Author Topic: Upgrading upgraded  (Read 47063 times)

T0MMY3688

Everything sounds awesome but I'm not liking the rare parts idea unless they are just really minor improvement to the standard ones (like 1%-2% faster) or the upgraded cars are single player career only. I think it will be a pretty big balance problem if it is in multiplayer.

NeatNit

Will the upgrading be just for single player? I hope.

I worry if the tweaked cars are use online, it will unbalance the racing online.

We're still figuring that out. Due to cheating concerns, we will likely have different pre-made configurations. Also considering some sort of server verification.
It is crucial for me that upgrading not be present in online multiplayer (and optionally be turned off for LAN, which I'm still convinced you're definitely going to have even though you won't admit it). Flatout 2 / UC had, in the game settings, "Upgrades: 0%/50%/100%", which I guess would correspond to the "pre-made configurations" you mentioned. The singleplayer had many upgrade options in singleplayer too, but in multiplayer it's just those three obscure settings. Something similar would work - your progress in the game should never affect your multiplayer experience.

Benson1990

Sounds awsome. I would like to see visual upgrades that affect performance.  Like steel bars across doors to improve side strength but increase the weight and reduce handling. Or light weight body panels that improve accel but aren't as strong.
Banter Gaming Channel

Joonas Laakso

Visual modification with such a detail of destruction should be a nightmare, right?

The system is for the most part automated so it's easy in that way, but on the other hand there is much more testing to do to make sure it looks good.

SpeedDevil

Also, we'll be talking about the visual upgrading later. Still working on it.
You guys just keep it coming don't you :D
Awesome bit of news!

kevman_101

Sounding really awesome. I`m fine with rare parts being better, but there should be a shelf life in terms of damage and they also can not be repaired. So say you run a very clear race and was able to escape major damage, your part receives very little damage, but going into a demo derby with a rare supercharger lets say and your car gets totaled, well you lost you rare supercharger.

St. Jimmy

I worry if the tweaked cars are use online, it will unbalance the racing online.

We're still figuring that out. Due to cheating concerns, we will likely have different pre-made configurations. Also considering some sort of server verification.
Good. In FlatOut the cars weren't that balanced with upgrades either. The Pepper was so underpowered compared to others.
Official Wreckfest Discord
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,6GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Purple44

Or online make the cars fully tweak. There no making them faster, better handling, better grip. Let the single player figure out how to get the offline cars as good as the online version.

And as a reminder, there are players that don't do single player mode, they just go straight to multiplayer online. Ebay cars in GRID 1 made players look like cheaters when they found a faster car than a stock one. And in GRID 2 with it upgrades, I got guys passing me in the same car and I'm wondering what combination of upgrades they using to have a faster same car or are they using a hack online?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Wiedidog

LOVE IT, i think this is an really cool  8) and realistic feature.  :P
PRE-ORDER! http://nextcargame.com/pre-order/ IF YOU HAVE BALLS :D.

Notice: I´m not a member of BUGBEAR. I just like the logo!

RacerBest

Nice!
I like how the upgrading sounds. Hunting parts and rare parts sounds good, not just like in Flatout that you go to the shop and just buy all the parts to get best performance.

For online just make it possible for host to choose: stock cars or player-upgraded cars. People who don't like upgrades, can search for lobbies that race in stock cars.

concretec0w

Hmm... nice implementation ideas...

I have a couple of suggestions...

idea1. Is it possible to group car mods together into 'sets'. I can see this would be useful when chosing what mods to apply for a certain track type.

E.g.

1. small twisty tarmac track would prefer slicks, small turbo, low ride height and stiff suspension settings
2. offroad rally track would prefer deep ribbed tyres, large turbo, high ride and soft suspension

Therefore, using part groups/sets, you could quickly switch between different configurations for specific uses.

Idea 2. Maybe slightly jumping ahead, but I sometimes find it difficult to gauge how much a car config has changed the behaviour of the car. Using telemetry whilst I'm driving the car often doesn't give consistent results. So, I would propose that we are able to 'simulate' the results by having the AI from the game drive the car and compare the final laptime (easy to implement) or if possible show telemetry and laptime (hard to implement and not simcade friendly!).... Hope these can make it in so that people can quickly decide what setups will work best for them!

Edit: on second thought, for idea 2, the AI simulating the changes would only demonstrate whether the AI would benefit and not me personally... so I guess change that Idea into a request for telemetry lol :)

Cheers
Sunil
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:26:31 PM by concretec0w »

Satsuma182

Great ideas, upgrading should definitely be a feature and there is nothing wrong with making it a better experience.

Will there be just generic upgrades for the engine or will there be race/derby specific upgrades such as strengthening panels, adding weld, replacing mounts, adding dirt/tarmac tyres etc?

Also with regards to online I think pre-set builds would work best for ranked lobbies, either upgraded cars that bugbear has made and balanced themselves or completely stock cars.

An option to allow full upgrades in private/player matches wouldn't go amiss though.

John Burning

Cool!
Looks awesome!
And yes, make visual upgrades, pleeease!
Or make a poll about that.

Purple44

Nice!
I like how the upgrading sounds. Hunting parts and rare parts sounds good, not just like in Flatout that you go to the shop and just buy all the parts to get best performance.

For online just make it possible for host to choose: stock cars or player-upgraded cars. People who don't like upgrades, can search for lobbies that race in stock cars.

RacerBest, would you have stock cars be fully upgraded ( fastest version of car ) or have stock car be an un-upgraded car?

@Bugbear, will there be Time Trial tracks to test out these upgrades? Codemasters made big mistake with GRID 2, they only did the upgrades online, but have no time trial tracks to test your upgrade combination with just your car on the track!!!!
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Wurzsag

Upgrading cars is a great feature. It definitely adds more depth on game like it did to FlatOut 2.
My concerns so far:

1. Parts breaking down. I can already imagine situation where I have the ultimate-best-engine-EU™ but I don't use it because I'm afraid it breaks down.

2. Upgrading cars requires rocket science. This was mentioned already here but I really hope that you don't need to be a car mechanic IRL to make cars go top speed. (Although I'm studying MT-LBv-tank's motor and transmission at military service atm. :p)

3. The random factor. If the chance to find a very good part is extremely minimal it can be frustrating to try find that exact part.

4. Real money. I truly hope that real money isn't used to buy parts. Or have anything to do with this system.
One of the greatest Finnish short documentary films I have seen: