Author Topic: Reverse Detection  (Read 396 times)

Bobby_Go

Please add an option for a server to detect when a player is traveling backwards on a track excessively.  Auto wreck/DNF once a threshold is met.

Purple44

Please add an option for a server to detect when a player is traveling backwards on a track excessively.  Auto wreck/DNF once a threshold is met.

There is a reverse limiter option that will slow a player down if going backwards. But most server leave this option disable, especially if doing fig8 tracks.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Bobby_Go

There is a reverse limiter option that will slow a player down if going backwards. But most server leave this option disable, especially if doing fig8 tracks.

I understand the desire to not penalize backwards driving on collision-heavy tracks, however, that doesn't change that fact that slowing a player down is not going to stop them from being a dick if that's what they want to do.  There should be a more severe consequence available to dissuade this type of behavior.  Perhaps then it might actually be used by more servers.

Also, the proposed solution wouldn't even really effect figure 8 tracks or the like.  The game knows where you need to go to get "back on" track, so it should be able to reasonably determine if you are headed in that direction or not.  Your "amount of backwardness" would only increase if you were not headed in that direction and, even if the game erroneously thought you weren't, no negative effects would happen to you until the threshold is met.  If it does somehow become an issue, then those types of tracks could become exempt or allowed adjustments to the maximum threshold.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:37:42 AM by Bobby_Go »

Heddly

You can always ban the offending player.

Bobby_Go

You can always ban the offending player.

That's great if there's an admin or host around to do the banning.  What I'm talking about is when there is not (aka, the majority of the time).

I've never seen anyone successfully voted out in a lobby when it had more than 3 people in it.  People just don't vote no matter how much it's deserved.

Automating effective repercussions keeps everyone honest, irrespective of who is watching them.

Heddly

I did not see anything about a dedicated server mentioned. I assumed that you were hosting. Sorry about the confusion.

Bobby_Go

There's no need to be sorry.  I might come off as arrogantly thinking I'm right (because I truly think I am), but I certainly don't have a complete understanding of all the game elements and might misapply or omit specifics at times.

I definitely think there should be harsher punishments available to inhibit backwards driving.  It's such an experience ruiner.  There will always be lobbies available that will cater to that crowd.  The only option for (semi)clean racing we have is to slow them down, and that simply isn't enough to stop them.

I'm open to any and all discussions about or alternatives to the topic.

P.S. How did you get your Steam profile to work?  Do I need to do anything in Steam?

Heddly

P.S. How did you get your Steam profile to work?  Do I need to do anything in Steam?

I searched and found this:

On a second look, it seems like the this feature is currently somehow broken.