Author Topic: Game crashes when more than 24 players (idea, brainstorming and insight inside)  (Read 150 times)

The Very End

Now, I did some testing.
First out, the memory adresses (these might be gibberish as I suspect they change from time to time when you launch the game) for the quick race AI selection (how many AI's), changed value to 33.

The result:

Sadly it crashes game (even if only 25). Tried using tracks with both generated grids and manual grids (where I have added a test grid with 48 slots), so no luck it seems. Sam was the first one to come up with the idea and I just played along. Now - is there are way we can do this, either crude (as in this attempt) or more elegante? And what about you BB - have some insight here?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:05:09 PM by The Very End »

Purple44

There a post from Janne I think, probably at least couple years old now, in a thread we got to talking about increasing the number of cars.

"Janne" posted Wreckfest is hardcoded to only 24 cars and there a few places in code you'd have to change. Not just one line of code.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Purple44

I was wrong about the Dev who posted:

Hope this doesn't sound stupid...

Starting points are just one thing. There are countless places in the .exe where memory is reserved for exactly 24 cars, or some component is updated for a maximum of 24 cars etc. You cannot find a magic variable with which you can increase the car count because the compiler hardcodes the 24 limit all over the place when creating and optimizing the binary. Just a heads up so you don't get too excited. :)

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

The Very End

Oh well, was fun trying tho and thanks for info :)