Author Topic: Dedicated server - how do bans work?  (Read 143 times)

presuming ed

Just hoping for a little guidance.

I run a dedicated server and, sadly, every now and again, some bans are necessary.

I can see there's a banlist file in my profile and that it can be opened with BagEdit. I can see a list of bans in there.

But if I add a ban manually into that file (retro banning using a Steam ID after seeing peiople play up when I wasn't on the server for instance) it doesn't seem to take effect - I've tested by banning myself.

If I do it via the server console the ban does take effect, but it doesn't seem to change the ban file much, other than incrementing the number of times banned.

Does the server only look at the banlist file when it opens?

And typing 'bans' at the console window only seems to show the users who were banned in this session - are the others still banned?

If I bagedit the banlist file and change ban is active from 0 to 1, or 1 to 0, then save the banlist file, when will that change be recognised by the server?

Thanks!

Janne Suur-Näkki

For retro-banning, you should use the console command /bansteamid.

It's not recommended to edit the bag file directly.

presuming ed

For retro-banning, you should use the console command /bansteamid.

It's not recommended to edit the bag file directly.

OK thanks - but that makes it very difficult to unban people, if I'm having a good day and want to be kind, as people banned in previous sessions don't show up in the ban list.

Janne Suur-Näkki

That's a good point. I guess you could look up the SteamIDs and then unban those in the server console.

I'm can't say for whether the bag file will be hotloaded after making changes to it, would need to test.

presuming ed

That's a good point. I guess you could look up the SteamIDs and then unban those in the server console.

I'm can't say for whether the bag file will be hotloaded after making changes to it, would need to test.

Thanks - I suspect it doesn't. In fact, even restarting the server doesn't seem to make it pick up values from the bag file. I added myself to the ban file (looked up Steam ID) saved, quitted the bag editor then restarted the server but could still join.

Then added the same Steam ID through /bansteamID and it worked - although all that seemed to have happened in the bag file was that number of times banned incremented from 1 to 2.

All immaterial I guess, if we're not meant to edit that file anyway!

I was just being lazy as I can't paste a steam ID into the dedicated server console window and didn't want to type them out!

sam223

@ed you should be able to paste. Right click console title bar>edit>paste
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2