Author Topic: What export settings Bugbear use for Substance Painter?  (Read 238 times)

The Very End

So, from time to time I use Substance Painter to do the texture work. Using this program I have learned how to identify textures created by this program, and some of the Bugbear textures have been created by this program (it is not a bad thing).
However, there are a lot of export settings for the textures, depending on what game engine you export to. This means that the way the texture maps are handled and generally "works", depends on a lot of factors which Substance Painter supports.

Now, do you guys at Bugbear have the export settings you use for textures? Like, do you chose a render / game engine pre-setting or custom?
For me it's a bit of a pain sometime when the exported textures looks very much different in the game than what they do in Substance Painter, probably caused by these said settings.

Needles Kane

As a SP user I would like to know too what presets BB uses.

Btw, how you identified textures made with SP?

The Very End

If you look on the texture files, some of them has weird stretched textures on the areas where the UV islands are not present. It is sort of filler area which is not used in game.

Think an example of this can be seen on the new catch fences as well as the rock side texture on sand pit track. Not home but can post a picture of this later if you want.

Needles Kane

I think you mean padding, prevents artifacts when filtered. There are other tools that makes that, though I don't know if they fill full atlas like SP, or just few pixels around islands.

We are not using Substance at the office, we mostly use Quixel at the moment. But I guess if you use preset for UE4, it should be close enough. Most important thing is that you use roughness/metalness workflow.

The Very End

Ah, that's informative and to a lot of help, and should help getting textures in the right direction. Thanks for the information :)

sam223

We are not using Substance at the office, we mostly use Quixel at the moment. But I guess if you use preset for UE4, it should be close enough. Most important thing is that you use roughness/metalness workflow.
Whilst you are around Petri. Can we get official confirmation on what the specular channels do again, rather than guessing. We only have official outdated info i think from when the paint shader supported metal flake etc.

Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2