Author Topic: UI improvements  (Read 354 times)

Calamann

Here you can post some UI improvements and thoughts about the new UI.
I  L O V E  W R E C K F E S T

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / 4GB
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

Calamann

i really like the new loading screen. but please not just one wallpaper! add a few more. Please also add a new loading animation that fits in the new design.

please move the event/track name to the top left, to the right of "results". also adjust the height of the chat area to the result list. Maybe a bit more padding for the chat area?

please decide whether the list is displayed on the left, as in the previous screenshot, or in the middle, as here.

please move the server name to the top left, to the right of "lobby". also replace the fuzzy old class symbol with the respective letter and adjust the colors if necessary (A class: the red of "not ready", B class: the gold from the menu, C class: the green of "ready", D class: a slightly different blue). Also, the icons for ready and not ready should be adjusted. i added a tick in the last line which would fit. You could also simply remove the symbol, since "ready", "not ready" and "change car" may be enough. In the chat area I think that some padding would be quite good. and maybe it would also be cool if you could move the font, that display the time til the race starts, a little to the left, so that it is right-aligned with the level display, and make it a little bit smaller.

These are just a few thoughts about the UI I have seen so far. Btw I love the new goldish color for highlights in the menu. You could also replace all orange highlights with the new gold color ;) And the new font fits a lot better with the game!

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

Calamann

if you hover a car in the car selection menu (garage and multiplayer), the respective improvement or deterioration compared to the currently selected car should be shown in the statistics/status bar in green and red, as it was before in a previous version. Also, the class name/number should be shown in the small thumbnail of each car like it is in the market.

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

Calamann

what do you guys think about colors in server names and server descriptions. I personally dont like them. I would appreciate if all server names were simply white. It would also highlight the status (ready, not ready).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:08:16 PM by Calamann »

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

sam223

what do you guys think about colors in server names and server descriptions. I personally dont like them. I would appreciate if all server names were simply white. It would also highlight the status (ready, not ready).
Colours in server names is fine. Since we have zero formatting options other than colours. Would you rather every server name all white, with no formatting. Or let server owners highlight different parts of important information in the server title? no rules,hosting location etc etc.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

St. Jimmy

Colorful or colored server names and nicknames are pretty old and old school thing. I like that. Reminds me of Wolfenstein ET :)

Ready and not ready status would be nice if that's communicated better.

One big thing also. When you join a server, make the lobby screen show yourself always. And if you scroll up/down, your own name would still be at the top or bottom. And one very important thing, highlight the player so we can easily find ourselves in lobby screen. That can be one of the biggest reasons why people don't always remember to ready up, because they don't see their status and name in the screen!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:31:18 PM by St. Jimmy »
Unofficial  WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Purple44

I'm OK with color.

When server list show a lap count ( 1 lap ), a race is going.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Calamann

what so you think of this concept? I changed all orange highlight color to gold. I also added the class names to the thumbnails (new green for the c class). And I added changed statistics when you hover another car.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:42:07 PM by Calamann »

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

Calamann

if everything is colored, you don't recognize what is important anymore. that's why i would prefer to make the server name white. then the status, how many rounds are still to go and other important things would be easier to recognize (they should be colored!).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 04:14:08 PM by Calamann »

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

Calamann

And here is an idea for a new cursor

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

Calamann

I dont like the color wheels in the thumbnails. Maybe you could implement a preview of the design? And maybe better names for the designs?

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10

RickyB

I'm afraid until thursday there's not much going to change, but hopefully in a future update. I've not seen much of the new build, but it looks like the usability didn't really change at all? One could argue, that not only the UI but also part of the game could use a usability or maybe functionality overhaul / patch.

I still wonder, with the new build...
- can you sort the server browser by number of players / number of laps to go / ping and such ?
- can you change parts / customize cars in MP without having to leave the server ?
- can you make your own custom tournaments/cups with different tracks, number of laps per track etc. in MP and SP ?
- can you switch to the garage from almost anywhere? meaning you don't have to go back to the main menu everytime ?

If the answer to these questions is still "NO, you can't.", than that is unfortunate. Those are just a few examples. There's more stuff that has been asked for on the forum more than enough to get noticed by the devs. I don't get it why those reasonable suggestions, probably everybody would welcome, get ignored or left behind or get such a low priority that it doesn't make the deadline for release. I really hoped those things would have been worked on and implemented for final release instead of adding some "special" vehicles. Sure they can be fun for some time, but for the long term I'd rather have more functionality / usability like the examples mentioned above.

I hope I'm wrong and the answer to those questions is "Of course you can, because we are the coolest and this is what any half-decent racing game needs" ;D If so, I take everything back and will ashamedly stand in the corner for the rest of the day.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:50:16 PM by RickyB »

Calamann

If you go a bit crazy I would really appreciate this. what do you think?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:58:33 PM by Calamann »

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10