Author Topic: The changes to starting grid has broken most of the mod tracks  (Read 584 times)

The Very End

Any chance for a fix or rollback on this or making dynamic starting positions not affecting custom tracks? Almost all my tracks broke in this update. What happens is that the cars spawn under the racing line and sometimes below geometry. Do not know how or if I can fix this.

RickyB

I had one track where that happened. In my case there was some geometry from the terrain plane a few meters under the street surface. Moved that to z=0, now it works again. Maybe something similar on your tracks.  :-\

But there's something else that bugs me about this "dynamic starting grid". Apparently I can't move the grid to the left or to the right, it always puts itself centered onto the race line. That's kind of annyoing because there are tracks where that is not the best option or even counter-productive.

The Very End

Probably, problem is that the grid seems to focus on lowest point. If I have a bridge with startpoints, the startpoints gets placed on whatever is below the bridge. Hope it will be changed or I am royally screwed :`(

I didn't understand why they change that, and as usual there is no wiki on how it works now ! :/ Because my start grid for one of my track is broken now !

Purple44

Have you guys tried raising the height number for the startpoints?

Maybe try 20 and see if the cars drop to the trackmap. If they do, lower the height number until cars not dropping down to track. Or go to 50 if you have to.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

The Very End

Moving the startpoints has no effect and even when I elevated the whole scene the cars still spawn on lowest point.

The dynamic start point generation was introduced a while ago, sorry to hear it broke mod tracks.
The event's bbTrackData (.tcat) file now includes a bbGridGenerationInfo structure, which is used for generating the starting grid.

To be Frank(TM), I don't understand how the change can break "most of the mod tracks"... I mean, the startpoints are now generated at runtime (race start) but they should be appearing in the same grid area normally (unless there's something weird going on with the mod track).

(@TVE: Your multi-level route-crossing Bridge level starting grid problem is likely another issue, let's deal with that separately.)

However, this problem should be easily fixable... I'll add a "grid generation disabled" flag to the aforementioned .tcat file.
Just turn that checkbox on and it'll use the startpoints from your .max file.

Cheers,
Andrei

The Very End

Not trying to grind your gears or to say the update sucks - because it does not :) It is just strange how - as you also mention, that the little change seem to affect the startpoints. And "appearing in the same grid area normally" - this is the essence of it, the starting positions that has been the same in the tracks from day 1 suddently started to spawn in all strange places - regardless of the things I threw at it.

Glad to hear you managed to find a fix, and sorry if I came across cross - not intentional.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:29:07 PM by The Very End »

Okay guys,

At least the Eagle's Nest is fixed after the next hotfix update (if you set the "grid generation disabled" flag in eaglesnest.tcat).

Cheers,
Andrei

Edit:
Same fix applies to the Bridge to Nowhere track.

PS. Looks like the grid generation itself is working fine (e.g. in Bristol), but it doesn't work correctly if the ground level (at the starting grid) is high above "zero level" (the Y-coordinate is way above zero), AND there is another plane under the grid area where the cars could spawn in... it chooses the lower plane to spawn on (which is not correct, at least with Eagle's Nest and Bridge to Nowhere).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:19:19 PM by Andrei Räisänen »

The Very End

All the best! Thanks.