Author Topic: Alternative Route and AI, I got Crashes !  (Read 821 times)

Hey guys,

Here's some clarification on how the checkpoint importing from MAX works:

1. the max object name must start with #checkpoint ( I bet some of you knew that ;-) )

some examples of valid names are:
#checkpoint01
#checkpoint05_split
#checkpoint01_alt
#checkpoint01_alt2

2. if there is an "_alt" in the name, the game will assume it must be used on an alternative (alt) route.

2A. If the name has just "_alt" (no number afterwards), the route index will be set to -1 at import, and the game will try to find the correct route at runtime.

2B. If the name has "_altN" (where N is a number), the import will assign the checkpoint specifically to route index N (this way you can define in MAX which alt route the checkpoint is used for).

Both methods are in use, so that the newer (2B) "_altN" naming doesn't break old tracks with the older (2A) naming scheme.

Cheers,
Andrei

The Very End

Interesting! So the alt number is actually just related to the alt route NUMBER, and not the actual checkpoint number? What or how to name alt route checkpoints when there are two or more checkpoints? Say you have in total two alt routes with 2 checkpoints on each, how would you go about naming them all? Like this?

#checkpoint01_split
#checkpoint02_split
#checkpoint01_alt1
#checkpoint02_alt1
#checkpoint01_alt2
#checkpoint02_alt2

And lastly, split times for alt checkpoints? checkpointxx_altx_split does not work.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:04:45 PM by The Very End »

Yes, the number after "_alt" specifies the route, not the checkpoint number.

The following you wrote, should work okay:
#checkpoint01_split
#checkpoint02_split
#checkpoint01_alt1
#checkpoint02_alt1
#checkpoint01_alt2
#checkpoint02_alt2

Actually, the number 'N' in #checkpointN does not really depict the checkpoint number - it is just to keep the checkpoint objects in the correct order in MAX.

The importer reads the checkpoint objects in the order they appear in the MAX Scene Objects list. You should always make sure they are in the same correct order in the sectors (for each route).

Sooooo... you could (for more legible ordering in MAX) name the checkpoint objects like this (NOTE: the list below is sorted alphabetically, just like MAX does it):

#checkpoint_alt1_01
#checkpoint_alt1_02
#checkpoint_alt2_01
#checkpoint_alt2_02
#checkpoint_main_01_split
#checkpoint_main_02_split

... and that should also work.

Now, about the split times (checkpoints with the "_split" postfix):

The split times checkpoints are not supported anymore - the only split time information you get is when you start a new lap (cross the first checkpoint on the main route). That means that the "_split" part in the name is effectively always ignored. That's the designers' decision (and no, I don't like it either).

Cheers,
Andrei

Thanks a lot for the clarifications, if you got time to explain a bit more the proxy checkpoints and "parallel start checkpoint", it could be great !

The Very End

Never heard about parallel checkpoints, but proxy checkpoint I actually know something about- As Andrei told me about this like two years ago :p
Well, proxy checkpoints are placed on alternative routes, and works as the start / finish checkpoint. Basically you want to give the alt route the custom property crossstart = true , yes trippel s, then place one of those proxy checkpoints where you want the start / finish line to be on alt route. If you need an example I can send you a old track I have (the Sca track from DD2) that utilized this.

Edit: if you want to spawn cars at different routes: if you call the startpoints #startpoint_altX (where x is alt route number) , they will work as custom start positions. A fun thing here, alt routes that has alt startpoints on them will not be used other than on first lap (at least by those cars spawned on that route), meaning it won't cause issues if you create a special start loop/positions. If you want an example of this I can post a screenshot how I utilize this on tracks like Konsmo and Aremark.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:30:37 PM by The Very End »

By parrallel checkpoints I mean dual start checkpoint ! ^^
But yeah I have to try stuff about that, because it don't work pretty well on my track. ^^

The Very End

Try having half the field on an alt route, then call those startpoints placed on that route #startpointX_alt1 = should work. IIRC I have tested with having 3 different starting areas going on at same time with success.

If you got screenshots we can help more :)

Edit: or you mean an checkpoint that is a checkpoint for two routes at same time? Don't think that is possible, unless BB has a trick up their sleeve? :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:16:33 PM by The Very End »

I'll post stuff when I will work on it later ! :)

Purple44

Never heard about parallel checkpoints, but proxy checkpoint I actually know something about- As Andrei told me about this like two years ago :p
Well, proxy checkpoints are placed on alternative routes, and works as the start / finish checkpoint. Basically you want to give the alt route the custom property crossstart = true , yes trippel s, then place one of those proxy checkpoints where you want the start / finish line to be on alt route. If you need an example I can send you a old track I have (the Sca track from DD2) that utilized this.

Edit: if you want to spawn cars at different routes: if you call the startpoints #startpoint_altX (where x is alt route number) , they will work as custom start positions. A fun thing here, alt routes that has alt startpoints on them will not be used other than on first lap (at least by those cars spawned on that route), meaning it won't cause issues if you create a special start loop/positions. If you want an example of this I can post a screenshot how I utilize this on tracks like Konsmo and Aremark.

So if I understand your post End, it possible to have two groups of cars start off in different directions? I could do this track?

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

The Very End

It probably is, but the route still need to be connected to the main route, meaning that some of the course the cars must drive at the same route.