Author Topic: Update: More Stability + Improvements (29/06/2018)  (Read 1969 times)

DD-Indeed

Howdy friends,

We hope everyone is doing great this fine evening! We're happy to let you know that the latest update for Wreckfest is now out. The update is primarily targeted to address critical stability issues found within the game but since we just couldn't resist ourselves it also contains a healthy dose of other improvements and even introduces new features.

First up, the stability issues – largely thanks to the tireless community feedback we've been able to track down and fix a number of issues that lead to the game instability especially when using game modifications. We're confident that the most critical issues are now solved but if you're still experiencing problems, please let us know via the usual means.

For multiplayer aficionados, the performance should be now smoother and we have added something that many have requested: delayed reset. It's designed to combat reset spamming, and the way it works is that the host can set a delay before the car is reset after player requests it, ranging between 0-20 seconds, and the car is only reset after the time has passed. We've also practically made a full pass on improving the track checkpoints that have caused grievance, so from now on it should be more obvious just where it's alright to cut track and where not, ensuring fairer racing.

In addition to that, the update also contains numerous other improvements and fixes to improve the quality of life, many of them based on the feedback we have received on the community forums and Discord (join here). We sincerely thank everyone who have taken the time to leave feedback – please keep it up so that we can make the game even better!

Full changelog of the update here:
  • MP: Implemented delayed reset, host adjustable between 0–20 seconds.
  • MP: Implemented further optimization to reduce warping with low ping.
  • MP: Dedicated server now automatically uses the x64 executable.
  • Fixed one case in which the game occasionally crashed when entering the Upgrades menu.
  • Fixed one case in which the Market suddenly appeared empty.
  • Game no longer crashes when entering My Cars after disabling a vehicle modification.
  • Game no longer occasionally crashes to vertex buffer overflow on Fairfield Country Arena.
  • In Settings, Controller menu the previously selected controller is now automatically chosen.
  • Added a confirmation dialog if the player is entering Career with active game modifications.
  • Damage notifications and health bar are now correctly updated after returning from Photo Mode.
  • Improved Pause Menu user interface.
  • A number of other user interface improvements.
  • Longer races now yield increasingly better rewards.
  • With Realistic Damage, mechanical damage is now slightly more severe when at maximum.
  • In Last Man Standing, contact timer is now disabled when there are less than four players left.
  • In team based game modes, t-bone, rear-ender and head-on now correct count as major hits.
  • In team based game modes, team indicator is now always shown for better visibility.
  • It's now slightly easier to spin out AI players.
  • The steering wheel of the car no longer deforms in collisions.
  • On Speedway 2, the wrong way indicator is no longer sporadically displayed at the race start.
  • Improved checkpoints on many tracks to allow minor cutting or cutting in places where it doesn't matter.
  • Added obstacles to selected places on various tracks to help the player see when no cutting is allowed.
  • Numerous other minor improvements and fixes.
NOTES FOR CONTENT CREATORS
  • Paint and livery modifications (including additions) do not trigger the anti-tamper protection anymore.
  • To support large modifications the game now supports over 30,000 concurrent vehicle parts in total.
  • The Example Car no longer crashes the game and can be used as an example once again.
That's all for now, folks. Have a great weekend and have fun racing!

Sorry if I bomb you with this this, but I mentioned about the issue with El Matador, did you read about it on Steam forums ? The issue with the part clipping, that causes steering problems ?  ;D

Purple44

Paint and livery modifications (including additions) do not trigger the anti-tamper protection anymore.

Janne or another Bugbear Dev ( I know of 2 Devs that lurk ), could you explain more about the modifications you are referring too?

I did a test with Zeb and his Halloween skin mod and he could join my host, but then get kicked:

This is using vepa skin files. So I take it we still can't use vepa files online?

Are we talking like being able to add your own custom flames or strips to a car? Or we talking about something else custom that we can add, that won't stop us from joining a stock server?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks Ben and all, finally it feels like we have an opportunity to add more polish and fix all these little issues that have been there for so long.

Purple, someone mentioned the same issue yesterday. I tested myself too by adding a new livery and paint parts to my car and could join on a pub with no issues. Have to look into this more closely.

DD-Indeed, sorry there has been so much going on that I probably missed that or forgot about it - what was it again?

Janne Suur-Näkki

Purple, as a matter of fact - was that a paint or a livery part added as a new and then enabled in the car (selected in the Paint Shop)?

---

Hmm not sure what gives, just tested adding a new paint part for Rocket and joining a server, no problems.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:09:50 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »

DD-Indeed

DD-Indeed, sorry there has been so much going on that I probably missed that or forgot about it - what was it again?

When you wreck the frontend, usually the front fenders of Matador, some parts start to have conflict with the wheels or steering parts, resulting limited steering capabilities, which are really annoying. Good example of this usually happens at ovals: damaging the right front of the car limits the steering to the left, but steering works just fine to the right. It goes so bad that you need to slow down dramatically at corners in order to make the car turn at all.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks, will test.

Purple44

Purple, as a matter of fact - was that a paint or a livery part added as a new and then enabled in the car (selected in the Paint Shop)?

The halloween skin is just your normal skin, was done back in Oct 2017. Using a vepa file to load custom skin in it own skin slot.

When you say livery part, this would be the flames, strips, etc decals we see in livery section? If so, does this mean the skinners can make custom flames or strips or whatever for a decal to put on top of main skin?

So say there 5 different livery decals for the Killerbee, Can skinner add a 6th decal or does he have to overwrite one the stock decals in the livery section?

Same for a custom style paint skin. can you add a new style skin slot for new custom skin, or got overwrite one the existing stock skins?

Or does "Paint and livery modifications (including additions) do not trigger the anti-tamper protection anymore." mean totally different other stuff we can do?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Janne Suur-Näkki

Can I please have the Halloween paint (and the textures, obviously) for testing? Would love to take a look at it and test.

And yes, even added paints (skins) and liveries should work online now even if the server doesn't have the same files. I just tested adding a completely new paint for Rocket and it seemed to work fine online.

On ville672's server with custom paint (sorry for the missing texture, lazy but it shouldn't matter):

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:36:09 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »

Daystar

Janne is it possible for you guys to make weathers no being recognized as a mod?  this way my custom weathers can be played online without it triggering the modded status.
Thanks for your time

Janne Suur-Näkki

No problem, should be possible - at least right off the bat I can see no reason why not.

Daystar

No problem, should be possible - at least right off the bat I can see no reason why not.

Thanks :-) Yeah it would help me with my best lap times as well. because when mods are detected,  I get no access to leader boards and making best lap times, when I am testing weathers that I make.

basti4655

I can confirm the problem with el matador.

When you crash the front will bend downwards into the ground and completely messing up the steering, and when it happens there is always a crashing sound coming up. Definetly a clipping issue.
I7-6700K, GTX 770, 8Gb Ram, Win 10 64bit

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks basti and DD-Indeed, will be fixed in the next update.

Zebulon55

Can I please have the Halloween paint (and the textures, obviously) for testing? Would love to take a look at it and test.

And yes, even added paints (skins) and liveries should work online now even if the server doesn't have the same files. I just tested adding a completely new paint for Rocket and it seemed to work fine online.

On ville672's server with custom paint (sorry for the missing texture, lazy but it shouldn't matter):

Janne;

The Halloween skins was a workshop mod I did back in October; I got kicked from Purple's stock server on joining last night, but it may be because those skins weren't updated. I see the .vepa files have changed some since October. The liveries are also quite different, now using RGB channels for 3 color choices, but Halloween mod doesn't use liveries. I need to update that mod.
Halloween skins work if server has the mod active - that's why I am suspicious of the old version .vepas. (matching old files)

Anyway, I was explaining the workings of the new liveries to Purple44 last night, and decided to make a quick and dirty livery to mod replace a Hammerhead livery in order to help explain.
Well, success! Cool paint features!

In testing, I noticed you also made a 44 and a 55 paint style for Hammerhead!   8)  Thanks!

Edit/ I should mention that I got in the habit of having my UI order numbers start at 5500, never caused a problem before.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:31:28 PM by Zebulon55 »
Dell Inspiron 17 7720 with Nvidia GT650 graphics. Keyboard control.

Lame, I know.

Calamann

Thanks for this great update! I love the way the reset delay works :) One thing that struck me is the reset position on creash canion. I only tried it with the bus, but the reset position is exactly in the middle of the track, so that the bus tips over at reset. I can only continue driving after several reset attempts.
I  L O V E  W R E C K F E S T

ASUS Z87-C
Intel Core i7 4790
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / 4GB
16 GB DDR3
128 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
Windows 10