Author Topic: Art in Game, Texel Density !  (Read 546 times)

Hi, BugBear Dev,
I'm making a track for wreckfest, but I was wondering what's the texel density for tracks ?
If you could share some of your info about that ! I'll be glad.  :D
(Like Texel for the road, for the landscape, and for props !)
Thanks in advance ! :)

The Very End

Really depends on what you want and need. Think a general rule of thumb is no more than 65k vertices for each model. I have used a lot more than that, but the model is then split into smaller parts.
The less you have while still getting the geometry right, the better.

By texel density, I mean how many pixel per meters for the textures !? (Manly for the road texture)
I knew for 65K vertices, it's because of the 32bit version of the game ! ;) 32Bits can't support more than 65K vertex list ! (It's the same for Android games ! As a big part of the phones are 32bits os)

sam223

By texel density, I mean how many pixel per meters for the textures !? (Manly for the road texture)
I knew for 65K vertices, it's because of the 32bit version of the game ! ;) 32Bits can't support more than 65K vertex list ! (It's the same for Android games ! As a big part of the phones are 32bits os)
4096px x 4096px is maximum texture resolution but you can use different aspect ratios e.g 8192x2048
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Okay, thanks, but I really wanted what's the general texel density in Wreckfest, to keep the same art style and quality. And also avoid perf drop.

The Very End

Edit: wrong

okay, it seams to be something like 1024x1024 pixels for 2m square ! I'm not sure but it seams that this fit !
Thanks for your comments about perf spec ! :)

sam223

okay, it seams to be something like 1024x1024 pixels for 2m square ! I'm not sure but it seams that this fit !
Thanks for your comments about perf spec ! :)
It varies per object i guess. i.e every car uses a 4096x4096px texture so the PPI will vary depending on car size.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Heddly

Would it help to compare the stock game sizes to your's

@Heddly
That's what I did at the end, and a concrete texture in game, it's a 1024x1024 px and it fit well on a 2m² plane ! So, I think it's something like that !
I know Texel Density change depending on the importance of the object, but I was hopping that perhaps, the dev would release a kind of guideline about that, and not just about "how to make a track".

TT

The best way to see for yourself is to look in the mod folder for the Example mod. There is a track called Sample Track. It has .tga files for some of the textures used