Author Topic: Game will not launch  (Read 255 times)

Danno871

I've owned this game for a while and it has always worked in the past. I haven't played in months but I tried after the April update and when I attempt to launch the game it never progresses past the 64 or 32 bit screen. After choosing either option the game just fails to launch. I never even get the configuration screen.

Core i5, 8GB RAM, GT740M, Windows 10. The game has always run on this computer without issue.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and verifying the game cache.

Janne Suur-Näkki

What happens - do you receive an error message? Have had any mods installed in the past? Have you tried temporarily disabling your antivirus software or whitelisting the game's executable?

Danno871

Firstly thank you for the quick reply.

No error message, the box that says "preparing to launch" just disappears. The game's status switches to "running" for about a second on Steam and then goes back.

I have never modded the game. I don't run dedicated antivirus software, just windows defender, which I have tried disabling.

Purple44

Give this a try, just to make sure modlist file not screwy even thou you have not installed any mods:

GAME DOESN'T LAUNCH AFTER INSTALLING MODS
First try launching the game with "-disable_mods" (without quotes) launch option (right click on the game name in Steam Library > Properties > Set Launch Options). If that doesn't help, removeC:\Program Files (x86)Steam\userdata\[YOUR UNIQUE USER ID]\228380\local\wreckfest early access\modlist.mods file and try again.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Daystar

Also you can close Steam, and restart Steam. I had the same issue as you a few times.

Danno871

Give this a try, just to make sure modlist file not screwy even thou you have not installed any mods:

GAME DOESN'T LAUNCH AFTER INSTALLING MODS
First try launching the game with "-disable_mods" (without quotes) launch option (right click on the game name in Steam Library > Properties > Set Launch Options). If that doesn't help, removeC:\Program Files (x86)Steam\userdata\[YOUR UNIQUE USER ID]\228380\local\wreckfest early access\modlist.mods file and try again.

Tried both of these as I read them in another thread on here about a similar issue.

I have also tried restarting steam multiple times.

Purple44

Guess time to try a true fresh install of Wreckfest:

Quote from: Purple44;355043117530027775
Quote from: treadiculous;355043117529338135
3 recent updates and I still can't play!

I used to have no problems...

now I can get to the garage but when I click 'go race' I get the little 'windows 64 has stopped working' box.

running in 32 has the same issue.

all mods are disabled.

I've uninstalled and re-installed.

I'm running:
i5 ivybridge @310ghz (350ghz)
8gb Ram
Geforce GTX 970

help?

But have you done a true fresh install of Wreckfest?

Do the Steam uninstall of Wreckfest.

Then go to Wreckfest install folder ( make a shortcut to it before doing the uninstall ), Steam\steamapps\common\Bugbear Entertainment and delete the whole \Bugbear Entertainment  folder to make sure there no files left behind. It been posted that the Steam uninstall does not delete everything and these left over files can cause a problem.

Then need to remove the user data generated by the previous game versions by navigating to [STEAM INSTALLATION FOLDER]/userdata/[USER ID]/228380/local and removing or renaming the folder labeled 'wreckfest early access'. The default Steam installation folder is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam'. This get rid of config, career and modlist files.

Danno871

Guess time to try a true fresh install of Wreckfest:

Quote from: Purple44;355043117530027775
Quote from: treadiculous;355043117529338135
3 recent updates and I still can't play!

I used to have no problems...

now I can get to the garage but when I click 'go race' I get the little 'windows 64 has stopped working' box.

running in 32 has the same issue.

all mods are disabled.

I've uninstalled and re-installed.

I'm running:
i5 ivybridge @310ghz (350ghz)
8gb Ram
Geforce GTX 970

help?

But have you done a true fresh install of Wreckfest?

Do the Steam uninstall of Wreckfest.

Then go to Wreckfest install folder ( make a shortcut to it before doing the uninstall ), Steam\steamapps\common\Bugbear Entertainment and delete the whole \Bugbear Entertainment  folder to make sure there no files left behind. It been posted that the Steam uninstall does not delete everything and these left over files can cause a problem.

Then need to remove the user data generated by the previous game versions by navigating to [STEAM INSTALLATION FOLDER]/userdata/[USER ID]/228380/local and removing or renaming the folder labeled 'wreckfest early access'. The default Steam installation folder is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam'. This get rid of config, career and modlist files.

Encountered this thread in my search here before I posted. I followed those steps twice and it did not help with my issue.

Purple44

I just notice you have a m740, which means you have a laptop. Did you check to make sure there a game profile for Wreckfest to tell Wreckfest to use your dedicated m740 video card?

Not reading nVidia Graphics Card

If you took all the steps to do a fresh install and there a game profile and verifying the files and Wreckfest not starting, then maybe something with your computer stopping Wreckfest from starting, like an anti-virus. Some anti-virus programs have locked up key Wreckfest files so game would not run.

Danno871

I just notice you have a m740, which means you have a laptop. Did you check to make sure there a game profile for Wreckfest to tell Wreckfest to use your dedicated m740 video card?

Not reading nVidia Graphics Card

If you took all the steps to do a fresh install and there a game profile and verifying the files and Wreckfest not starting, then maybe something with your computer stopping Wreckfest from starting, like an anti-virus. Some anti-virus programs have locked up key Wreckfest files so game would not run.

Yes, it is set to used the dedicated GPU.

However I did solve the issue just now by performing a fresh install of windows. Not sure what the problem was, but reinstalling windows fixed it and the game now launches properly.

Thank you for your help!