Author Topic: Alternative Route and AI, I got Crashes !  (Read 1278 times)

Hello modding community, I got a problem with alternative routes !
I made one, which export perfectly, when I play alone on the track everything is working, I tried both route, everything is fine !
But when I play with AI, each time an AI reach the alternative route first sector, the game crash, like return to desktop and no error message !
IS there any why to correct that / know what the bug is ! Or a good explaination on how to do alternative routes ?
Thanks ! :)

The Very End

Hey!

Usually such a crash occurs if there is no checkpoint on alt route (named #checkpointXX_alt). In addition, when placing the checkpoint, it must only touch the alt route. If it touches two routes at same time it will most likely crash. From time to time you also must create a tcat file if it still crashes. Just open the sector editor, make a change and save - then cross fingers. I had to do that on my new track to get it to work.

To name the checkpoint, I don't really get how it work !
If my alternative checkpoint should replace the #checkpoint05, how dhould I name the alternative checkpoint ?
Also there is only one checkpoint on this alternative route !
I'll try the tcat file !

The Very End

As long as every route has at least one checkpoint you are fine :) The second you enter a checkpoint you are locked for that route, so you can have it where you want on the route (just not the first or last sector).

Normal checkpoints are named #checkpointXx / checkpointXx_split (if you want split times on screen), and alternative checkpoints are named checkpointXx_alt. The x'es are the number. Usually you place the alt checkpoint close to the checkpoint on main route, and call it the same number as the one on main route.

Just ask if unsure :)

Purple44

Do give End's tut on doing alt checkpoints a read too:

Wreckfest track tutorial 06 - alternative paths

But in doing my "research" for a helping post here, I have notice something strange. Has Bugbear change how they do alt checkpoints in Bagedit?

From June 2017:

From Bugbear Speedway 2 loop alt route checkpoints:

You see the difference between the 2 pics?

Where the - sign go for Route Index?

Maybe if using more than 1 alt route on your track, you will need to drop using - sign?

Or Bugbear not using - sign for Route Index any more?

But - Speedway 2 Fig8:

Is checkpoint #5 a bad checkpoint? Or is there a reason the - sign was drop here?

Also checkpoint #4 is using a - sign here for Route Index. 

So I'm all confuse now how we suppose to do alt route checkpoints!!!!

There any Bugbear Dev want explain and clear things up? Please.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Heddly

Maybe making a mod folder to edit might work? Just a thought.

Okay so !
I've watch and read the tutorial and I tried everything !
My checkpoint is the equivalent of the checkpoint#05 on main route so I tried :
#checkpoint05_alt -> Give me -1 on route index in the .scne file
#checkpoint01_alt -> Same as before but antother checkpoint index !
#checkpoint05_alt01 -> Give me 1 on route index in the .scne file
#checkpoint01_alt01 -> Same as before but antother checkpoint index !

I've added a .tcat file but I don't know if I should add road on the "Roads" array ! :/

The thing is that the game crash when the AI cars arrive at the first alternative route sector !

So I'll keep testing, now will try to modify my road sectors !

Okya, I made a really simple track, can someone tell me why it keep crashing when the AI reach the first alternative route sector ?

Max file on Google Drive !
 https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nc8t8vE-Qw9vbvaH8LviBVN8oUmCMFmL

Purple44

Okya, I made a really simple track, can someone tell me why it keep crashing when the AI reach the first alternative route sector ?

Max file on Google Drive !
 https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nc8t8vE-Qw9vbvaH8LviBVN8oUmCMFmL

Could you upload the track scne file(s), so I give it ago at debugging file? I might need the hold track folder so track load in-game.

Have you tried just adding the Alt route checkpoint by hand with Bagedit? That the way I have to do it with my custom tracks. But you will have do the math for the midpoint of the checkpoint.

Purple44

Now I'm running into this issue with alt route checkpoint.

I took the Sandpit 1 hairpin \sandpit01_1 folder and made copy of it, so I could add my extreme stuff to track ( gas bottles, meteors ).

But first I just rename main track folder and track file to sandpit1_extreme so it load as a separate track. No actually changes to track scne file, just the name. I start track with my car and one AI car, start race and sit there and let AI car go ahead. When AI start turn for the hairpin and hit alt route checkpoint, game crashes, no error!

Why would this happen when there been no changes to track file except name of track file?

If I race track with just my car, no crash, Extreme track only crashes with an AI car.   :o

If I get rid of alt route aisectors and alt route checkpoint, AI can race track without crashing it.

Purple44

Did some more testing, tried to test the name of track file.

Tried \sandpit01_1e, tried \test, both names crash when AI car reach the alt route checkpoint. Took same file and folder and rename it back to \sandpit01_1 and AI can again race track without crashing!!

So why Wreckfest happy with the name \sandpit01_1 and when I go change it, the AI crash the game?? 

The Very End

Sounds like tcat issues. Isn't sandpit01_1 a track in the game? If not, try giving the track a new name, then save a new tcat file for it. Make sure to at least adjust one sector before saving. The issue sounds a lot like what I had and it turned out to solve itself after I adjusted the paths and saved an tcat file.

Purple44

Sounds like tcat issues. Isn't sandpit01_1 a track in the game? If not, try giving the track a new name, then save a new tcat file for it. Make sure to at least adjust one sector before saving. The issue sounds a lot like what I had and it turned out to solve itself after I adjusted the paths and saved an tcat file.

Thank you, Thank you End!  :)

That did the trick. I made a copy of the sandpit01_1.tcat file I had in my GoKart Plus mod and rename it sandpit1_extreme.tcat, started track and AI car made it pass the alt route checkpoint.  :)

Usually I don't mess with tcat file when making a new custom track until I'm done placing objects, done the aisectors and checkpoints. Now with using alt route, I will have to remember to make a new tact file too. Maybe get main track route down first, then save a tcat, then add alt route and then save tcat again so alt route don't crash.

Okay The Very End, I followed your Tuto n°5, and got it to work now ! :D Thank you a lot ! You have all my gratitude !

The Very End

Just happy to hear it worked out! If stuck just ask :)