Author Topic: Wreckfest - Reviews  (Read 1122 times)

RickyB

Maybe this could be a place to collect links to articles and video reviews of Wreckfest? ...and I don't mean steam user-reviews ;)

Here's a video from ACG - Wreckfest Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

Here's a link to a german review from 'Gamestar' from June 9th. Tested the final release early, has to be the press release.
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/wreckfest-darauf-haben-flatout-fans-gewartet,3330743.html

RoccoTTS

Good review !

MSI TRIDENT-014EU specs : Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 3GB | RAM 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 64 bit (1709)
Thrustmaster TX base | F599XX EVO 30 Alcantara rim | T3PA pedals | Playseat Evolution Alcantara | Panasonic 50" 4K TV

Purple44

Here a reviewer that show some history of "derby racing" and how far we come to Wreckfest before giving his review:

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

RickyB

This is kinda cool... went to metacritic.com, looked up best user ratings of PC games the last 90 days...

and another review

RickyB

another one...

vveyro

Nice to see Metacritic risen to 81. However silly it may be, it actually has an effect. People react differently to yellow 78 than green 81.

Some reviewers give IMO overly low scores. Feels like they maybe played with all assists on and gamepad. Thus missing the biggest selling point after crash physics, the handling. Driving games should be tested with a wheel too, always. Cannot call yourself professional reviewer, if you don't. Almost like testing a primarily VR game, without VR headset. But Wreckfest's "non-serious" look may fool people to think, it's "not one of those wheel games" and they go with gamepad. I've seen even my sim racing friends make this misjudgment, assuming that it's not worth configuring a wheel for, more of "couch and gamepad" kinda game. But I corrected them, and they later understood how wrong they had been...

For me Wreckfest is 90-score game, I wouldn't think so if I never played it with wheel/assists off
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:48:04 PM by vveyro »

RickyB

"Superb"... nice rating. Meanwhile the critics metascore went up to 83, but userscore down from 88 to 84. Made an account and rated... now it's up to 85 :D ... There are just 40 ratings so far... so if anyone wants to help get the userscore up... now is your chance ;)

Favorite random quotes from reviews:    "It is the anti-Forza."     /     "It's like Dirt Rally and BeamNG had a hillbilly child."

tym

You have to take some reviews with a grain of salt, some are paid to give it good reviews, others are not, so they will bash the game. Its a great game and something us gamers really wanted, and its just different.

I think the game is a great time, and had the disposable income to support it. Yea, I hope a few things are improved, and I am sure they will be, but the game is still new, give it time.

Tonza

Gaming Website Polygon pick Wreckfest as one of their best games of 2018 :)
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/29/17386324/best-games-2018-ps4-pc-xbox-one

Purple44

Found this link posted in Wreckfest discord channel:

TheEngiGuy - Today at 10:30 AM
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/06/wreckfest-is-a-splendid-antidote-to-po-faced-racing-sims/
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - PC Game Reviews, Previews, Subjectivity
John Walker
Wreckfest is a splendid antidote to po-faced racing sims
I am not one who subscribes to the school of games criticism where each game is compared to others in its field. Firstly, because you may as well just plot the game on a graph for all the lack of detail and nuance this provides, and secondly because to be meaningful it really...

This review is spot on:
Honestly tired of artificial rubber banding and intentionally-dumb AI in racing games. Reason why I didn't like the first The Crew as much even if the concept was great.(edited)

0skillz

INTEL i7-3770K@ 3.5GHZ || NVIDIA GTX 760 4GB || 32GB GSKILL DDR31600 || 128GB SAMSUNG 830 SSD || 240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD 4TB HDD || 2x 3TB WD RED HDD || DELL U3011 2560x1600 || PS3 WIRELESS CONTROLLER || CORSAIR K60 || LOGITECH G400S || WINDOWS 7 PRO 64

vveyro

Too bad Eurogamer doesn't give scores. Not giving them is (kind of) smart, but it also means no effect on Metascore. Some Russian site gave Wreckfest a bad score, which made it  drop just below Metacritic front page "Top PC games" list (best visibility)

However dumb it may be, Metascore matters for sales. Wonder how Metacritic chooses the sites that are aggregated, because some of the reviews (for many games) included are pretty sub-par, from neverhead sites. Like this Russian site giving crap to Wreckfest about "dated graphics". Dated how. Even their own readers questioned it in the comments

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/06/wreckfest-is-a-splendid-antidote-to-po-faced-racing-sims//

Rock Paper & Shotgun also gave a praising review (kind of respected/known site too), but they also don't give scores. These sites want to appear as "smart" by dropping the scoring, but it also makes their reviews less impactful. And less helpful for a (possibly underdog) developer that made the good game, that they liked
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:49:28 PM by vveyro »

Zebulon55

Found this link posted in Wreckfest discord channel:

TheEngiGuy - Today at 10:30 AM
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/06/wreckfest-is-a-splendid-antidote-to-po-faced-racing-sims/
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - PC Game Reviews, Previews, Subjectivity
John Walker
Wreckfest is a splendid antidote to po-faced racing sims
I am not one who subscribes to the school of games criticism where each game is compared to others in its field. Firstly, because you may as well just plot the game on a graph for all the lack of detail and nuance this provides, and secondly because to be meaningful it really...

This review is spot on:
Honestly tired of artificial rubber banding and intentionally-dumb AI in racing games. Reason why I didn't like the first The Crew as much even if the concept was great.(edited)

Had to lookup "Po-faced".  ??? 

"Serious, lacking humor"   :o

Maybe Bugbear could make a version of the game without the special vehicles and "crashy" figure 8s and two-way tracks, and anything else that seems arcade. 

They could market it to serious sim racing people as "PoFest - For the Po-faced."   ;D

Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

Purple44

Just came across this review today:

The hard-hitting steel on steel appeal of Wreckfest