Author Topic: March Update 3  (Read 11868 times)

Tonza

Principal Skinner here sums up my opinion on the update  8)

Straby

Good Stuff  :D

Please add an option to get past the first titlescreen after launching the game, by clicking with the mouse.
i5 2500, 16GB ram, 850 EVO SSD 250GB, GTX 1060 6GB, Win10 Pro 64Bit, Keyboard

Paul_B

@PsychOXRat
 @Janne

In fairness the overall car physics are quite believable.  Full on racing simulators can struggle to get it perfect, even with a ton of real world data

Here's a review of the same Porsche GT3 tested in 3 sims by a real race driver, he is critical on all of them.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:25:46 AM by Paul_B »
Intel Xeon quad v3-1220@3.1ghz/ASUS Z97-A
Nvida GTX 1060 6gb/16gb HyperX ram/Windows 10/ Thrustmaster TX Leather Wheel/ Thrustmaster  T3PA Pedals / Logitech G27 Shift

TheEngiGuy

I'm loving the new update! My only real complaint is that it's still pretty difficult to flip a car with a medium and high-speed T-bone. I thought it felt more realistic before Update 2.

Races flow more dynamically thanks to the AI changes, they're definitely less robotic so that's a big plus! Are performance points going to be different for each AI driver, though? That would help for career mode.
Oh, and thanks for including realistic damage in career mode too!

New weather looks nice, now the lighting in the game is definitely better on most, if not all tracks. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but I've noticed car textures have a bit more detail now (scratches, dirt etc.).

Oh, and about the physics... still the usual "unnatural flipping behaviour" I've been talking about since ages, I guess that can't be sorted out anymore? The way cars reacted to collisions while flipping before the physics overhaul felt more natural.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:43:46 AM by TheEngiGuy »

Finsku

Does people have problem with joining servers? I updated mine server and I can't log in. On server side I can see people have joined but no one drow any race. When I join I can see my name on server console, but game is on Loading screen and loads and loads...
Map where I'm trying to join is Crash Canyon.

EDIT: It logged in when map changed to different. IDK did I get it to change with enabling and disabling eventloop or what, but now I'm in  ???

EDIT2: Yeah, stuck again. When server changed back to Crash Canyon I will be stuck on loading screen

EDIT3: Did something change with server configs? Because I found another track which makes server unjoinable (Speedway 1 Fig 8). I'm guessing my old configs doesn't work with new update.

Also, while loading "couple" minutes I got error message
Fatal error - Texture creation (1920 x 1080) failed

Heddly

PsychOXRat, I'm sorry if you've felt that way. Truth to be told there's significant difference between being ignored and not getting a reply. We can't afford to reply to every single concern or feedback that's being posted but we do try to read every single bit, and if there's anything we can do to within our means and while maintaining the big picture we will. As is evident by the fact that we've actually tried to help you guys with what you felt is a real problem because we genuinely thought that if you feel like it's problem then you must be onto something. We could have always said that yeah, it's a problem that only these couple of guys are having and shrugged it off.

Also, speaking about the big picture: I realize this is important to you but as developers we always need to look at the game as a whole. There's no denying that our driveline implementation is not perfect, actually far from it, but given that the game is not trying to be a full-blown simulator, does it make the game that much worse? No. Would the game be better with fully simulated driveline? For the most people, no - that's not why they play the game. Even so, would we love to have something like that? Hell yes. In a perfect world we would have more time and resources to make our physics engine as realistic and detailed as possible, and put in all the other cool features that people are requesting. We'd love to, but we just can't. We have to prioritize and focus on the features that will help the big picture. Personally I feel like not having a perfect driveline simulation in our game might not be a problem but if one or two cars are overpowered, that is a problem we need to fix, and yes - this was a cheap fix if you will, but like said, it gets the job done for now.

Thanks for the info Janne, It sounds like good direction to go for "Next Car Game 2"   ;D

Purple44

The weather system now uses an event specific weather list configured in the event's evse bag data file so you can have different weathers available for each event.

Seem this new way of handling the weather causing issues with the online servers. Here what Trabb told me:

TrAbB: had a real nightmear getting the server going, the change in the weathers is most confusing for the server manager
Purple44: hi, ya raed change about that, u using server manager? or had to do it by hand?
TrAbB: and now its telling me i cant connect to my own server lol
Purple44: did u let server browerrs verify files? u will get that error if u don't
TrAbB: useing the server manager, but had to change it by hand.. click the weather tab each track, seclect random.. repete
TrAbB: and yea, i know about the verify thing

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Finsku

The weather system now uses an event specific weather list configured in the event's evse bag data file so you can have different weathers available for each event.

Seem this new way of handling the weather causing issues with the online servers. Here what Trabb told me:

TrAbB: had a real nightmear getting the server going, the change in the weathers is most confusing for the server manager
Purple44: hi, ya raed change about that, u using server manager? or had to do it by hand?
TrAbB: and now its telling me i cant connect to my own server lol
Purple44: did u let server browerrs verify files? u will get that error if u don't
TrAbB: useing the server manager, but had to change it by hand.. click the weather tab each track, seclect random.. repete
TrAbB: and yea, i know about the verify thing

Yeah, weather settings was the reason why people couldn't join my server.
My server configs had a row "weather=clear day", which (looks like) causes my problem.
IDK is it still in-use (clear day setting), but when I commented that row out I can join my server.
Also, "clear day" is still on weathers -list if you write "weathers" on server terminal/console.

Thanks Funky for sending PM about that :)

Paul_B

My update 3,

Pros : End race splash screen , new parts , really liking the new weather modes, no major impact on FPS

Cons : Flags, start-finish very poor graphic looks like clip art Word 2007 , Car paint looks too glossy in the sun now ?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:05:06 AM by Paul_B »
Nvida GTX 1060 6gb/16gb HyperX ram/Windows 10/ Thrustmaster TX Leather Wheel/ Thrustmaster  T3PA Pedals / Logitech G27 Shift

NicoP

I feel like AI are really not challenging. They all drive same, take the same path, same angle of racing. They never smash us, like if you want to avoid everyone you can. The only way to die in single player is if you kill yourself.

I hope they would make like an other harder AI mode

FalconXY

After testing the latest update I can say that the fun is back:D

Visual and car health damage system is good, AI is more chaotic and a bit more aggressive.   ;D
I like the new loading and end screens. The better WINNER and FINISHED on screen display.

Good weather and new AI paint jobs.  :)

Some minor issues are fixed too that were not listed in the first post:

-Sound of AI engines seemed fixed. Hotshot and Rammer sound different now and in a good way.
-Track selection now returns to the last selected one.

But I have found some small bugs:

On the end of a Last Man derby I ended first but was eliminated and two cars were still running
(happend only once in some derbies so far). See screenshot.

On Mixed 5 some parked cars are flying (see screenshot).

more in next post.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:27:02 AM by FalconXY »
Intel i7-3770, 8GB RAM, ATI R9 390X 8GB, Win10 64bit, G27 wheel

FalconXY

Sorry have to post again for adding more screenshots (192Kb for 4 screens is too low size)

My car engine got smashed a bit too far into the body (see screenshots) and I still won the fig 8 race without steering issues.

I would prefer some more feedback on the FFB wheel (you have to countersteer to keep the car in straight line) when the car wheels are pushed in or damaged.

Please store car settings and number of laps by track !
Please make health bar seperate from player names !

On the Speedway Outer Oval Loop track can the AI cars use the inner lane next to the wall too please ?
That's an easy way to cheat the track because AI is not driving there.

Could you please correct the engine dummy orientation to point in the same direction on all cars please ?
Or where ever the smoke and engine fire effect is connected to.
That would make it easier to add an exhaust smoke effect to the cars. (see my thread in modding).

I would like to see more matte car paints than these shiny ones. More faded paint.

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:30:17 AM by FalconXY »
Intel i7-3770, 8GB RAM, ATI R9 390X 8GB, Win10 64bit, G27 wheel

Paul_B

Noticed that I was getting auto reset when going off track ?, the R option would flash on screen

KingOfTheCakes

I appreciate that real damage is in career mode and the deadly love taps are gone now. Normal damage overall is in pretty great shape imo, still encourages big hitting but without feeling like a tank doing so. :D

One problem I only have is with the Expert AI:
- Making them more sideways has made them slower. They seem to slide coming out of the corners instead of before or during them, making their exit speeds pretty pants.
- I know it's WIP, but AI are very cautious around the player. If you slow down in front of them, 9 times out of 10 they'll just slow down and follow you.
- AI can just stop if you park in front of them. Not even attempting to push, accelerate or anything. They just sit there! XD (Screencaps below)

- In relation to that, they can also just park up if a dead car is obstructing them. No attempting to move around it. (screencap below)

- Some AI cars that are heavier or equal in weight of the player's feel lighter than smaller cars when you spin them on occassions. For example if I'm in the Rammer and I spin an AI driving one too, they seem to go around a lot easier than a Gremlin.
- Probably just an oversight, but AI don't seem to take alternate routes around loops anymore, unlike before.

Really my only gripe with the last two updates so far. I really do think that if we have the option to run challenging AI, they need to be quicker and more aggressive imo. I know it's all WIP, but these are just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:16:26 AM by KingOfTheCakes »
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

happyrichie

surprisingly this update 2 the nexus is ok with me, no idea why u didnt just change the tires though. once u get used to it it feels less "flicky" and more realistic on the way in a bend, during the bend the grip is way 2 low as im turning 2 slowly as the tires and the steering wheel dont turn the car correctly and makes it feel all disconnected from the track, i need more turn in the advanced controller setting so i can bring the "flickyness" back and risk spinning out. wouldnt you be able to sort out the problem if you increased the rev limiters in the other cars though? speedbird type of cars are usually faster but the rev limiter is in the way.