Author Topic: Exporting/converting .vhcl  (Read 368 times)

Defectiv

I've been looking on how to export existing meshes so I can open them in 3dsMax. I've seen a lot (well a bit) on how to export from 3dsmax and convert to .vhcl but how to do the opposite I've drawn a blank.

I've looked a lot even at posts on other games that use .vhcl but I've not found anything on doing this.

I mostly want to do this to export the UV's for skinning as I'm sure sit would help myself and a lot of others too.

Anyone any clue, hint, or magically a tutorial on how to do this?
CPU: i7-7700 Mem: 32gb GFX: GTX 1080ti OS: W10x64

Zebulon55

We absolutely need those uv maps. Citizenerased extracted uvs from the 6 or so  early cars. See the collected skinning info thread for links.
If just one of us could figure it out how, or maybe Bugbear could provide uv maps, I, for one, would be very grateful. 8^)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

sam223

There is no way of converting .vhcl back to a native format without bodging it using model ripping software.
Bugbear also provided a bunch of blank skins for people to paint over already, or there did used to be in the chassisname/art folder.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Zebulon55

We absolutely need those uv maps. Citizenerased extracted uvs from the 6 or so  early cars. See the collected skinning info thread for links.
If just one of us could figure it out how, or maybe Bugbear could provide uv maps, I, for one, would be very grateful. 8^)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Okay I was a bit hasty with the quick post above.
We do not absolutely need the uv maps. Several people have made some very nice skins without them.

That said, the uv maps are a great asset, a useful tool.
Citizenerased made very good ones available for the early cars:

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,7484.msg86760.html#msg86760

Also see the collected skinning info thread, which has useful but dated information(already down to page 3? Time for a bump):
http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,7925.0.html

I used the uvs as basically white or black "wireframes" on transparency layers. I could have the wireframe layer on top and line up graphics to the lines. It was also useful to see where body contours might distort images applied over them. Turn off the uv layer for exporting of the targa file.

Bugbear's skin files do facilitate painting under them, but the panel lines can be difficult to judge exactly. The ao files can also be used for a template, but uv maps are so much nicer to use.

I've never done skins before Wreckfest, but I have played with the GIMP since I first discovered it included with Slackware back in the late 1990s. I don't make realistic racing liveries, I make a skin to a theme, usually with some humor, and I like to use GIMP tutorials to create graphics and learn new ways to manipulate imagery for them.

I got spoiled by the usefulness of citizenerased's uvs, I guess. lol
Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

Defectiv

I've done quite a number of skins (45) for Wreckfest using a mix of the _ao and c5 maps as a guide. It works but sometimes it can be quite a hassle lining up liveries and finding some of the small parts.
The UV's that were ripped out of the old versions still partly match but not fully. Things have been moved around in the UV.

I use a colour grid to find where things hide but even then its fiddly and can require several save to .tga and convert .bmap steps to find them, then several again to get the artwork positioned right. Which again, is just a big time consumer as 4k even with a good CPU still takes a bit of time when you're waiting for it. Especially if all you did was move something a few pixels to correct it and do so several times in a row.

I've skinned for other games too and having the UV's just saves a lot of time. It's also much easier to create good templates.

I had hoped there was some way to get at those model files by now so I could create the UV's.

@sam223, there are blanks yes, but they don't solve the above issues. They are just blank cars, they don't tell you where things go. So finding a hood is no issue, but how it lines up with the quarter panel or where that little plate hides that covers the hole where the blinker used to be is often just a time consuming trial and error method.
CPU: i7-7700 Mem: 32gb GFX: GTX 1080ti OS: W10x64

sam223

@sam223, there are blanks yes, but they don't solve the above issues. They are just blank cars, they don't tell you where things go. So finding a hood is no issue, but how it lines up with the quarter panel or where that little plate hides that covers the hole where the blinker used to be is often just a time consuming trial and error method.

You are correct,it is not easy to paint the little bits like that or trim. But I think you will have a bit of a difficult time trying to paint those anyway.
A couple of patches ago they changed from the baked AO to real time AO,which means the models now have no overlapping UVs. Making it even harder to paint objects which cover other objects.

There is a simple solution though,dont paint the body. Instead just paint your 2nd alt colours and signs.Put your 1st alt colours on a 'livery'. Then alpha channel out everything else. Then when using the in game paint shader,everything will be coloured the same and correctly.

Devs could include UV's in the art folder though,i agree that would be helpful. Maybe it will happen when game is done.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:57:50 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 16gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120/500gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Logitech pad

Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2