well a slight kiss to the cheek from big hunk of american metal  8) (or metal from anywhere around the world for that matter)
also have you tried the update yet? it just came out, and you here judging so hard

PsychOXRat

To be fair, it's an minority of the community that actually is angry about the FWD problematic. Most people play it for the fun aspect of it. That said, it's a problem.
I think most fixes done by companies are whatever "works", it's just that you can see the difference now. Might be a code horror that prevents more delicate solutions, which we will never know unless we dvelve into the code mass.

the problem is that this "fix" has gone against what Janne's been saying to us, that he wants all cars to use the same tyre profile. He also said to me that he thought it was a mix of diff and suspension setup causing this. He also said in that same PM convo that he didn't want to use a botch job like they've just implemented. Now do you see why I'm annoyed by this. Being told multiple times they don't want to do this, only to turn around and do just that.

Edit: in that same PM I did mention about tyre profiles beforehand, but I was thinking of a more in depth change than "multiply grip by 0.9"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:17:36 PM by PsychOXRat »

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for sharing private conversation, that's pretty low.

In any case the very simple reason is that it gets the job done and it was the least volatile solution given the time and resources we have, seeing as we have to prioritize.

BrianUK

Rat, I agree with Janne, it's not right that you leak private conversations. You found out what the real adjustment was under the bonnet, so what you should have done is discussed privately with Janne in a proper manner.

As I said to you in Discord, what you have done is wreck your own argument with an attempt to discredit Janne. He certainly won't talk to you now, so all you've done is close off avenues of discussion for yourself.

PsychOXRat

Sorry Janne, if you want me to remove it I will, but I had to do something to prompt a response since on multiple other occasions, me trying to get a response on this forum has resulted in nothing but being ignored because I dared to criticise.

If anything I let my temper get the better of me in the first couple posts, because this is the only time something you've done has ticked me off to this degree

Edit: Removed image from previous post after calming down
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:19:04 PM by PsychOXRat »

BenDover

ehh it's only really a "problem" in clean racing
both the current fwd cars are weak and they don't exactly handle well a slight kiss to the cheek from big hunk of american metal  8) (or metal from anywhere around the world for that matter)
also have you tried the update yet? it just came out, and you here judging so hard

Still if it is a problem/bug in the game it should be fixed right? What I have seen the last couple of months are that the racing server aka clean racing servers are the most popular, maybe that have been when I have been looking but eaither way overall I think its 50/50 and should still get a fix on it.

In the last update many of the ppl doing derby etc dident like the normal dmg for example becuse some cars looked like they still never had a big crash or anything and for us clean racing this was not a problem, but still I said it need to be fixed so  everyone can enjoy the game. :P
Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

Janne Suur-Näkki

PsychOXRat, I'm sorry if you've felt that way. Truth to be told there's significant difference between being ignored and not getting a reply. We can't afford to reply to every single concern or feedback that's being posted but we do try to read every single bit, and if there's anything we can do to within our means and while maintaining the big picture we will. As is evident by the fact that we've actually tried to help you guys with what you felt is a real problem because we genuinely thought that if you feel like it's problem then you must be onto something. We could have always said that yeah, it's a problem that only these couple of guys are having and shrugged it off.

Also, speaking about the big picture: I realize this is important to you but as developers we always need to look at the game as a whole. There's no denying that our driveline implementation is not perfect, actually far from it, but given that the game is not trying to be a full-blown simulator, does it make the game that much worse? No. Would the game be better with fully simulated driveline? For the most people, no - that's not why they play the game. Even so, would we love to have something like that? Hell yes. In a perfect world we would have more time and resources to make our physics engine as realistic and detailed as possible, and put in all the other cool features that people are requesting. We'd love to, but we just can't. We have to prioritize and focus on the features that will help the big picture. Personally I feel like not having a perfect driveline simulation in our game might not be a problem but if one or two cars are overpowered, that is a problem we need to fix, and yes - this was a cheap fix if you will, but like said, it gets the job done for now.

Finsku

New score window looks nice!

And realistic damage on career mode, thanks! I've waited that a lot :D
Thanks for the update!

Ps. Any update about AMD graphic stuff? Not big deal about not having .. was it FXAA.. on  :P

The Very End

Also forgot to mention; Love the extra vivid / colorness or whatever you call it.
Now, there is still a bit strangness going on in terms of performance. Earlier I complained about warwaggon and muddigger causing FPS issues, but turns out it's quite a other thing; If turning on A-class set the game runs about 50% FPS compared to all other sets. I can have a full field of a single car = 60 FPS, banger, demo, B and C = 60FPS, A class = 9-20FPS. It's... strange to say the least. Tried cleaning up the files and running un-modded game, but getting same results.
Any ideas?

PsychOXRat

Yeah, sorry again for the previous outburst. I understand that a lot of new features would take some time to add in, but regarding the change to FWD cars, it may have been a bit too extreme imo as I'm now 2-3 seconds off of my original pace at tarmac 1 with the nexus, which puts it a second slower than when I drive a RWD car as the car doesn't really corner at all anymore and just slides off of turns when it should have grip (taking the final turn of tarmac 1 at ~50mph doesn't feel right at all), wheelspins at almost any given moment and just doesn't feel right in general. I complained about RWD cars feeling like they were on ice, but compared to the Nexus, they seem pretty glued to the road. If you plan to stick with the tyre profile fix I'd suggest changing the multiplier from 0.9 to around 0.94-0.97 so it doesn't have the same levels of grip, but it doesn't feel like it has no grip. Maybe leaving static grip the same as the normal tyres but editing the slide grip colud help with the problem more effectively?