Author Topic: How come custom skyboxes get's butchered?  (Read 215 times)

The Very End

Hey!

So, was just going to add a simple skybox (this one is not the one I intended to do), to get lights and whatnot right. But see the two pictures attached. The one is from the original source (zoomed in to prove the point) and the other is in-game. Any idea why it looks like this? Looks like the good old days when you forgot to set the game to 32b. color depth :/

Picture 1, zoomed in A LOT:

Picture 2, in game at distance (not exact position but proves the point):

Even whent on and used 4k textures for testing purpose with no changes. BB's own texture is in  range of 1024 / 2048, so I just... I don't get it.

Edit: Also made sure to convert from png to tga with photoshop with best possible settings (no compressions and 32 in color depth), but didn't help much.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:40:37 PM by The Very End »

Daystar

I feel your pain Tor! well hey, lookit, try these settings for fun. the highlighted ones.

Maybe it helps?

Also: You can try the skybox app I use ;) http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=30592946966690647370

Good luck!

The Very End

Thanks for suggestions :)
But to me it looks like the texture that is used for the skies somehow get down-scaled or whatnot into a pixelated mess when in Wreckfest. The resolution is higher than what BB uses but it is not smooth. Wish there was a trick to it >.<

Daystar

Thanks for suggestions :)
But to me it looks like the texture that is used for the skies somehow get down-scaled or whatnot into a pixelated mess when in Wreckfest. The resolution is higher than what BB uses but it is not smooth. Wish there was a trick to it >.<

Welcome, and yeah I know what you mean! I took apart one of Bugbears weathers and also seen that it was a tiny 1024 and a gif at that! I usually just get very high rez 4k and run it through my skybox app.

But it is very hard to find real good images that look great in WF.

Give my skybox app a try at least. below is one of my weathers that turned out real good. Believe that is from my Mega Skypack 4 which I will be re-releasing in about a month or 2

Cheers mate!

The Very End

Will check it out ty :) What I tested with was pre made skyboxes where all were 2k textures.

Mazay

Pixelated? Is this about mipmaps?, if I recall correctly bugbear skies had mipmaps disabled.

bimage.exe -nomipmap or -panorama2skybox migh be some help. Not sure what latter does. Probaly generates spheremap from panorama.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:25:04 PM by Mazay »

The Very End

Not sure, but maybe that is a thing. Is mimap something you turn off in Photoshop or on export / packing?

And the issue is that color transition do not look good. If you compare the dark to light area in the two pictures it reminds me of the time when you could those 16 or 32 bit color depth.

Mazay

I don't know how to do it in photoshop. Last time I did I made copy of build_asset.bat and wrote -nomipmap there.

The Very End

Thanks for tips! Read up on the thing and it got to be sorted at export. The nomipmap tag, you write it in launch options / parameters in the exe in Windows?

Mazay

What I did, open the copy of build_asset.bat to notepad and add -nomipmap there to command line code:

Code: (Build_asset.bat) [Select]
:BuildTexture
"%scriptdir%bimage.exe" -auto -nomipmap -input "%in_fullpath%" -output "%out_noext%.bmap" || (pause && exit /b 1)

You could also use bimage.exe from command line typing all commands your own.

The Very End

What I did, open the copy of build_asset.bat to notepad and add -nomipmap there to command line code:

Code: (Build_asset.bat) [Select]
:BuildTexture
"%scriptdir%bimage.exe" -auto -nomipmap -input "%in_fullpath%" -output "%out_noext%.bmap" || (pause && exit /b 1)

You could also use bimage.exe from command line typing all commands your own.

Great! But long story short, in the process of resetting the windows due to ... stuff. Any chance you could upload a no mipmap version here?

Sorry for being useless (that's why I am resetting windows now haha) :p

Mazay

Ok there. It should work once you put it in tools folder and drag .tga over it. No guarantee lol

The Very End

Thanks a lot for help! Will check it out later when this OS is sorted out (on phone atm).